No announcement yet.

2018 World Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So no one thinks Trump will make the final?

Is endurance a problem for Higgins? Beating Lisowski convincingly, perhaps with a session to spare is going to help.

Anyway I want a Higgins - Ding final.

Comment

• If Judd and Ding lose, i'm out

Comment

• Just watched the Ronnie carter match on record . I thought carter played well but wasn’t impressed on how he conducted him self. As in the pre match comments And the, I’m not going to look at the table whilst my opponent is playing.I just thought he come across as Dick . Was he trying to out do Ronnie by being a Ronnie .but to be fare to Ronnie he never makes personal comments about fellow players before a match. I’m sorry but I’ve watched carter play many times but on this occasion wasn’t impressed.

Comment

• The good thing about Ronnie losing is it gives Ding a better chance of getting to the final

Ronnie is Ding's bogeyman

Ding will need to play his best to get there though

Comment

• Originally Posted by Dark View Post
            So no one thinks Trump will make the final?
            Personally I would strongly favour Higgins over Trump as that quarter seems likely.

Anything can happen in snooker though which is why it is exciting.

Comment

• Don't care who wins as long as it isn't Allen or Carter or Higgins or Trump or .....................................
              Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

• Originally Posted by gavpowell View Post
                What on Earth is your logic there? John Higgins has 4 titles from 6 finals and Ding has zero from one. How is Ding the main choice?
                Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "logical" here as it's more of an opinion.

Ding and Higgins are the most complete and (in my opinion) best players left, the only ones I'd rank in a tier with Selby and O'Sullivan, when they are playing well.

Higgins has 4 titles as you pointed out, but the last one is already back 8 years. Over the last few years he and Ding have reached a final each and in the last two years it took excellent performances by Selby to take Ding out of the tournament. So the Chinese really was the second best player after Selby.

You could argue that Higgins is the most complete player in the history of the game (I wouldn't argue against it), but time is still catching up with him. He had that excellent run to the final here last year, but over the course of the last couple of seasons I've got the feeling that his consistency is vanishing. While he still played breathtaking snooker often enough he had some absolutely horrid sessions. Remember that meltdown against McManus in the 2016 quarterfinal?

Maybe he has saved himself for the Crucible this season and so far he looks in very good shape, but for Ding it was a fact that within the last two seasons he played his best at Sheffield. I really think his whole season is just build up to win the title here. He played very well against Xiao. As Odrl says now that Selby is out and also O'Sullivan he may like his chances. But on the other hand there is the chance, that the pressure now will become huge once again and he crumbles beneath it.

Ding and Higgins would meet each other only in the final. And while Higgins would have less pressure and has more experience Ding has the advantage of being 12 years younger. This can make a difference as well.

But firstly both have to get there. I hope they do, as this would actually be me dream final now. But of course Ding can already go out against McGill as well.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Dark View Post
                  So no one thinks Trump will make the final?

Is endurance a problem for Higgins? Beating Lisowski convincingly, perhaps with a session to spare is going to help.

Anyway I want a Higgins - Ding final.
                  He certainly can. But I won't make him favorite against Higgins or Ding, who are both superior players in my books.

It could help him very well. Still also concentration and with it consistency could become a problem for the older ones.

Me too.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Billy View Post
                    Eh?
                    one less temperamental player to worry about

Comment

• Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post

Ding and Higgins are the most complete and (in my opinion) best players left, the only ones I'd rank in a tier with Selby and O'Sullivan, when they are playing well.

Higgins has 4 titles as you pointed out, but the last one is already back 8 years. Over the last few years he and Ding have reached a final each and in the last two years it took excellent performances by Selby to take Ding out of the tournament. So the Chinese really was the second best player after Selby.

You could argue that Higgins is the most complete player in the history of the game (I wouldn't argue against it), but time is still catching up with him. He had that excellent run to the final here last year, but over the course of the last couple of seasons I've got the feeling that his consistency is vanishing. While he still played breathtaking snooker often enough he had some absolutely horrid sessions. Remember that meltdown against McManus in the 2016 quarterfinal?

Maybe he has saved himself for the Crucible this season and so far he looks in very good shape, but for Ding it was a fact that within the last two seasons he played his best at Sheffield. I really think his whole season is just build up to win the title here. He played very well against Xiao. As Odrl says now that Selby is out and also O'Sullivan he may like his chances. But on the other hand there is the chance, that the pressure now will become huge once again and he crumbles beneath it.

Ding and Higgins would meet each other only in the final. And while Higgins would have less pressure and has more experience Ding has the advantage of being 12 years younger. This can make a difference as well.

But firstly both have to get there. I hope they do, as this would actually be me dream final now. But of course Ding can already go out against McGill as well.
                      I agree with this excellent post.

Comment

• Cmon Juddles and Ding a Ling !

Comment

• So, what are we watching this morning? Trump-Walden or Ding-McGill? Or maybe a bit of both? :smile:

Comment

• Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
                            So, what are we watching this morning? Trump-Walden or Ding-McGill? Or maybe a bit of both? :smile:
                            One on 140 inch projector screen, other on 70 inch TV

Comment

• Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post

Agree with you. Ding and Higgins stand out to me and whilst Higgins has the greater experience he is, let’s not forget, 42. Now, we’ve already seen he can still cut it with the best but doing it at the Crucible is different. For a 40 year old to win in today’s game would be a remarkable feat. It took a great performance by Selby to break him in last years final but he did look under stress on the last day.

Ding is really at a stage in his career when he has to win it now before the burden of previous failures becomes too great a weight to overcome. He’s won everything else in the game but he desperately needs a World title to define his status among the giants of the modern era.

Ding’s greatest asset is his scoring - once he’s in he keeps the white under very tight control. That’s a huge advantage as it means he can reel off frames in single visits which is less tiring over the long matches.

Comment

• Originally Posted by peterpackage View Post
                                One on 140 inch projector screen, other on 70 inch TV
                                Okay, you've convinced me, I'll go for both at once as well. Much smaller screens though... :wink:

Comment

Working...
                                X