No announcement yet.

Wuxi Classic 2013 - Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surely that will completely break Stevens' resolve, to lose a frame like that on a re-spotted black. That really was a poor shot, leaving the red over the middle like that...

Comment

Stevens has always frustrated me. Very good player but lacks a killer instinct when the going gets tough, something that Higgins most definitely has, as demonstrated by the clearance in the last frame to force the respotted black. Amazing how many times he has done that over the years.

Comment

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
        Yep, I think it is going to be a Robertson versus Higgins final . . .
        Yeah, it's hard to see Mat coming back from 4 - 0 now. Higgins v Robbo should make a good final though.

-
        The fast and the furious,
        The slow and labourious,
        All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

Great performances from Higgins and Robertson, both players have been top class all week. Can't wait for the final.

Comment

I'm very much looking forward to this final...

It will be the biggest match between these two players to date and the first time they meet each other in a major final. They have had quite a few good ones over the years, back when Robertson was still a qualifier and also in the time when they are both at the top of the game. Robertson has had slightly more success in the major matches, but Higgins is ahead when the shorter ones are taken into account as well.

On this week's form, I think Robertson is a slight favourite. He has arguably faced tougher opposition and was even in trouble at one point against Cao Yupeng, but I think he has been more efficient in taking advantage of his chances. He looked very concentrated and composed against Milkins, dominating the match right from the start. Cao put him under more pressure, but Robertson handled that very well, winning the last two frames convincingly. Higgins has had it much easier, only losing six frames in the five matches he's played. He has played a good tournament, certainly a better one than most last season, but I don't think he has been as good as in Shanghai last year. The key for him has been starting matches well, putting his opponents under pressure immediately. He gave Perry and Stevens some chances after that, losing his concentration a bit, but most of the job had already been done at that point.

The thing with Higgins is... he doesn't really play bad finals. He has won eight out of the last ten in major ranking events. He went behind in three of those, but even then he managed to come back and win them. He may be vulnerable in the early rounds, but once he reaches the semi-finals he is usually the man to beat, and he usually does the job as well, no matter how he had played earlier. I guess Robertson has a similar reputation in some ways. He too doesn't often put in bad performances in the final stages of events, and he too has an excellent record in ranking finals, winning six out of the seven long ones. I think these two are playing in the same league at this point in time, so neither of them will feel like a big underdog or a big favourite. Higgins' reputation won't scare Robertson like it does some players, so he won't be getting any gifts in this match. On the other hand, Robertson's "luck" with his opponents in finals has now definitely run out, as the last few have been really tough, and he knows he is playing a great champion this time. I think they could bring the best out of each other and it could be a really good match. If I had to call it, I would say Robertson to win 10-8.

Bring it on! :smile:

Comment

Yes it should be a great match . . . . hopefully Neil gets off to a good start!
              My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
              I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Quite appropriate disturbances from outside while the thunder from down under was making that break. :smile:

Good match so far, very attacking from both players. I expected they would both keep it tight, but they've been going for their shots so far, with a lot of success as well. :smile:

Comment

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
                  Quite appropriate disturbances from outside while the thunder from down under was making that break. :smile:
                  Maybe it was a kangaroo on the roof . . .
                  My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.

Comment

Higgins looks to be in fine form.....
                    Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
                    Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

• Relentless stuff now from Higgins. Robertson has looked under pressure in the last two frames, failing to take a couple of chances...

One of the key parts of the match coming up now, obviously a huge difference between 7-2 and 5-4. :wink:

Comment

• 5 - 3 . . . .c'mon Robertson !!!

Hopefully he can lift another gear to win.

Comment

• 5 - 4 . . . nice century break from Robertson.

Comment

• Excellent response from Robertson when he needed it. Nicely set up for the final session now. :wink:

Comment

• Indeed great stuff from Robertson to win those last two frames...... its looking like this final could go all the way!!
                              Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
                              Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

• When does (BST) the final session begin?

Comment

Working...
                                X