Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JimMalone
    replied
    There are always some big surprises in the qualifiers under the new format, but this time there were some especially strange results.
    Liang not winning a single frame against Jamie Jones??
    Tian first taking out his compatriot Yan and then making only one frame against Wakelin?
    Half of the matches of the last round the loser wasn't winning more than four frames.

We've got four crucible debutants in Highfield, Lyu, Un-Nooh (nice, that he finally made it) and Wakelin. Looking forward to the draw.

Leave a comment:

• DeanH
    replied
    Draw 10am tomorrow on WS facebook and BetfredTV
    http://www.worldsnooker.com/2018-bet...pionship-draw/

Leave a comment:

• Dark
    replied
    Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
    well done Un-Nooh - keeping ahead of Burden who was always clawing back

Shame for Burden (Q-School now?) as I have a soft spot for him as being the first Pro-player I spoke to
    Foulds said Burden might make the top 8 on the one year list so might not need to go to Q-school, but it was also said he was not going to go to Q-school.

Leave a comment:

• DeanH
    replied
    Originally Posted by Stony152 View Post
    I mean the new format of qualifying. Until 2014 the 17-32 ranked players only had to play one qualifying round. In the last four years they've had to start in the first qualifying round.
    thanks for the reminder
    was it only 4 years ago

If it is 4 years then is it still "new"? :wink:
    Last edited by DeanH; 18 April 2018, 09:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Stony152
    replied
    Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
    What "new format" to the WSC are you mentioning?
    I mean the new format of qualifying. Until 2014 the 17-32 ranked players only had to play one qualifying round. In the last four years they've had to start in the first qualifying round.

Leave a comment:

• Stony152
    replied
    Of the 17-32 seeds, only 7 made it to the crucible. Three of us outperformed that benchmark.

Stony152 (10) - Day, Xiao, Dott, Milkins, Lyu, Lisowski, Perry, Thepchaiya, Robertson, Maguire
    JimMalone (8) – Day, Xiao, Dott, Milkins, Lyu, Perry, Robertson, Maguire
    Mr Snooker (8) - Day, Xiao, Lyu, Stevens, Lisowski, Walden, Robertson, Maguire
    Odrl (7) - Day, Xiao, Dott, Lisowski, Walden, Perry, Maguire
    jw147 (4) - Highfield, Xiao, Milkins, Wakelin
    It's interesting that at least one of us chose almost every player that made it. The only two exceptions being Stuart Carrington (Gould section) and Jamie Jones (Liang section)

Leave a comment:

• DeanH
    replied
    Number of 17-32 seeds reaching the crucible under the new format. Last year the top seeds performed awfully in qualifying, while in 2016 75% made it to the crucible. In the four years that the new format has existed, just about exactly 50% of the top seeds have made. I'd imagine it was 70-80% under the old format of having to play only one qualifying match.

2018 - 7
    2017 - 5
    2016 - 12
    2015 - 7
    2015 -
    What "new format" to the WSC are you mentioning?

Leave a comment:

• Stony152
    replied
    Number of 17-32 seeds reaching the crucible under the new format. Last year the top seeds performed awfully in qualifying, while in 2016 75% made it to the crucible. In the four years that the new format has existed, just about exactly 50% of the top seeds have made. I'd imagine it was 70-80% under the old format of having to play only one qualifying match.

2018 - 7
    2017 - 5
    2016 - 12
    2015 - 7
    Last edited by Stony152; 18 April 2018, 07:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• blahblah01
    replied
    I didn't notice Fu when I scanned the wiki page, lol.

Brecel is an odd one as he has had cue troubles? Has he got one that he "likes" yet?

Has McGill done much lately?

Leave a comment:

• Stony152
    replied
    Of the 17-32 seeds, only 7 made it to the crucible. Three of us outperformed that benchmark.

Stony152 (10) - Day, Xiao, Dott, Milkins, Lyu, Lisowski, Perry, Thepchaiya, Robertson, Maguire
    JimMalone (8) – Day, Xiao, Dott, Milkins, Lyu, Perry, Robertson, Maguire
    Mr Snooker (8) - Day, Xiao, Lyu, Stevens, Lisowski, Walden, Robertson, Maguire
    Odrl (7) - Day, Xiao, Dott, Lisowski, Walden, Perry, Maguire
    jw147 (4) - Highfield, Xiao, Milkins, Wakelin

Leave a comment:

• jonny66
    replied
    Originally Posted by Mr Snooker View Post
    Neal Foulds posted this picture what the Crucible would look like with three snooker tables set up after someone suggested having 64 players at the Crucible for the first round of the World championships with three tables in play. [ATTACH]19051[/ATTACH]
    They'd be getting in each others way all the time.

Leave a comment:

• jonny66
    replied
    Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
    So which of the Seeds do the Qualifiers want?

Carter must be their No 1 pick?
    I'd say Marco Fu, he hasn't played since the masters and he said his eyes are no better or worse.

Leave a comment:

• Stony152
    replied
    Originally Posted by richiet View Post
    Marco Fu, I'd have thought
    Easily Brecel, the way he's been playing lately. I don't think there's any way he gets by the first round unless his form improves dramatically.

Leave a comment:

• richiet
    replied
    Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
    So which of the Seeds do the Qualifiers want?

Carter must be their No 1 pick?
    Marco Fu, I'd have thought

Leave a comment:

• DeanH
    replied
    That loose safety means Vafaei is out; by a Maguire who did not have it all his own way and who seems to have found a shaving gel and blade that works for him

Leave a comment:

Working...
X