British Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Open

It says on snooker.org that John Higgins is the defending champion for this tournament, when did he win this before? I don't remember it last year. Best of 5s until the QFs Why don't they just bring back pot black and have done with it.

-
    The fast and the furious,
    The slow and labourious,
    All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

https://cuetracker.net/tournaments/b...-open/2004/219
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Thanks Dean. Not quite the same competition though is it, from best of 9 in the first rounds and best of 17 in the final to best of 5 and 7 in the final. Pathetic.

EDIT: My mistake, the final's best of 11. Best of 5 until the QFs thought.

-
      Last edited by PatBlock; 10 August 2021, 12:15 AM.
      The fast and the furious,
      The slow and labourious,
      All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

I’ve never minded best of sevens since they came out around 2011 but i get the argument the other way especially with best of fives , it just seems synonymous with wst as a body , its like they hoisted out best of fives at the 2020 q school and were testing the waters to see if it would pass without too many complaints , continuing on with the championship league and even best of threes in the pro series it seems to have gone smoothly enough for them so this trend will probably continue until enough folk kick up a fuss about it it seems.

Comment

Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post

Thanks Dean. Not quite the same competition though is it, from best of 9 in the first rounds and best of 17 in the final to best of 5 and 7 in the final. Pathetic.

EDIT: My mistake, the final's best of 11. Best of 5 until the QFs thought.

-
          Agree. This one is an easy miss.

Comment

On Yee has withdrawn from this event . Shame , as interesting to see how she does this season .
            No reason for the withdrawal on WST .
            Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Jamie O’Neill has been suspended due to his behaviour at Milton Keynes in a previous tournament .
              Dave Hendon has spoken about it on his podcast. He rightly states that he hasn’t withdrawn from this tournament and the disciplinary process within the WST is a bit murky
              Last edited by Starsky; 11 August 2021, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
                Jamie O’Neill has been suspended due to his behaviour at Milton Keynes in a previous tournament .
                Dave Hendon has spoken about it on his podcast. He rightly states that he hasn’t withdrawn from this tournament and the disciplinary process within the WST is a bit murky
                I assume this was back-stage?
                I don't recall anything at the table.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

I assume this was back-stage?
                  I don't recall anything at the table.
                  Who knows Dean ?.
                  This is the problem , with other sports there would be a statement made etc . It’s all cloak and dagger with the snooker hierarchy or so it comes across like that

Comment

Who knows Dean ?.
                    This is the problem , with other sports there would be a statement made etc . It’s all cloak and dagger with the snooker hierarchy or so it comes across like that
                    All I can find is him withdrawing back in July.
                    Nothing about being suspended.
                    https://wst.tv/oneill-withdraws-from-british-open/

hey ho, all will come out in the wash

Comment

I listened to that depressingly predictable tapdance podcast from the neverenders hendon and yates , yates doesnt get it if people are still more interested in watching the 59 year old overrated and never has been jimmy white than most other players then thats the audiences problem and wst owes him nothing.

I think o neill might have said or tweeted something politically controversial last year , if thats the reason i dont know why it would be treated so confidentially though, a bit of controversy would do no harm, isnt that supposedly what help build the game re the hurricane ?

Comment

Calling Jimmy White a never has been ,shows you have learnt nothing about the game and it’s history .White knows he blew World Championships ,he still won a shed load of tournaments and 10 ranking events .90% of the pros today have no chance of winning anything ,Jimmy won titles whacked out his bonce .You need an example of a never has been player then look at Ding ,couple of Uk titles and not much else in over 15 years ,and no chance of winning the World title IMO .

Comment

Originally Posted by mikee View Post
                          Calling Jimmy White a never has been ,shows you have learnt nothing about the game and it’s history .White knows he blew World Championships ,he still won a shed load of tournaments and 10 ranking events .90% of the pros today have no chance of winning anything ,Jimmy won titles whacked out his bonce .You need an example of a never has been player then look at Ding ,couple of Uk titles and not much else in over 15 years ,and no chance of winning the World title IMO .
                          Agree about Jimmy. Disagree about Ding. Ding has won the UK 3 times, the Masters, China Open twice and the International once as well as another 8 ranking events. He's won more titles and titles of prestige than Jimmy, whose only big wins where the UK and Masters once each. He isn't the best example to give when you're trying to big up Jimmy's achievements. You could have picked any of about 120 of the other current pros.

Comment

Yes I could but he’s crumbled in the big one just like Jimmy ,snatching defeat from the jaws of victory .My point being that Ding had the talent just like Jimmy did ,most of the other pros won’t win anything ,they may make a decent living ,but the world championship seems to be different .Yan is the only one that may buck the trend he seems different .Trains is calling White a never has been on the grounds he’s not landed the Worlds ,then neither has Ding .Theres nearly a tournament a week now ,there never was much years ago .I’m sticking with him as a good example of bottling it .

Comment

Nah clive everton once said ‘ there are those who have won the world championship and those who haven’t ‘ , implying crucible winners were a cut above , i never ascribed to that train of thought but i do think in the collective scheme of things when you weigh white’s record against established pro’s who turned pro in the 90’s and players since and his record in the millennium in a physically negligible game it all doesn’t measure too favourably so i’ll stick to my take as well.

Enjoying this freesports channels snooker coverage , does anyone know since when this channel has been covering snooker ? Dean or anyone , cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X