No announcement yet.

Greatest performance in a match ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's whetted my appetite think I will watch those two matches.
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

That's whetted my appetite think I will watch those two matches.
      Thank you for adding the 'h'!

I go absolutely ****ing wild over little mistakes like that... I really need to get a grip, but I'm too old to change now x

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
        It was 1999. Just checked... 17:13 4 tons a piece.

in 2002 the same scoreline with Henders making 5 tons...
        Funny, I remember it being closer than that - off to watch it again!
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

I did too! I would have put money on it being 17:15

Comment

Originally Posted by SnookerFan View Post
            Depends on what you consider to be great.

I'd say Ronnie's 17-4 over Hendry at the 2004 World Championships was one of the most impressive performances of domination I've ever seen from a player. Ronnie looked unplayable for most of that tournament, but was on fire there. Nobody would've been able to get close to Ronnie, the way he played there.

However, you could also consider matches like Ken Doherty vs Paul Hunter in the 2003 World Championship as impressive. Obviously he wasn't as good as Ronnie was in the above match, because Ronnie played perfectly all the way through. But, in terms of holding your nerve and making a comeback, that may never be beaten as a performance.

John Higgins' win over Ronnie in the 2006 Masters final was one of the greatest ever matches, and impressive from Higgins. Beating one of the best players of all time, who was performing well, and to do so in such a close match was impressive.

Stuart Bingham's Crucible win was impressive, because he wasn't amongst the pre-tournament favourites, and he had a fantastically difficult route. One of the great sporting stories of 2015. If something comparable had happened at Wimbledon, the BBC would've been all over it at Sport's Personality Of The Year. But as snooker isn't tennis, it got forgotten about.

Individual performance in a frame, Ronnie's winning frame against Selby last week was up there was Alex Higgins clearance against Jimmy.
            Yeah, matches like that against Hendry from the class of 92 put him to bed. He was toast. My own personal favourite is Ronnie destroying Selt 6-0 and finishing with a maxi on a broken foot in trainers. Unplayable. Anything by the Genius is the best because no-one makes it look easier.

Comment

ronnies demolition of hendry at wc semis that year was truly ridiculous. for me thats the best ever because of the occasion, his opponent and the length (33 frames)

Comment

Originally Posted by strike101 View Post
                ronnies demolition of hendry at wc semis that year was truly ridiculous. for me thats the best ever because of the occasion, his opponent and the length (33 frames)
                Yeah I remember that one ronnie won 17-4 but Hendry had given up and ronnie was not that good - his battering of Dott one year in the final was a better display of snooker because Dott was playing well.

Comment

Hard to pinpoint matches, but as a tournament performance, I have always been impressed by Higgins 2009 and 2011 performances.

2009: coming back from behind against Cope and Selby, and then beating Allen and Murphy in the final.

2011: probably the highest caliber of opponents for any WC winner; Lee, McLeod, O'Sullivan, Williams and Trump in the final.

Single performances; Higgins v Selby 2009 WC QF; Higgins v Williams 2010 UK Final; Williams v Lee China Open R1 (Williams made 4 centuries and a 50 break in a losing effort).

Most of my nominations are in competitive games rather than 'thrashings.'

Comment

Originally Posted by gettingbetter View Post
                    Hard to pinpoint matches, but as a tournament performance, I have always been impressed by Higgins 2009 and 2011 performances.

2009: coming back from behind against Cope and Selby, and then beating Allen and Murphy in the final.

2011: probably the highest caliber of opponents for any WC winner; Lee, McLeod, O'Sullivan, Williams and Trump in the final.

Single performances; Higgins v Selby 2009 WC QF; Higgins v Williams 2010 UK Final; Williams v Lee China Open R1 (Williams made 4 centuries and a 50 break in a losing effort).

Most of my nominations are in competitive games rather than 'thrashings.'
                    Yes that was Higgins in top form and deep down when trump missed than blue we all though he was in trouble!

Comment

Mike Dunn v Mark Williams in ET 3 The Ruhr Open 2015
                      Made me laugh after Williams came out with some guff about blaming the tables.

Comment

Selby vs Hendry 2011 WC Last 16

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                          -ronnie with his revised cue action in the 06 premmier league, too good for everyone
                          -and yeah the 07 masters was made impressive not just by rons talent bringing a great player like ding to tears 'though infront of a tough london crowd, but he'd had a few bashings of young ding and at the time everyone was talking about the easten threat as the new hendry
                          -mr fu bashed higgins a while ago 4/5-0 and john didnt pot a ball
                          -also saw ian burns make classy wooliston look like a club player with no miss snooker in a ptc, both chucking about it on the handshake
                          Care to elaborate on the revised cue action?

