2017 World Championship - Main Event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by narl View Post
    Yup, Ebdon did that against O'Sullivan and was accused of gamesmanship, yet its fine for Selby to do exactly the same thing apparently. I remember Graeme Dott saying the following "I know Mark will say the balls went awkward, but he constructs the frames that way. And it was hard to get out of".

Thats the match a few years back that went on for 5 hours.
    When Selby plays like that is a great tactical game of snooker...from the most complete player of this days.
    "There has only ever been Alex Higgins, myself and now Ronnie O'sullivan who play the game the way it should be played with such excitement - I know the fans love it this way" - Jimmy White

Comment

• Nice split, chance for Ding to go 2 up here. Great session so far this.

-
      The fast and the furious,
      The slow and labourious,
      All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

• Originally Posted by attilahun View Post
        When Selby plays like that is a great tactical game of snooker...from the most complete player of this days.
        There is little doubt that Selby is a top player ....but snooker is (for the crowds and people watching on TV etc) entertainment and IMO Selby isn't the easiest player to watch, don't get me wrong he has his moments but on the whole his style lacks any swagger, and what's worse is that he can often drag his opponents into a similar state. It might win him trophies and be clinical in implementing these tactics but entertainment wise ....na.

Comment

• Originally Posted by rich123 View Post
          There is little doubt that Selby is a top player ....but snooker is (for the crowds and people watching on TV etc) entertainment and IMO Selby isn't the easiest player to watch, don't get me wrong he has his moments but on the whole his style lacks any swagger, and what's worse is that he can often drag his opponents into a similar state. It might win him trophies and be clinical in implementing these tactics but entertainment wise ....na.
          Agreed! Snooker needs showman as well at grinders to get the balance right. Alex made the game popular being the peoples champ, to care more about pleasing the crowd than winning a match may be crazy but wonderful too. If a player wears his heart on his sleeve you live every shot with him and feel part of it.
          ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Why must the Ronnie fans stick around and ruin the thread for everyone else after he has been eliminated from the tournament? We get it, you only enjoy snooker with frame times averaging 10 mins, now please leave and go and watch the footie.

Comment

• Originally Posted by P.Smith View Post
              Why must the Ronnie fans stick around and ruin the thread for everyone else after he has been eliminated from the tournament? We get it, you only enjoy snooker with frame times averaging 10 mins, now please leave and go and watch the footie.
              Bit of a cracked record isn't it.

-
              The slow and labourious,

Comment

• Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
                Agreed! Snooker needs showman as well at grinders to get the balance right. Alex made the game popular being the peoples champ, to care more about pleasing the crowd than winning a match may be crazy but wonderful too. If a player wears his heart on his sleeve you live every shot with him and feel part of it.
                This is exactly why snooker also needs Mark Selby. Some people say snooker would be boring if everyone played like Selby, true, but it would also be boring if everyone played like Judd Trump. Contrast makes things interesting.

Comment

Totally agree. I wasnt praising Selby in my post. IMO he sometimes playies just like Ebdon did....still people tend to defend his gamesmanship.
                  "There has only ever been Alex Higgins, myself and now Ronnie O'sullivan who play the game the way it should be played with such excitement - I know the fans love it this way" - Jimmy White

Comment

• Maybe I'm alone but I actually enjoy watching Selby play. He's got everything and his 143 yesterday was as entertaining as anything I've ever seen.

Comment

Sport or entertainment? Suggest you try the wrestling

Comment

• Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                        This is exactly why snooker also needs Mark Selby. Some people say snooker would be boring if everyone played like Selby, true, but it would also be boring if everyone played like Judd Trump. Contrast makes things interesting.
                        Isn't that what my post says? I agree. You need the pantomime villain and the hero.
                        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
                          Isn't that what my post says? I agree. You need the pantomime villain and the hero.
                          And of course, one man's hero is another man's villain. :smile:

-
                          The slow and labourious,

Comment

• Originally Posted by P.Smith View Post
                            Why must the Ronnie fans stick around and ruin the thread for everyone else after he has been eliminated from the tournament? We get it, you only enjoy snooker with frame times averaging 10 mins, now please leave and go and watch the footie.
                            +1, can't agree more.

Comment

• Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
                              And of course, one man's hero is another man's villain. :smile:

-
                              Exactly! Just like football in that sense. ( I don't much like football but it's a decent analogy i spose ) we need the ooh's and the ahh's for it to be gripping. I don't expect to get that in every match, but for me a great tourney needs a few of these to make it memorable.
                              ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Just realized Selby is playing three Chinese players in a row. Is this a record in the Crucible?

Comment

Working...
                                X