2018 World Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
    ....it's why Selby, Robertson, Ebdon, Carter etc slow down to a snails pace when in trouble because it works!
    Just to clarify, this is all pure assumption on your part, not verifiable fact. It could be that the conclusions you've reached are not quite as accurate as you believe?

-
    The fast and the furious,
    The slow and labourious,
    All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

• Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
      Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
      ....it's why Selby, Robertson, Ebdon, Carter etc slow down to a snails pace when in trouble because it works!
      Just to clarify, this is all pure assumption on your part, not verifiable fact. It could be that the conclusions you've reached are not quite as accurate as you believe?

-
      Deliberate slow play has been used as a tactic for years, because it works.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Dark View Post
        Greene then replied that IT does his head in, saying sorry, not Mark King.
        I have no idea what you are saying here.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Stony152 View Post
          I have no idea what you are saying here.
          It was said the Greene said King did his head in, from what I could tell, Greene said "It does my head in" where the it is saying sorry, not Mark King.

Comment

• Alan McManus seems to be in good form, up 9-0.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
              Deliberate slow play has been used as a tactic for years, because it works.
              As I say, pure conjecture.

-
              The slow and labourious,

Comment

• 2018 World Championship

I fancy trump to win it this year. But I think it's more wide open than any other year. imagine if Williams got another 1 ?

Comment

• I have a ticket for Sunday the 22nd April Evening session, which I can’t go to.
                  Anyone fancy going PM me

Comment

As I say, pure conjecture.

-
                    Do you believe players don’t slow the game down on purpose then PB?
                    Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

• Originally Posted by sealer View Post
                      Fairly easy, played it too slow. Should have stroked it in.
                      The interviewer asking a typically stupid question...'how gutted were you at missing the final black' ... really?

Comment

• Originally Posted by armstm View Post
                        Will he treat himself to a new wig?
                        Syrup can't be that bad as I thought he was dying his hair!

Comment

• Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
                          I have a ticket for Sunday the 22nd April Evening session, which I can’t go to.
                          Anyone fancy going PM me
                          potentially but until I've seen the draw I've no idea if it's gonna be Selby v Mcleod or something!

Comment

• Originally Posted by danam1 View Post
                            Do you believe players don’t slow the game down on purpose then PB?
                            Just like everyone else, I don't know, I'm not a mind reader. But I've played snooker and pool regularly for 40+ years, in that time I've played against as many slower opos as anyone else, and I can't ever remember thinking they were deliberately trying to slow the game down in order to frustrate me, all I see is an opponent who's rhythm is naturally slower than mine, or one who's wracked with indecision, which I take as a good sign, maybe even a compliment, not a problem.

But my main point is, we can never KNOW this of an opponent, only assume it, based on our own personal interpretation of their actions, which may well be clouded by all sorts of mental shenanigans, so when people start accusing other people of gamesmanship based upon these assumptions, they must also accept the possibility that they and their assumptions may well be wrong.

TBH, this POV always seems somewhat paranoid to me. I suspect it can also be a very handy excuse/comfort blanket for some having lost to a “lesser” player, but that's just an assumption on my part.

-
                            The slow and labourious,

Comment

• Ok , no worries

Comment

Just like everyone else, I don't know, I'm not a mind reader. But I've played snooker and pool regularly for 40+ years, in that time I've played against as many slower opos as anyone else, and I can't ever remember thinking they were deliberately trying to slow the game down in order to frustrate me, all I see is an opponent who's rhythm is naturally slower than mine, or one who's wracked with indecision, which I take as a good sign, maybe even a compliment, not a problem.

But my main point is, we can never KNOW this of an opponent, only assume it, based on our own personal interpretation of their actions, which may well be clouded by all sorts of mental shenanigans, so when people start accusing other people of gamesmanship based upon these assumptions, they must also accept the possibility that they and their assumptions may well be wrong.

TBH, this POV always seems somewhat paranoid to me. I suspect it can also be a very handy excuse/comfort blanket for some having lost to a “lesser” player, but that's just an assumption on my part.

-
                                Agree with this. I would also say that deliberately changing your pace could hurt yourself as much as your opponent.

Comment

Working...
                                X