No announcement yet.

2017 UK Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone reckon if Hendry came out of retirement and spent a few weeks of hard practice on the tables he'd still look competitive in this tournament? Just something that has randomly gone through my mind and I wouldn't know.

Comment

• Originally Posted by VillaGuy View Post
      Does anyone reckon if Hendry came out of retirement and spent a few weeks of hard practice on the tables he'd still look competitive in this tournament? Just something that has randomly gone through my mind and I wouldn't know.
      Sadly not (based on what I've seen on youtube in recent years).

Comment

Does anyone reckon if Hendry came out of retirement and spent a few weeks of hard practice on the tables he'd still look competitive in this tournament? Just something that has randomly gone through my mind and I wouldn't know.
        No, he was finished at 30 in all truth. Still produced it on occasions but his consistency and domination had finished then. I'm afraid a bit like Davis, we often laud these players because of their success but we overlook how hard it is in this era to win. Hendry even in his peak would struggle to win many events in the game now, far too many good players around.

Comment

• Originally Posted by cueman View Post
          No, he was finished at 30 in all truth. Still produced it on occasions but his consistency and domination had finished then. I'm afraid a bit like Davis, we often laud these players because of their success but we overlook how hard it is in this era to win. Hendry even in his peak would struggle to win many events in the game now, far too many good players around.
          Without Hendry (and Davis before him) this era wouldn't exist though.

Hendry was a machine at his peak, if he was starting out now I'd back him to be competitive, he had a mental game and determination no-one else did (has?).

Comment

• No doubt this generation, like in all sports is more developed due to various factors, but like vjmehra has said Hendry was a game changer in his one chance one frame game. He was immense at his peak. His concentration let him down when he got older, but maybe this wasn't down to age but interest? It'd be interesting seeing him giving it ago as he ain't that old yet.

Comment

• Interesting decider between Robertson and Joyce, balls favour a long one

Comment

• Ronnie must be licking his lips looking at the draw now

Comment

• Well that was a long one, well done Joyce

Comment

Ronnie must be licking his lips looking at the draw now
                    I suspect it will go wrong - we've been here so many times before.

Comment

• Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                      Well that was a long one, well done Joyce
                      The last red with the rest took some balls , great shot . Love seeing the underdogs winning .

Thought Dott was terrific today , hope he keeps that form going .
                      Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

• I think that was the first time I've seen a match with Hendy and Ebdon in the commentry box. Has that ever happened before? I bet Hendry thinks to himself that he could probably win another ranking title but it would involve a bit of luck as all tournments do. It's like poker and 90% skill, 10% luck that gets players through the rounds to the final and his mindset will have changed now but I'm happy for him to remain retired and enjoy it and stay involved at the BBC. He probably earns a nice wedge from that and it's not like they are going to drop him anytime soon.
                        www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

No doubt this generation, like in all sports is more developed due to various factors, but like vjmehra has said Hendry was a game changer in his one chance one frame game. He was immense at his peak. His concentration let him down when he got older, but maybe this wasn't down to age but interest? It'd be interesting seeing him giving it ago as he ain't that old yet.
                          He has had a go at some competitive snooker couple of years ago(last year?)
                          He played in the seniors as he thought he could win and get a spot at the WC qualifiers and maybe have a one last walk out!

Unfortunatelly he was smashed early on and was painfull to watch - and that was by amateurs.

90% of the guys on tour are machines these days and they will kill you in no time at the first opportunity. It is only that some are so good that they can will more often. Players like Hendry have no chance.

Comment

• Originally Posted by MrRottweiler View Post
                            I think that was the first time I've seen a match with Hendy and Ebdon in the commentry box. Has that ever happened before? I bet Hendry thinks to himself that he could probably win another ranking title but it would involve a bit of luck as all tournments do. It's like poker and 90% skill, 10% luck that gets players through the rounds to the final and his mindset will have changed now but I'm happy for him to remain retired and enjoy it and stay involved at the BBC. He probably earns a nice wedge from that and it's not like they are going to drop him anytime soon.
                            I think hendry is great in the box and as annoying as he is as a player I am warming to peter ebdon as a commentator.
                            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

• Originally Posted by sealer View Post
                              Originally Posted by VillaGuy View Post
                              No doubt this generation, like in all sports is more developed due to various factors, but like vjmehra has said Hendry was a game changer in his one chance one frame game. He was immense at his peak. His concentration let him down when he got older, but maybe this wasn't down to age but interest? It'd be interesting seeing him giving it ago as he ain't that old yet.
                              He has had a go at some competitive snooker couple of years ago(last year?)
                              He played in the seniors as he thought he could win and get a spot at the WC qualifiers and maybe have a one last walk out!

Unfortunatelly he was smashed early on and was painfull to watch - and that was by amateurs.

90% of the guys on tour are machines these days and they will kill you in no time at the first opportunity. It is only that some are so good that they can will more often. Players like Hendry have no chance.

Yes, that was painful to watch. I remember he was putting the hours in to try and give it a decent shot but he's just not there anymore. He sadly struggled to get the cue through smoothly in a number of shots, it must have been tough for him to endure and probably sealed it in his mind that he shouldn't try again.

As the only 7 time winner in the modern era I think he deserves some kind of walk on ceremony at the crucible to celebrate his career I think it would be a fitting sporting moment for a great champion and his many fans.
                              ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
                                As the only 7 time winner in the modern era I think he deserves some kind of walk on ceremony at the crucible to celebrate his career I think it would be a fitting sporting moment for a great champion and his many fans.
                                He had one when he retired, that was enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X