World snooker Championship qualifiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by trains View Post

alex higgins became a household name on tables that aren't as demanding as these , if people don't like modern snooker either lobby wst to introduce easier tables or continue to pine for the past , i'll still probably be here giving my angle and you and your's likewise , ooh the drama , its a bit like higgins clearance against that underrated player jimmy white in 1982 !!
    Alex Higgins became a household name and called the people’s champion because he played on any table in any club ,he knocked in tons on old thread bare tight billiard tables and hated leaving an exhibition he was playing in unless he gave the crowd a century ,something the modern pampered player couldn’t do or wouldn’t want to .Alex Higgins in his prime would be up there with any player today ,Higgins 1982 was passed his prime but he was still brilliant at times .

Comment

• Originally Posted by mikee View Post
      Not sure it has anything to do with who makes the tables as to what makes a boring slow player ,Ebdon and O Brian were dreary on
      BCE / Riley as well as Star .Lesowski ,O’Sullivan ,Trump ,Un noo ,are all great players to watch on any table .Some people might enjoy watching Ricky Walden ,Lee Walker etc and watching a fishing match on sky sports .Demanding tables ? Not on the two main tv tables that’s for sure ,maybe on the outside ones that don’t get re covered so much or the same attention paid to pocket templates .Wether you like it or not Trains snooker is entertainment and it would be off our screens pretty quick if we had to have match’s pulled off all the time because certain players can’t finish their games in a reasonable time .Barry Hearn looks after Ronnie and keeps him in the game because he’s box office ,he’s a business man and knows what the public want to see .
      don't take this the wrong way yourself or Steve but you both come across somewhat as lacking the understanding of appreciating the concept of ' defence ' in modern pro snooker , when Ali carter plays 21 year old Chinese pang junxu this afternoon carter will find out quickly that his opponent doesn't give anything away easily and is very good at winning frames , carter will most likely know this already , there's very few lads in Britain if any at all at that young age with that kind of sat nav knowledge around a pro table , what has Hearn done to redress that , so this convo's kind of like a microcosm of the problem , the only thing I find boring in pro snooker is talk about ranking points and tour survival , how can someone as good as Xu Si who beat hendry a few days ago but narrowly lost to Zhou Yuelong on Saturday be sitting around chewing his nails not knowing if he will survive the cut for next season , bonkers , and even Si when he was on 60 odd trying to close the match 6 - 4 vs Zhou if he gave a little more thought to the defensive aspect and knocked the black safe instead of trying to knock more reds open on an unfavourable angle he'd most likely still be in the tournament , that isn't being boring it's just good smart defensive play , similar to when Italy won the World Cup in 2006 with players like Fabio Cannavaro and Alessandro Nesta , never boring players just good smart players you win championships with , Judd Trump would never be where he is without that defensive prowess either and he knows it as well as anyone .

Comment

• Personally I think you need all types of player to make the game interesting to watch . It has nothing to do with what era it is but comes down to conflicting styles of players. Slower players and faster along with those who play more defensively are all part of the game . I think there is too much emphasis on shot times , speed of players etc. If everybody played like the same I’d find it more boring to watch even if if everybody played like Ronnie . It’s getting to a point that wins are being devalued because the victors shot time is above a certain time which is ridiculous. The press and tv coverage are playing into this as well and I don't think it’s healthy for the game.

Trains,
        Its not for Barry Hearn to address why younger players in Britain aren’t playing more tactically . That astute way of playing is normally something that comes through match experience and age.

Comment

• Everyone enjoys the game for different reasons bud, to assume I know nothing about holding on to a lead in snooker or defensive play is pretty insulting being as that is probably 30/40% of the game these days, I don’t see why you feel the need to analyse everyone’s comments in detail and then go off on a tangent?? I could have ripped you a new one after your Jamie Clarke none sense last year, being so bullish and swearing to go down the club with his face on a T-Shirt, but no. Why say that if you didn’t mean it? Probably for the same reason I said Igor was like watching paint dry? I dunno... Frankly it just p**ses people off and feels like your just attacking people sometimes, as though your somehow much smarter than everyone else, we should all bow to your superior knowledge (which is good but no need to rub it in our faces!)

Snooker is a sport at the end of the day and players choose to follow their path. For me it’s on TV therefore it is classed as ‘entertainment’ I think you’ll agree on that one! After all, why else do we watch TV? Therefore if I’m not feeling entertained one evening I’ll just randomly blurt it out on here or elsewhere, no reason just because I can.

Football can’t be compared to snooker, the money involved is frankly ridiculous! Personally I hate football, always have.

Going back to Igor, I think it’s more his mannerisms around the table that are like watching paint dry even more than his gameplay... Plodding around the table, standing behind the shot for 10 seconds on a simple shot just chalking his cue 10 times with his shirt hanging out. Personally for me the modern player has to entertain as well as perform. That’s how I remember Great players.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
            Trains,
            Its not for Barry Hearn to address why younger players in Britain aren’t playing more tactically . That astute way of playing is normally something that comes through match experience and age.
            the 2 cushion escape from baulk clipping the reds and returning back to baulk is a common and important shot in modern pro snooker , how are young British lads meant to familiarise themselves with that shot when there's hardly any pro tables with the similar flight and speed off the cushions to replicate , do you think they would be equipped for that shot going to the q school practising from their local hurricane rooms club

Comment

the 2 cushion escape from baulk clipping the reds and returning back to baulk is a common and important shot in modern pro snooker , how are young British lads meant to familiarise themselves with that shot when there's hardly any pro tables with the similar flight and speed off the cushions to replicate , do you think they would be equipped for that shot going to the q school practising from their local hurricane rooms club

is there any question or subject that doesn’t come back to this in your eyes ....

