No announcement yet.

2018 World Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It really shows that in the first few matches, the experienced players who have got through 3 qualifying rounds and basically finished those matches 2-3 days ago, are catching the seeds stone cold. They’re confident and in form. The seeds haven’t played since China and are getting caught on the hop a wee bit.

Comment

• Originally Posted by CueAntW147 View Post
      it's about time he stepped up on the big stage, i'd be pleased to see him win as i love his style of play ;-)
      He just needs to stop playing the occasional suicidal shot at critical points in a match and he will be triumphant ( i hope )

Comment

• Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
        He just needs to stop playing the occasional suicidal shot at critical points in a match and he will be triumphant ( i hope )
        that's right, he's a really great potter, but he just goes for one to many risky shots and you can't pot them all the time however good you are, can't write Ronnie off just yet though as Maguire has a habit of crumbling.

Comment

• Think ronnie could do with a refinish for his cue, grain fillers virtually gone from his chin grinding against it.

Comment

• Another one to Watch out for who could be World Champion is this year is Barry Hawkins, he always does well at the Crucible and as a good draw to. 1st Round Stuart Carrington, in his half of the draw with have Marco Fu, Lyu Haotian, Ding, Xiao Guodong, Anthony McGilll or Ryan Day. I can see Ryan giving Ding a good match if they both come through, because ryan beat Ding from 9-6 down in the last 32 (First round) in 2012 and went on to reach the quarter finals that year, Ryan as also played well last couple of months winning back to back tournaments and also a The Riga Masters A minor ranking event at the beginning of the season, while Barry as lost in two finals this year The Welsh Open to John Higgins and China Open to Mark Selby.
            Ronnie O' Sullivan seven times the record breaking Snooker Master

Comment

• Originally Posted by pottr View Post
              Surely you mean Joe Perry deserved to win?
              Joe Perry deserved to win. Mark Selby deserved to lose. Both are true.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Stony152 View Post
                The record for fewest seeds advancing to the second round under this format is 8. It's happened twice. In 1992 and 2012.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_W...r_Championship
                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_W...r_Championship

In 2012 Mark Selby (2), Shaun Murphy (5), Ding Junhui (7), Graeme Dott (9), Mark Allen (10), Martin Gould (11), Stephen Lee (12), and Stuart Bingham (16) all lost to a qualifier and John Higgins (1) barely survived 10-9. Higgins, Mark Williams (3) and Judd Trump (4) all lost in the second round. So going into the quarter-finals the highest seeds left were Neil Robertson (6) and Stephen Maguire (8)

I think that's the closest we've come to losing the top two seeds in the first round in recent years and it was definitely the year of the upset. Ronnie won as the the 14th sees. It could happen tomorrow and the way things have started, losing at least 8 seeds is definitely possible. If O'Sullivan, Fu, and Carter go on to lose we'll be half way there in the first 5 matches.
                2012 is also the last time the seed in the Maguire first round match won. Maguire was seeded and lost in 2013-16 and last season was a qualifier and beat McGill. If he beats O'Sullivan the trend continues.

Comment

• Originally Posted by vilkrang View Post
                  If it was against any other qualifier then I'd still think Ronnie would have a good chance but I'd be very surprised if someone of Maguire's class let slip a 6-3 lead, even against ROS.

Happy to be proven wrong but Ronnie was very hot and cold today whereas Maguire looked pretty decent and played well in the qualifiers.
                  Someone like Maguire is exactly the player who could easily lose 3 frames lead tomorrow. Just imagine if they come out tomorrow and O' Sullivan knocks in century in the first frame and nice frame winning break in the second, what do you think will happen inside that good old Maguire's head?

Comment

• Originally Posted by CueAntW147 View Post
                    If Ronnie goes, with Selby already gone, it opens it right up as others will think they can actually win, Judd, Wilson, Ding, Allen must fancy it now, Perry will be buzzing as well now!
                    I don't like to wish a loss on anyone, but I think with these two giants gone it could make for a wonderful and exciting championship.
                    "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

• Originally Posted by Billy View Post
                      I don't like to wish a loss on anyone, but I think with these two giants gone it could make for a wonderful and exciting championship.
                      Or it could make for a low quality championship with a low quality winner.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Dark View Post
                        There's always that chance, but I very much doubt it with the quality of line-up.

Then again I suppose it's all down to taste. I'd rather watch snooker than century upon century.
                        "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

• Originally Posted by Dark View Post
                          Can you explain what low quality snooker is and tell me which of the best snooker players in the world play it?

Comment

• Originally Posted by narl View Post

Think ronnie could do with a refinish for his cue, grain fillers virtually gone from his chin grinding against it.
                            I’m pretty sure that’s just the TV lights playing tricks on your eyes.

Comment

• Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                              Can you explain what low quality snooker is and tell me which of the best snooker players in the world play it?
                              Missing shots, playing bad safety, poor white ball control, bad shot choices. They all play bad shots, just the better ones do it a bit less often those who are not as good when they are playing their best. When the very best play less then their best then the overall quality declines, not greatly but by a little bit.

Comment

• Originally Posted by spike View Post
                                I just don't see it. It's Maguire's temperament that's always in question for me. Even with a decent lead going into tommorow's session, I do feel he will struggle to get over the line. Not taking anything away from Maguire today, as he looked solid in amongst the balls. But there were one or two times today, where the odd crack started to appear in his game.

Should be a very interesting session tommorow all the same.
                                I feel exactly the same way. I really hope Maguire gets over the line, but I'm afraid he will throw it away once again. In the late frames yesterday there were already signs of his frustration visible, when O'Sullivan put pressure on him, but the World Number 2 couldn't utilise his chances.

Comment

Working...
                                X