Comment

Originally Posted by lbs View Post
                            Care to elaborate on the revised cue action?
                            i thought someone would notice that..sure,
                            looking back i believe 2005/6 was ronnie's renaissance. this was very noticable in his calm image, the running, and ultimately his cue action. so the masters 07 was proceeded with the performances he was doing in the premier league 06 a few months earlier. not long before that he played pool in the states, came to the snooker table using an american pool bridge, and at some point had a notcable pencil mark ring on his cue in a tournament
                            there was alot going on at the time in: ding, hitting 30yrs, becomming a father, and loosing a good rival in paul hunter
                            but he started to become unplayable

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                              i thought someone would notice that..sure,
                              looking back i believe 2005/6 was ronnie's renaissance. this was very noticable in his calm image, the running, and ultimately his cue action. so the masters 07 was proceeded with the performances he was doing in the premier league 06 a few months earlier. not long before that he played pool in the states, came to the snooker table using an american pool bridge, and at some point had a notcable pencil mark ring on his cue in a tournament
                              there was alot going on at the time in: ding, hitting 30yrs, becomming a father, and loosing a good rival in paul hunter
                              but he started to become unplayable
                              Hmm, I can't comment on the technical stuff, but I'm not sure you got those years right... After a brilliant 2004/2005 season, O'Sullivan surprisingly went two seasons without winning a ranking event between 2005 and 2007. In 2005/2006 he lost the Grand Prix and the Masters final to Higgins, then lost to Dott in the semi-finals of the WC, where he was whitewashed 8-0 in the third session. The following season was a little more consistent for him. He was a finalist in the Northern Ireland Trophy in the summer, losing to Ding, then reached the quarter-finals of most major events. He lost to Robertson in two of those quarter-finals (Robertson went on to win both tournaments), he lost to Higgins in the WC, to Hendry in the UK Championship, and to Dott in the semi-finals of the China Open. His biggest success of the season was winning the Masters, where he played a brilliant final against Ding, but was awful against Maguire the previous day, in one of the worst matches I can remember between two top players. He may have won the Premier League in December, but the tournament that preceded the Masters that season was the UK Championship, and of course the infamous 9-1 defeat to Hendry, when O'Sullivan conceded the match in the first session.

So, not only was O'Sullivan not "unplayable" in that period (apart from shot-clock snooker, as usual), he was actually going through a bit of a drought, as far as titles were concerned. John Higgins was clearly the man to beat, and O'Sullivan probably wasn't even his biggest rival at the time. Or were you saying that O'Sullivan's change in technique in this period was what led to his return to form in 2007/2008?

Comment

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
                                Hmm, I can't comment on the technical stuff, but I'm not sure you got those years right... After a brilliant 2004/2005 season, O'Sullivan surprisingly went two seasons without winning a ranking event between 2005 and 2007. In 2005/2006 he lost the Grand Prix and the Masters final to Higgins, then lost to Dott in the semi-finals of the WC, where he was whitewashed 8-0 in the third session. The following season was a little more consistent for him. He was a finalist in the Northern Ireland Trophy in the summer, losing to Ding, then reached the quarter-finals of most major events. He lost to Robertson in two of those quarter-finals (Robertson went on to win both tournaments), he lost to Higgins in the WC, to Hendry in the UK Championship, and to Dott in the semi-finals of the China Open. His biggest success of the season was winning the Masters, where he played a brilliant final against Ding, but was awful against Maguire the previous day, in one of the worst matches I can remember between two top players. He may have won the Premier League in December, but the tournament that preceded the Masters that season was the UK Championship, and of course the infamous 9-1 defeat to Hendry, when O'Sullivan conceded the match in the first session.

So, not only was O'Sullivan not "unplayable" in that period (apart from shot-clock snooker, as usual), he was actually going through a bit of a drought, as far as titles were concerned. John Higgins was clearly the man to beat, and O'Sullivan probably wasn't even his biggest rival at the time. Or were you saying that O'Sullivan's change in technique in this period was what led to his return to form in 2007/2008?

im aware of all you mention though my dates in the season could be out, not that its too relevant in this case.
                                but my focus is technique so, the premier league 06 was for me a noticable change, and its always looked like the event/exhibition where he would showcase what hes been working on,

Comment

Working...
                                X