Comment

• Originally Posted by Danger Steve View Post
                Everyone enjoys the game for different reasons bud, to assume I know nothing about holding on to a lead in snooker or defensive play is pretty insulting being as that is probably 30/40% of the game these days, I don’t see why you feel the need to analyse everyone’s comments in detail and then go off on a tangent?? I could have ripped you a new one after your Jamie Clarke none sense last year, being so bullish and swearing to go down the club with his face on a T-Shirt, but no. Why say that if you didn’t mean it? Probably for the same reason I said Igor was like watching paint dry? I dunno... Frankly it just p**ses people off and feels like your just attacking people sometimes, as though your somehow much smarter than everyone else, we should all bow to your superior knowledge (which is good but no need to rub it in our faces!)

Snooker is a sport at the end of the day and players choose to follow their path. For me it’s on TV therefore it is classed as ‘entertainment’ I think you’ll agree on that one! After all, why else do we watch TV? Therefore if I’m not feeling entertained one evening I’ll just randomly blurt it out on here or elsewhere, no reason just because I can.

Football can’t be compared to snooker, the money involved is frankly ridiculous! Personally I hate football, always have.

Going back to Igor, I think it’s more his mannerisms around the table that are like watching paint dry even more than his gameplay... Plodding around the table, standing behind the shot for 10 seconds on a simple shot just chalking his cue 10 times with his shirt hanging out. Personally for me the modern player has to entertain as well as perform. That’s how I remember Great players.
                when i was talking about snappy snaps i was just having some banter with you , why on earth are you talking about that eight months later i can only suspect its because you don't know what else to say , and again how on earth am i being bullish , do you not think there'd be a standards and procedures conversation among wst management if they thought their product wasn't entertaining enough , o sullivan the last time he played rod lawler praised lawler for his professionalism and tough matchplay , if you didn't like the igor match why didn't you watch the ryan day match instead which was more attacking , none of what i've said to you is going off on a tangent its just about the reality of winning competitive pro snooker matches and the choices available to you as a viewer via digital tv smartphones and the net .

Comment

is there any question or subject that doesn’t come back to this in your eyes ....
                  are you an american with an irony issue , you asked me about tactical play and your response is that you've spoke to me about this before , is that it ?

Comment

there's very few lads in Britain if any at all at that young age with that kind of sat nav knowledge around a pro table , what has Hearn done to redress that .
                    This is the issue Trains, I’m answering your previous reply above which states about lack of knowledge for younger players in Britain and you’ve then turned that around to suit your own agenda again.

Comment

This is the issue Trains, I’m answering your previous reply above which states about lack of knowledge for younger players in Britain and you’ve then turned that around to suit your own agenda again.
                      what on earth are you talking about , i pointed out that very few young lads in england have the table craft of the 21 year old chinese pang junxu , am i incorrect with this , where on earth is there an agenda

Comment

• Howdy Trains,

I think you might need to read over our question and answers again. Tbh , life is too short to get into another tit for tat with you which is a shame as I think you’ve got some interesting opinions.

Comment

Howdy Trains,

I think you might need to read over our question and answers again. Tbh , life is too short to get into another tit for tat with you which is a shame as I think you’ve got some interesting opinions.
                          lol you're comedy gold , you don't know what to say so you make out the person you're talking to needs to review his comprehension

Comment

when i was talking about snappy snaps i was just having some banter with you , why on earth are you talking about that eight months later i can only suspect its because you don't know what else to say , and again how on earth am i being bullish , do you not think there'd be a standards and procedures conversation among wst management if they thought their product wasn't entertaining enough , o sullivan the last time he played rod lawler praised lawler for his professionalism and tough matchplay , if you didn't like the igor match why didn't you watch the ryan day match instead which was more attacking , none of what i've said to you is going off on a tangent its just about the reality of winning competitive pro snooker matches and the choices available to you as a viewer via digital tv smartphones and the net .
                            My point 8 months later is that when you talk utter ****e it’s friendly banter, when anyone else talks ****e you have to make out like we’re uneducated idiots. Simple as that, nothing to do with why the game is on it’s arse and why the Chinese are awesome or why playing on anything other than pro tables means your never going to be good enough.

No your right I don’t have anything else to say because I don’t spend all my time analysing everyone posts word for word and making notes on an Excel spreadsheet as to who said what when and why.

I’m happy to have a friendly discussion now and then, but I don’t want to get involved in some kind of snooker tennis match with mr trains over the smallest comment. Just accept it as it was intended, a silly flippant comment.

GL Starsky, I’ll let you take over from here matey! Lol

Comment

My point 8 months later is that when you talk utter ****e it’s friendly banter, when anyone else talks ****e you have to make out like we’re uneducated idiots. Simple as that, nothing to do with why the game is on it’s arse and why the Chinese are awesome or why playing on anything other than pro tables means your never going to be good enough.

No your right I don’t have anything else to say because I don’t spend all my time analysing everyone posts word for word and making notes on an Excel spreadsheet as to who said what when and why.

I’m happy to have a friendly discussion now and then, but I don’t want to get involved in some kind of snooker tennis match with mr trains over the smallest comment. Just accept it as it was intended, a silly flippant comment.

Pubs are open today , I think I might need to visit one

If you knew me outside of the forum you’ll know that being accused of having nothing to say is alien to me

Comment

' when you talk utter ****e '
                                you make out i do this often , do i ? i've asked you twice now about watching the ryan day vs louis heathcote match which you've mysteriously ignored , why didn't you just watch that match , its like you're indirectly asking people to explain professional snooker to you

Comment

Working...
                                X