2017 English Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Stony152 View Post
    At least 6 nations represented in the quarter-finals. It'll be 7 if Xiao beats Wilson. That has to be a record. Australia, Iran, Switzerland, Scotland, Wales, and England. Plus China if Xiao wins.
    That's very encouraging for snooker! 😉:snooker:
    ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
      Well played Sir Anthony McGill !! :snooker:
      A solid plodder with talent will go far. And he's a good sport. Go on lad!
      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Originally Posted by Stony152 View Post
        At least 6 nations represented in the quarter-finals. It'll be 7 if Xiao beats Wilson. That has to be a record. Australia, Iran, Switzerland, Scotland, Wales, and England. Plus China if Xiao wins.
        So: Come on Guodong!

Edit: Just saw, he lost already

8 players of 6 countries isn't bad either, though.

Comment

• Originally Posted by the lone wolf View Post
          Selby most likely would have won if the match had been played on the TV table... Such is the pressure.
          I agree tho, it is a shame.
          Yes, you may have a point there. I'd like to know why the match was chopped though, Snooker.org said it was on Quest and Eurosport, Quest was scheduled to show snooker up to 5:30pm, they actually announced that Selby would be on next at around 3:45, then 10 minutes later said that's it for today, and off they went.

-
          The fast and the furious,
          The slow and labourious,
          All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

• Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
            Yes, you may have a point there. I'd like to know why the match was chopped though, Snooker.org said it was on Quest and Eurosport, Quest was scheduled to show snooker up to 5:30pm, they actually announced that Selby would be on next at around 3:45, then 10 minutes later said that's it for today, and off they went.

-
            I'm convinced there is a popularity deal between them, so that Eurosport comes out on top and makes people decide to subscribe.
            ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
              I'm convinced there is a popularity deal between them, so that Eurosport comes out on top and makes people decide to subscribe.
              World Snooker had the Selby match on a TV table, then I assume due to over-running matches they went to a non-TV table so nothing to show
              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                World Snooker had the Selby match on a TV table, then I assume due to over-running matches they went to a non-TV table so nothing to show
                At the very least then, organisation could be better coordinated. I think they need to get an understanding of how frustrating this is for the viewer. For me personally, I'm just more determined not to pay more to view. Sod em!
                ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Well played MR Lisowski .
                  excellent cueing of the cushion there with that long pot in the last frame.
                  *A couple of unnecessary mistakes from both players, but very interesting match to watch and some nice breaks.

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                    Then it was a poor decision IMO, they had at least a couple of hours before the next match.

-
                    The slow and labourious,

Comment

At the very least then, organisation could be better coordinated. I think they need to get an understanding of how frustrating this is for the viewer. For me personally, I'm just more determined not to pay more to view. Sod em!
                      I do pay the extra £5 per month for the Eurosport player, but it wasn't even on there. As you say, very frustrating.

-
                      The slow and labourious,

Comment

Oooooh Lisowski ROS is an exciting prospect! ��
                        Jack didn't sound very confident about it in his post match interview, lets hope he's not too overawed playing Ronnie for the first time in a proper match.

-
                        The slow and labourious,

Comment

• I looked at World Snooker yesterday and it said they had changed the schedule for today, so I'm blaming them for the shambles that was today's coverage.

Quarter finals are looking good, just a shame they are so short.

Comment

• Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
                            Jack didn't sound very confident about it in his post match interview, lets hope he's not too overawed playing Ronnie for the first time in a proper match.

-
                            I really think Jacks got the juice. But still, its hard to bring it on the big stage. I think maybe that's all there is now, confidence. Ronnie doesn't have much to lose, Jacks got it all to prove and that is the hardest part. He needs to relish this for what it is, a scalp taking excercise. I feel if he can see himself as the underdog taking on the master he has a chance.
                            ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                              I looked at World Snooker yesterday and it said they had changed the schedule for today, so I'm blaming them for the shambles that was today's coverage.

Quarter finals are looking good, just a shame they are so short.
                              They sent about 5 different emails between Weds morning and evening - absolutely ludicrous.

Comment

• Just out of interest, there has indeed never been more than six nations represented in the quarter-finals of any major ranking event, even if we use the broad definition of the term and include short-format stuff such as the Indian Open. Six is surprisingly common though. Since the ranking circuit was introduced 40 years ago, there have been 24 ranking events with players from six different nations in the quarter-finals. It's perhaps become slightly more common in recent history, but it's still spread quite evenly over the years. The first time it happened was all the way back in the 1978 World Championship, with players from England, Wales, Ireland, Australia, Canada and South Africa in the quarter-finals. The countries have changed a little over the years. For example, Malta and Thailand were present in a lot of combinations in the late 80s and early 90s, while China is almost always present these days.

This week was the second time it's happened this season. The first was the World Open last month, where we had players from England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, China and Belgium. It's also worth noting that it seems to happen in Asia a lot more often than it does in Europe. The last six tournaments where this has happened have all been in Asia, and of the 15 tournaments where this has happened since the year 2000, 10 have been in Asia.

We have also never had the extreme scenario with all eight quarter-finalists from the same nation. There have always been at least two nations represented. We've had only two on 14 different occasions, and here the stats are reversed, as 13 of those 14 were tournaments held in the UK. England has always been one of the two nations represented when this has happened, 10 times in combination with Scotland, and once with Ireland, Northern Ireland, South Africa, and most recently Hong Kong in the 2012 Australian Open. :wink:

Comment

Working...
                                X