No announcement yet.

2016 UK Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I find Selby incredibly irritating to watch, i don't think I've ever seen a player with such a robotic cue action, no fluency in it whatsoever, but it works for him i suppose.

Comment

• Originally Posted by narl View Post
      but it works for him i suppose.
      Well you wouldn't advise him to change it so far, would you?

Comment

• Originally Posted by VillaGuy View Post
        Yeah Ronnie is the federer without doubt, Selby is the defensive tactician with the ability of offense (Djoko)
        Yep the similarities are striking. 2 of my favourite Sportsmen in their respective sport.

I want Ronnie to win another Worlds and want Federer to win another Wimbledon.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Sasuke92 View Post
          Yep the similarities are striking. 2 of my favourite Sportsmen in their respective sport.

I want Ronnie to win another Worlds and want Federer to win another Wimbledon.
          Likely to happen in the first instance, doubtful the latter. I'm a big tennis fan/player myself, and out of the big 4 (2 now) Djoko is my favourite. Lots of secondary players I support too though like Dolgopolov, having watched him live he's an interesting player with his technique, Fognini is an entertainer too, has a 'go for it whatever' attitude though so he'll never make the most of his talent

Comment

• Ever since he lost in the 2014 final, I've never felt like ROS would win another world title. No idea why, just a feeling. He'll win other tournaments for sure though.

Selby can really kick on and win several more though. I could see him surpassing Higgins in terms of majors won. He only needs 2 more world titles and another UK to overtake him.

Comment

Ronnie/Selby rivalry reminds me so much of Federer/Djokovic. Not just their playing styles but their forms.
              Yes, natural ability v determination.
              John Lennon : Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. :snooker:

Comment

Ronnie/Selby rivalry reminds me so much of Federer/Djokovic. Not just their playing styles but their forms.
                John Lennon : Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by shmeeko69 View Post
                  Every top player needs both. Natural ability AND determination. Without one of those two you can't get to the top. Especially Federer is known for training harder than everybody else.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
                    And of course there is an exhibition with Selby, Murphy, Trump and Robertson in Ljubljana just before Christmas, so I will finally get to see what snooker looks like live. :wink:
                    cool
                    Hope you have a great time, let us know what you think
                    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
                      Every top player needs both. Natural ability AND determination. Without one of those two you can't get to the top. Especially Federer is known for training harder than everybody else.
                      I don't think Ronnie is that determined, but has unlimited natural ability?

Comment

• It's interesting because I see O' Sullivan-Selby as more like Federer-Nadal. Selby has a way of playing that O' Sullivan struggles to deal with and find answers for, just as Federer was posed technical difficulties by Nadal.

Selby could win more titles, but I would still make O' Sullivan the favourite for any event that he enters. If you look at the big events they've been in recently, O' Sullivan narrowly lost in the final of the European Masters, Selby got stuffed 6-2 by Trump. They both lost to outsiders in the English Open. Selby did better at the International Championships, winning it. O' Sullivan pulled out of the China Championships where Selby lost in the second-round to Mark Allen. O' Sullivan made the final of the Champion of Champions, Selby lost to Mark Allen again. And then there was the UK Championship.

It's not the case that Selby is a dominant player, he's obviously one of the best and deserves to be ranked world number 1, but he could easily go out in round 1 of the Masters. When he plays his best he is very tough, but he quite often doesn't play his best.

Comment

• Originally Posted by wake_up_bomb View Post
                          It's interesting because I see O' Sullivan-Selby as more like Federer-Nadal. Selby has a way of playing that O' Sullivan struggles to deal with and find answers for, just as Federer was posed technical difficulties by Nadal.

Selby could win more titles, but I would still make O' Sullivan the favourite for any event that he enters. If you look at the big events they've been in recently, O' Sullivan narrowly lost in the final of the European Masters, Selby got stuffed 6-2 by Trump. They both lost to outsiders in the English Open. Selby did better at the International Championships, winning it. O' Sullivan pulled out of the China Championships where Selby lost in the second-round to Mark Allen. O' Sullivan made the final of the Champion of Champions, Selby lost to Mark Allen again. And then there was the UK Championship.

It's not the case that Selby is a dominant player, he's obviously one of the best and deserves to be ranked world number 1, but he could easily go out in round 1 of the Masters. When he plays his best he is very tough, but he quite often doesn't play his best.
                          The other way to look at it, though is, that Selby wins, when it truly counts. Nobody can play fantastic at every tournament. But the big players, whether it is tennis or snooker, try to play their best snooker at the events, where it counts most. Selby really wanted this win at the UK Championship and he won it with a marvellous performance in the final. He won the World Championship last year and he won the International Championship. Of course he isn't that much better than the rest that he can't lose at this tournaments, but right now at the big events he is the man to beat for me.

As for Nadal against Federer it was not only that Nadals style was difficult for Federer, it was just that, when Nadal was playing at his best, he was just the best tennis player I've ever seen. He was soo dominant from the baseline, you couldn't stand up toe-to-toe with him there. And that is, where tennis matches are decided these days. Federer brought tennis to a new level, with his great baseline shots and especially with his excellent defesne. But then Nadal and later on also Djokovic even topped this, because their defense ability was even better.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Hal View Post
                            It is not just about that, but the grimacas he was making when the ref was respotting pink behind its spot etc etc
                            Referees make too big a song and dance over this, it can be done accurately far more quickly. Take the gloves off and simply put it on the table as close as you can get it. You have the blue and brown to use as a guide when you're doing it so no need to be squatting down behind the black everytime you make a small adjustment.

As for Ronnie, simply pushed the boat out too often, taking on too many difficult ones when a simple safety would have sufficed, but that's the way he is.
                            The miss rule has to go though.

And Nadal like Selby takes an inordinate amount of time to do anything, it breaks the concentration of the opponent and that's whay they do it.
                            Last edited by vmax4steve; 5 December 2016, 01:00 PM.

Comment

• I have watched a lot of both of these players live and was lucky enough to be at the afternoon session yesterday in the second row at the top of the table. It hit me that Selby actually really struggles to settle into a match which is why he often makes his renowned comebacks clawing frame after frame once he does settle. Ronnie started the session with a century and his action didn't change throughout if he was struggling or not. Selby's back arm really shakes on the final back swing something I noticed more than ever yesterday in the first few frames which I believe caused the misses. As his confidence grew the shaking stopped. Ronnie on the other hand kept his perfect technique but as I was sitting so close to him he gave off a clear vibe he was struggling without saying a word or even making a gesture.

Comment

• I'm going to next year's UK. Any tips on where to stay in York? Not been to a snooker comp before

Comment

Working...
                                X