No announcement yet.

2017 English Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But it wasn't a match. I remember Ronnie against Higgins, I think it was a masters final and they both played awesome snooker, Higgins took it with that break where the red nearly didn't make the pocket, cleared up for the decider. That was an enjoyable match, this was a procession. As I said I have every respect for the way Ronnie plays, but I want to see a match, not a practice session. No disrespect to Kyren, I don't think he played his best today, hit everything too hard and couldn't settle this evening.

Comment

• Originally Posted by cebs View Post
      Because that's the way this sport works imo, once you are sat in your seat there is nothing you can do watch.
      Agree 100%. It is great to see a player take their chance and leave their opponent sat in their chair. Is that not what we all strive to achieve?

Comment

• Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
        I don't understand how people can say they enjoy such one sided snooker. I respect how well he played, but it's called a match for a reason.
        It depends on the match really... O'Sullivan has won many finals over the years with very one-sided scorelines, but some of those were more about his opponent getting overawed and playing really badly, so O'Sullivan wasn't really pushed to play to his potential either. The 2014 Welsh Open final wasn't a particularly good match, for example, and the 2014 UK Championship final was low quality as well, at least until Trump started his comeback. People tend to forget the performances though, while scorelines are quite easy to remember. Well, there was nothing one could criticize about O'Sullivan's performance tonight. His long-potting was superb, and he got over the line in a single visit in the vast majority of his scoring chances, even those where the balls needed some developing. I think it's safe to say we won't see many performances of that level this season, especially not in finals or over multiple sessions. It will be interesting to see whether O'Sullivan can play to a similar standard in the International Championship in a week's time. :smile:

As for Wilson, unlucky to come up against an inspired opponent yet again. He played alright for most of the match in all honesty, so 9-2 is a little harsh on him. He played so many fantastic single shots over the last couple of days, but the way he plays the game must be really draining mentally. So much concentration and effort goes into every difficult shot, whereas O'Sullivan just strings a couple of high breaks together without really breaking a sweat, or so it seems at least. And it's not just O'Sullivan, you see players like Trump, Bingham, Allen and others doing the same for short periods, whereas Wilson didn't really show that kind of scoring fluency this week, despite playing really well overall.

Anyway, the format this week was crap, but the snooker was pretty high quality and there were a lot of interesting matches, so I can say I quite enjoyed it. I just wish they would stop disrespecting Steve Davis by bringing up the number of ranking titles every time O'Sullivan or Higgins win a best-of-7 event. There are 20 titles that contribute towards that list to be won this season, including India, Gibraltar and the Watford circus act, whereas Davis doesn't even get to count all of his UK titles, nor his eight Irish Masters titles. I know it's just statistics, but the whole concept of ranking titles has been devalued beyond recognition in recent years, so I wish they would just give it a rest. :wink:

Comment

• Originally Posted by Davebarker1978 View Post
          Agree 100%. It is great to see a player take their chance and leave their opponent sat in their chair. Is that not what we all strive to achieve?
          Yes, that's what I want to do, it's not what I want to watch.

Comment

• i want these balls is a nice detail, shows how much he enjoyed it.: https://youtu.be/pMkgeaTc-jM?t=57m32s

Comment

I don't understand how people can say they enjoy such one sided snooker. I respect how well he played, but it's called a match for a reason.
              Supporting ronnie, so id rather watch him win a final 9-2 with that kind of performance, than watch him get frustrated, and bogged down, and lose the final 9-8.....Great to see.

So basically, what youre saying is, the only snooker matches that have a right to be called "matches" are the ones that are very close and go all the way?

You musnt of enjoyed a lot of snooker, because if you look back down through the years, a lot of matches were one sided.
              Blown away

Comment

• a great event/ format, and good week of top snooker. looking forwards to the next..

Comment

• Originally Posted by jw147 View Post
                  Supporting ronnie, so id rather watch him win a final 9-2 with that kind of performance, than watch him get frustrated, and bogged down, and lose the final 9-8.....Great to see.

So basically, what youre saying is, the only snooker matches that have a right to be called "matches" are the ones that are very close and go all the way?

You musnt of enjoyed a lot of snooker, because if you look back down through the years, a lot of matches were one sided.
                  I'm saying the matches I enjoy are the evenly matched ones, when both players play to a similar, or maybe "matched" standard.

You're right though, I enjoy playing snooker much more than watching it, always have.

Comment

• The thing is I don't believe any other player can 'match' Ronnie when he is in this form.

Selby is the only one who might be able to grind it out like back in their WC final or a few of the masters clashes but I believe Ronnie has his number these days and doesn't let him get under his skin anymore. Last few big matches between them have gone to Ronnie quite easily from memory.

I enjoy a 9-9, final frame decider as much as anyone but had no problem seeing today's scoreline, some matches with similar scorelines are a bit dull with people who have thrown in the towel before the match starts imo but I didn't think that was the case today.

Ronnie said he had to play well to win and he did, sometimes he wins a final or match and doesn't play that good but the opponent crumbles. I am thinking of Murphy for one who has done that.

If Ronnie did win all four events and got the million bonus, would that million count in his ranking points?

Comment

• Well someone certainly went up a gear!

Must have been difficult for Kyrom Wilsom to just sit and watch with 5 frames without potting a ball.

ROS only missed 6 balls in the whole final, astounding.
                      Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                      Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                      Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

• KW got in , what, 3 to 4 times with long reds then to shortly afterwards miss an easy red. Then Ronnie took over and punished. KW could have been 3-1 up in the first session, definitely 2-2.

Missing easy reds against Ronnie is fatal because once he gets a cushion lead the pressure totally lifts off him.

Selby is still, imo, the only player that actually enjoys playing Ronnie and the only one that can execute consistently what he has managed to turn around during a match. Ronnie knows this. Looking forward to more battles for sure.

My star of the tournament , the Swiss dude. Promising indeed..
                        JP Majestic
                        3/4
                        57"
                        17oz
                        9.5mm Elk

Comment

If Ronnie did win all four events and got the million bonus, would that million count in his ranking points?
                          No, it's a bonus, not the actual prize.

Comment

But it wasn't a match. I remember Ronnie against Higgins, I think it was a masters final and they both played awesome snooker, Higgins took it with that break where the red nearly didn't make the pocket, cleared up for the decider. That was an enjoyable match, this was a procession. As I said I have every respect for the way Ronnie plays, but I want to see a match, not a practice session. No disrespect to Kyren, I don't think he played his best today, hit everything too hard and couldn't settle this evening.
                            Don't watch Ronnie matches then because he's hammered opponents throughout his 25+ year career plenty of times with flawless performances lol

Watch Selby matches, they are I think what you're looking for.

Comment

The thing is I don't believe any other player can 'match' Ronnie when he is in this form.

Selby is the only one who might be able to grind it out like back in their WC final or a few of the masters clashes but I believe Ronnie has his number these days and doesn't let him get under his skin anymore. Last few big matches between them have gone to Ronnie quite easily from memory.
                              Not quite. Since their 2014 World final, O'Sullivan did beat Selby 6-3 in the quarter-finals of the 2016 Masters, then 5-1 in the quarter-finals of the Welsh Open a month later, but their most recent match was the 2016 UK final, which Selby won 10-7. It was actually a tremendous match with six centuries between them, including five in the last six frames, so not the usual Selby grind. :smile:

Comment

• Originally Posted by gavpowell View Post
                                Originally Posted by cebs View Post
                                No, it's a bonus, not the actual prize.
                                We know Ronnie likes his few bob I think he will give the 4 wins a proper shot be gr8 to see it happen

Comment

Working...
                                X