Greatest performance in a match ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest performance in a match ever?

What's the greatest/most impressive performance by a player you've ever seen?

For me, it's probably the 1994 UK final when Hendry beat Doherty 10-5 and made 7 centuries in the match. Or Ronnie's demolition of Ali Carter in the 2007 Northern Ireland Trophy / 2008 World Championship final.

What is yours?

Looking forward to scanning YouTube later in search of greatness
    Favourite players: Kirk Stevens, Stephen Hendry, John Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Ding Junhui

Depends on what you consider to be great.

I'd say Ronnie's 17-4 over Hendry at the 2004 World Championships was one of the most impressive performances of domination I've ever seen from a player. Ronnie looked unplayable for most of that tournament, but was on fire there. Nobody would've been able to get close to Ronnie, the way he played there.

However, you could also consider matches like Ken Doherty vs Paul Hunter in the 2003 World Championship as impressive. Obviously he wasn't as good as Ronnie was in the above match, because Ronnie played perfectly all the way through. But, in terms of holding your nerve and making a comeback, that may never be beaten as a performance.

John Higgins' win over Ronnie in the 2006 Masters final was one of the greatest ever matches, and impressive from Higgins. Beating one of the best players of all time, who was performing well, and to do so in such a close match was impressive.

Stuart Bingham's Crucible win was impressive, because he wasn't amongst the pre-tournament favourites, and he had a fantastically difficult route. One of the great sporting stories of 2015. If something comparable had happened at Wimbledon, the BBC would've been all over it at Sport's Personality Of The Year. But as snooker isn't tennis, it got forgotten about.

Individual performance in a frame, Ronnie's winning frame against Selby last week was up there was Alex Higgins clearance against Jimmy.

Comment

Zidane in the 1998 WC final was pretty special

Comment

I will count
        1) Ronnie's demolition of Ding in the 2007 Finals
        2) Defeat of Hendry in 2008
        3) 5 centuries in 5 frames against carter in NIT
        4) 10-3 demolition of John Higgins
        as his highlights

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
          Zidane in the 1998 WC final was pretty special
          LOL! bloody hell...

Comment

Can't remember the year of the match or even who John Higgins was playing but what sticks in my mind was Higgins making 3 centuries in consecutive frames. It was brilliant scarily consistent.
            "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

I'd say Ronnie's 17-4 over Hendry at the 2004 World Championships was one of the most impressive performances of domination I've ever seen from a player. Ronnie looked unplayable for most of that tournament, but was on fire there. Nobody would've been able to get close to Ronnie, the way he played there.
              In all seriousness, this was what came to mind before I clicked on the thread. Because it was against Hendry, that made it all the more out of this world.

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
                Can't remember the year of the match or even who John Higgins was playing but what sticks in my mind was Higgins making 3 centuries in consecutive frames. It was brilliant scarily consistent.
                You might be thinking of the 2005 Grand Prix final, where Higgins made four centuries in a row on his way to a 9-2 victory over O'Sullivan. He even had a crack at a maximum in the final frame, which would have made it five centuries in a row, but he missed a red to the yellow pocket. :smile:

Comment

One that springs to mind is the 1992 World Snooker Final.
                  Hendry's determination, belief and gonads to take those 10 frames on the trot.

( Poor Jimmy, he deserves medals for keeping on going )

Comment

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
                    You might be thinking of the 2005 Grand Prix final, where Higgins made four centuries in a row on his way to a 9-2 victory over O'Sullivan. He even had a crack at a maximum in the final frame, which would have made it five centuries in a row, but he missed a red to the yellow pocket. :smile:
                    Thanks for that you may well be correct, that's some performance!
                    "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
                      Was that match that Higgins broke the then record for unanswered points? Yes, that's got to be up there too.

Comment

John Higgins was the first to make 3 centuries in a row at the Crucible,I think it was in 1998 against John Parrott,that was a really good match.
                        A slight problem I have with this is that its dependent on player A missing or playing a poor safety and leaving player B in,its dependent on both conditions.
                        Also commentators only seem to call a good or great performance on the amount of big breaks,probably in no small part because Hallett and Johnson can't get a job outside Eurosport

Comment

Was it the Masters final where ROS made Ding cry? He was pretty ferocious then too...

Oooh, when he smashed Ricky Walden up 6:0 the other year...

Comment

-ronnie with his revised cue action in the 06 premmier league, too good for everyone
                            -and yeah the 07 masters was made impressive not just by rons talent bringing a great player like ding to tears 'though infront of a tough london crowd, but he'd had a few bashings of young ding and at the time everyone was talking about the easten threat as the new hendry
                            -mr fu bashed higgins a while ago 4/5-0 and john didnt pot a ball
                            -also saw ian burns make classy wooliston look like a club player with no miss snooker in a ptc, both chucking about it on the handshake

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                              Was it the Masters final where ROS made Ding cry? He was pretty ferocious then too...

Oooh, when he smashed Ricky Walden up 6:0 the other year...
                              Fair play to Ron for trying to help Ding through it. Even give him a kiss on the head when he realised it was getting on top for him.

Comment

Working...
                              X