X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vmax
    replied
    Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    That’s correct ,the big bank of lights give the table an extra zip on the cushions .Selby and O’Sullivan both said last year it’s impossible to replicate tournament conditions on club or home tables as the cloth is changed every 3 days ,this is what’s wrong with the game ,Ronnie said he can’t be arsed to practice much as getting to the match table is nothing like what you have been playing on in practice .The old no 10 cloth used to be 35 ounce and lasted until the final ,or semi final ,no heaters then Either .,a thicker cloth and keep the heaters would be a start for some normality and consistency ,seeing the back of those Star tables would be even better .
    These conditions evolved to suit the Aramith phenolic resin balls, they don't work on more heavily napped cloths. A lot of the problems with the modern game stem from Saluc's takeover of all the major billiard ball manufacturers to get themselves a monopoly.
    All the major cue sports need to get together and put out to tender a search for a better composite material to make billiard balls from, one that doesn't make the game a bad contact lottery.
    Back in the day bad contacts and kicks were rare, those of you who didn't go through the change of balls simply don't know. Aramith balls play differently, contacts are prolonged because the surface of the balls are rougher, they pick up chalk more easily for that reason, hold surface moisture from the atmosphere for that reason, have more resistance to the nap for that reason.

Pockets need to be a tad smaller as well, a ball shouldn't pot that touches the cushion before the pocket jaw, almost every ton I see on tv contains two or three pots that woudn't pot on our clubs match table This will give more emphasis to safety play, and btw, one doesn't have to be a slow coach to play good safety. Those slow players are deliberately slow simply to bore the concentration out of their opponent, you can bet they aren't that slow in practise.

And lose the legacy of the after dinner brandy and cigars aristocratic country house billiards room dress code, it's a working class game, and has been for a long time. Current fashions should be allowed, arse cracks being the exception It was very strange to watch Reanne Evans dressed like an 18th century butler, no wonder very few females take an interest, they like to look good and should be allowed to.

Leave a comment:

• Cue crafty
    replied
    Oh for someone to mention a new player who's mustard!!

Leave a comment:

• neuronic
    replied
    Meanwhile on Judgement Night: Graeme Dott only trailing by two, needs the last three. Cmon, Graeme.

Leave a comment:

• Danger Steve
    replied
    Steve I made my own electric ball cleaner a few weeks ago with some some soft carpet , a bucket and a Clarkes 10inch electric buffer ,balls come out like new ,just chuck em in with some polish for a few mins while you brush the table ,and the jobs a good un .They come out like new .
    Sounds great! I defo need to make one of these, do you have any pics I could see? Cleaning them all is a proper ball ache at times! So much so I sometimes don’t even bother with the reds, just the white, pink & black.

Leave a comment:

• Danger Steve
    replied
    Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post

Yes from 20 feet away. Those lighting rigs are huge, I don't know how many watts they are but it must be thousands, you'd definitely feel it at that distance. It partly depends on the spectrum or colour temperature they use, but as they want the colours to show up correctly I would imagine it's quite a wide full spectrum, including some low end frequencies which are closer to the infra red end.

-

I was on the 3rd row back at the Champ of Champs and had my jacket on the whole time it was so cold!! I guess Robbo & Judd were ok then with the lights giving off heat! There was me thinking I was just being soft! Lol

Leave a comment:

• mikee
    replied
    Originally Posted by Danger Steve View Post
    I know on my own table when humidity is low and the temperature is about 19/20 degrees and I’ve had the table heating on warming up for an hour or two the cushions seem to have more bounce some days. They also seem to have better bounce when I’ve given the balls a good clean!
    Steve I made my own electric ball cleaner a few weeks ago with some some soft carpet , a bucket and a Clarkes 10inch electric buffer ,balls come out like new ,just chuck em in with some polish for a few mins while you brush the table ,and the jobs a good un .They come out like new .

Leave a comment:

• mikee
    replied
    I have stood under the lighting rig at the Crucible ,and its warm ,there really is a lot of lights .

Leave a comment:

• PatBlock
    replied
    They also seem to have better bounce when I’ve given the balls a good clean!
    Mr Sheen?

-
    Last edited by PatBlock; 13 April 2021, 03:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PatBlock
    replied
    From like 20 feet away though? Hummm.. I’m going to have a touchy feel of my lights tonight and see just how hot they get after a couple of hours.
    Yes from 20 feet away. Those lighting rigs are huge, I don't know how many watts they are but it must be thousands, you'd definitely feel it at that distance. It partly depends on the spectrum or colour temperature they use, but as they want the colours to show up correctly I would imagine it's quite a wide full spectrum, including some low end frequencies which are closer to the infra red end.

-

Leave a comment:

• Danger Steve
    replied
    I know on my own table when humidity is low and the temperature is about 19/20 degrees and I’ve had the table heating on warming up for an hour or two the cushions seem to have more bounce some days. They also seem to have better bounce when I’ve given the balls a good clean!

Leave a comment:

• Danger Steve
    replied
    From like 20 feet away though? Hummm.. I’m going to have a touchy feel of my lights tonight and see just how hot they get after a couple of hours.

Leave a comment:

• PatBlock
    replied

Really?? Mikee how do the big lights effect the speed of the cushions, do you know? You would think if they are LED lights, then LED’s give off virtually not heat. So it can’t be the heat from the lights? Never heard this one before, interesting...
    They certainly do Steve. Maybe not quite as much as incandescent lights, but at the end of the day, heat is light and vice versa. I've got quite a few LED torches and they can get very hot indeed after they've been on for a bit. I've also got an LED spotlight above my pool table and that also gets quite hot. So that huge bank of lights over the tournament tables will make a big difference to the overall temperature.

-

Leave a comment:

• Danger Steve
    replied
    That’s correct ,the big bank of lights give the table an extra zip on the cushions .Selby and O’Sullivan both said last year it’s impossible to replicate tournament conditions on club or home tables as the cloth is changed every 3 days ,this is what’s wrong with the game ,Ronnie said he can’t be arsed to practice much as getting to the match table is nothing like what you have been playing on in practice .The old no 10 cloth used to be 35 ounce and lasted until the final ,or semi final ,no heaters then Either .,a thicker cloth and keep the heaters would be a start for some normality and consistency ,seeing the back of those Star tables would be even better .
    Really?? Mikee how do the big lights effect the speed of the cushions, do you know? You would think if they are LED lights, then LED’s give off virtually not heat. So it can’t be the heat from the lights? Never heard this one before, interesting...

Leave a comment:

• Danger Steve
    replied
    Personally I think it’s about time tables had a revamp! The technology is old now, there must be something more high-tech that could be done? Adding more fancy electronics? Making the game somehow more technologically advanced? Although this would probably widen the gap even more between pro’s and amateurs as tables would cost too much... can’t win either way! Lol

I did think yesterday what if pro players where made to have a young apprentice or 2? That way the younger player would get experience playing on better tables and at playing the best in the world.

Leave a comment:

• mikee
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X