2018 World Grand Prix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indeed.

Can't be much on train from here (£5-10 I'd guess), maybe cheaper than petrol for the likes of Craig Steadman....

Comment

• Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
      World no.1 had 3 breaks over 70 and played in the semi final! Sorry but that is poor.
      If you're saying one should expect better form from the world no.1, I would have to agree. But reaching the semi-finals of a short-format event (especially one that has fewer rounds than normal) and only making three breaks over 70 is just not a particularly unusual statistic. Maguire got to the same stage and he only made two, and I don't see anyone suggesting his play wasn't worthy of a semi-finalist. :wink:

Comment

• Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
        When you consider that Jimmy White said he needs about 20k per year to cover travel and accommodation it seems a lot of those players would be financially better off stacking shelves. Maybe Jimmy stays in nicer hotels than the rest though.

I think that needs to change. It's not fair to have someone playing for his dinner up against the likes of Ronnie O'Sullivan.
        I'd like to see the math for that change. I think you'd have to not only cut the top players pay, but cut the list of players. If you did that enough, you might create a secondary market in snooker where guys are even worse off and you'll also reduce the incentive for top players. The #100 is losing money on tour. I'm not sure I'm concerned because I doubt he has his whole family working double shifts to support him. Players go into this voluntarily and know what their up against and so do their families.

Seems like any sport out there has guys just getting by or worse.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
          Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
          World no.1 had 3 breaks over 70 and played in the semi final! Sorry but that is poor.
          If you're saying one should expect better form from the world no.1, I would have to agree. But reaching the semi-finals of a short-format event (especially one that has fewer rounds than normal) and only making three breaks over 70 is just not a particularly unusual statistic. Maguire got to the same stage and he only made two, and I don't see anyone suggesting his play wasn't worthy of a semi-finalist. :wink:
          That's exactly what I'm saying.

Comment

• Originally Posted by vilkrang View Post
            He's my favourite player and has been since the 90s.

However I know the absolute basics of professional sport and realise that to win at things you have to practice, no matter how talented you are.

Federer is probably the closest equivalent in other sports. Do you think he can turn up to a tournament without practising and win? Not meaning to sound rude but you are massively ignorant if you think along these lines.
            I didnt say he doesnt practice at all, ofcourse he does. I meant that he doesnt practice every single day 4-6 hours all season long like most players on the tour. Ofcourse hes practising before tournaments and during.

Comment

• Originally Posted by OmaMiesta View Post
              I didnt say he doesnt practice at all, ofcourse he does. I meant that he doesnt practice every single day 4-6 hours all season long like most players on the tour. Ofcourse hes practising before tournaments and during.
              I think with the frequency of tournaments, many players don't get the luxury of 4-6 hours practice everyday. It's not like it was, when players would get a few weeks or longer between competitions. If anything, Ronnie's ability to be able to play as and when he chooses means he has control over this. Players fighting for their place on the tour probably don't have that luxury.

Comment

• By definition they get time to practice?

One pro (forgotten who) was on tv saying that he didn't get to do much due tp playing so much - but he had gone deep in the last few and next one was straight after....

Surely playing, and winning is better than practicing?

Comment

• Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
                  I'm on the Autism Spectrum, and Aspergers hasn't officially existed for a few years?

The bold bit is a tad harsh given your son and bit about no arms?

As above, what is he supposed to have said?
                  I'm not sure if this was a cultural miscommunication or what. Maybe if I said it like this: "It seems obvious Ronnie is very different than most people in some ways, such as social skills and snooker". I consider myself to be way off the bell curve in quite a few ways and I have no shame about it. There are a number of things about "average" people that I would rather not replicate.

I'm not seeing the problem with my statement. The only point of the post was that we should have sympathy for people with mental issues as much as those with physical.

Comment

• I guess it is the phrase bell curve, which by definition is difficult to be off?

Neuro-typical is the phrase most use for "normal", but there is a fair bit of Autism Fascism against them from the few that I know......

I still don;t know what he could have sadid that the people above would have accepted.

Comment

Working...
                    X