Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
    let us know how it goes

Will do mate, better get back to the Haikou before i get told off for hi-jacking the thread lol.
    After 15 reds and 15 blacks i did this http://youtu.be/DupuczMS2o4

Comment

Judd on a maxi, come on!

Comment

Good effort, just landed slightly too straight on the black and left a tricky little red to the middle.

Comment

Scott Donaldson seem to have a nice touch when amongst the balls.

Comment

yes, that is what I remembered from the first frame of the first match I saw in Wales, a lovely 118 which he made look effortless.
            not the best match so far...
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Not really a great day today, four very one-sided matches...

White not really giving Murphy much trouble was to be expected. Ding's comfortable win also, but it wasn't really a great performance, more like one of those "sleepy" ones he used to produce in 1st rounds in China prior to this season. He might have to play better against Advani, and certainly in the following round if Murphy comes through.

Trump also didn't have much of a match. He realized pretty early that Chen wasn't going to put him under pressure, so he was pretty relaxed for the whole match. He had some pretty sloppy moments though, so I'm not sure an easy match here was what he needed. Matthew Stevens next for him, presumably in decent form, because Yu Delu usually isn't an opponent you can whitewash just like that...

Liang-Donaldson was one of the matches I was looking forward to the most, but unfortunately I had to record this session, and Eurosport was mostly concentrating on Trump. But even this wasn't much of a match, Liang dominating right from the start. He seems to be playing alright, but he might be making a few mistakes too many to really trouble a top player. We'll see. :smile:

So, Ding and Liang are the only Chinese players through, slightly surprising for me... I thought Xiao, Cao and Yu all had a pretty good chance.

The schedule is also somewhat unfortunate for the next round, a few of the best matches in that first session in the middle of the night. Williams against Allen was the one I really wanted to see...

In the morning we get Selby-Saengkham and Ding-Advani, I think, which is a shame again, because Davis-Liang looks like it could be the best one...

Comment

I agree Odrl. The matches today were very one sided.

Watching the Murphy vs White match was just horrible if you were old enough to remember Jimmy playing well in the 80's and 90's. White made it very easy for Murphy who played in a entirely professional manner and gave White full respect. A 70 odd break from White in one of the frames was his only highlight. Otherwise it was a litany of missed long pots and poor shot selection which kept given Murphy a easy in.

Trump vs Chen was even more one sided. As you said, Trump figured out early on that Chen wasn't going to give him any problems and from then on he went on full attack mode and luckily for Trump he managed to pot most of them. Some of them were pretty outrageous. The sort of shots a club player might play against a mate after a few beers. Not something you'd expect to see in a professional tournament. Judd's luck was also prevalent which aided in the demise of his opponent.

Liang vs Donaldson. I didn't see a lot of this match but from what I could see. Liang was in full control of the match. It's obvious that Donaldson has a lovely effortless cueing action and a light touch when it but he just failed to capitalise on any mistake. An easy win for Liang.

Comment

Early night tonight, up bright and early for the Torturer

Comment

Why can't Jimmy pot snooker balls anymore?

And is it just me, or does it seem like Murphy always gets a real kick from battering Jimmy? Sour grapes that he'll never be as liked and/or as popular as the Whirlwind, if you ask me.
                    "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

Originally Posted by Billy View Post
                      Why can't Jimmy pot snooker balls anymore?
                      I've no idea. I bet he batters in centuries for fun when he practises.

And is it just me, or does it seem like Murphy always gets a real kick from battering Jimmy? Sour grapes that he'll never be as liked and/or as popular as the Whirlwind, if you ask me.
                      I think Murphy was very professional there. Jimmy gave him every opportunity and Shaun just wanted to kill off the match as quickly as he could. If the performance of the players were the other way around. Jimmy would have no hesitation killing off Murphy. And really, at this level. You can't afford to let your foot off the gas and give the other player chances.

Jimmy has only ever beaten Murphy once at the Players Championship in 2004. Murphy has hammered Jimmy on 4 other occasions.

Comment

Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
                        I think Murphy was very professional there.
                        Maybes. I'm guessing the fact that the match was between one of my all-time favourite players and one of my least favourite influenced my view on things.
                        "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

Whites days of being competitive are long behind him especially after a drubbing like he got today. I really have no idea why he hasn't called it a day, sure he loves the game but if he gave his career over the last few years an honest looking at he would come to the same conclusion. He can't hang with these players anymore, he may get the odd bit of good form but besides that when it comes to matchplay his competitive form just isn't there in any kind of consistency. He literally just pots a few good shots these days, maybe sneaks the odd frame or two and that's his lot.

It really gets boring to hear him say the inevitable "I'm playing well I practice I just can't produce it on the match table", that's been his war cry for about the last 10 or 15 years now at least. I would imagine most pros (and even amateur's) play better on the practice table than they do in most matches so how's that even a valid excuse of any kind?

Some of his performances these days are just grim, just annoys me that he still has this insane belief he can still win the World Title despite the fact his game isn't even half of what it was and the fact that there's far more players that can beat him with ease compared to his heyday.
                          Last edited by narl; 12 March 2014, 01:13 AM.

Comment

"Never stop believing". It's a motto employed by many people. So he can't cut it anymore (just like Steve Davis can't) but why does that mean he has to stop? Just a thought, but maybe he keeps playing because he doesn't know anything else. Snooker is his obsession and he's entitled to play on as long as he likes. Yes, it's painful to watch and I get very little enjoyment from doing so, but I'd never deny him his love for the game.

Comment

"Never stop believing". It's a motto employed by many people. So he can't cut it anymore (just like Steve Davis can't) but why does that mean he has to stop? Just a thought, but maybe he keeps playing because he doesn't know anything else. Snooker is his obsession and he's entitled to play on as long as he likes. Yes, it's painful to watch and I get very little enjoyment from doing so, but I'd never deny him his love for the game.
                              The difference between him and Davis is Davis is grounded enough and rational enough to know he can't do anything significant in the game anymore so plays it for enjoyment. White on the other hand has deluded himself into thinking he can still win something that he couldn't win 20 plus years ago in his prime with far fewer players around at the time and an overall lower standard of play compared to today.

I wouldn't care if he done it for enjoyment but I see a TON of frustration in his game over the least few years, there's been several occasions he's lobbed his cue to the floor in the middle of a match, even today that game with Murphy you heard his cue being slammed off the ground when he made a break of 18 then missed in the final frame of the match.

Like you I find it painful to watch its his decision to keep on going as long as he wants but realistically it has to be disheartening for him knowing what he was capable of and never really capitalised on for the big one.

http://youtu.be/J5hBuNbaIwE?t=1h1m10s

Go to timestamp 1:01:10 to see what I mean, even the expression on his face when he's in his chair tells a story.

1 thing I will say though is he was a better player with the weight off him, he's been pudgy for quite a while now so possibly that has an effect on his game to some degree?
                              Last edited by narl; 12 March 2014, 02:16 AM.

Comment

I agree. I am not sure he knows anything else but snooker. Good on him for making a comeback after battling alcohol abuse.

True legend of the game.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/oth...pionships.html
                                My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
                                I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Working...
                                X