2018 Champion of Champions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by vjmehra View Post
    Yes, I'd agree, that's how I interpreted it, but I don't hold that against ROS [...]
    No, nor I. I was just saying.

I also have to say I think both the BBC and Eurosport could learn a lot from ITV's snooker coverage. Granted an ITV sister channel doesn't risk upsetting as many people with its wall-to-wall coverage, but still.
    "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

• That was a really entertaining match. I like Kyren's gritty attitude, it's not easy to claw your way back when Ronnie's a few frames ahead, but he did it despite having to deal with the consequences of some quite poor play on his part. And in the end he came so close, but Ronnie just keeps on winning, doesn't he.

-
      The fast and the furious,
      The slow and labourious,
      All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

• I cannot remember the last time Ronnie made me fret like that - just like old times!

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
          Gutted for Wilson, he should of won this
          Such a weird game, has anyone ever looked less happy to have won?

It sounds weird, but some of the shots ROS was taking on, it was almost like he was forcing himself to take on low percentage shots because he was so angry at himself and the way he was playing, either to try and spark some form or to prove to himself he deserved it.

Of course in reality the above is probably rubbish, he just doesn't cope with pressure as well as he used to...but still held on for the win somehow!

I feel Kyron could get him next time they meet in a final though, he fought back really well and just lost his nerve / had bad luck at the end.
          I actually think you are possibly right in your 2nd paragraph I know it certainly means a lot to ROS to win but because he's such a perfectionist and had also talked about sabotaging himself in the past, I think your points have some credence. Plus if he lost he can console himself by looking in his trophy cabinet!

For Kyren I'm certain this final meant almost everything to him, a culmination of all his hard work and effort. For some reason in sport when you are the trying to get over the line desperately wanting it, the line moves further away.

Steve Davis summed this up best with his "you have to play as though it means nothing at all when really it means everything" (or summit like dat)
          ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Was that a cheeky middle finger when holding the trophy there???
            Hahaha yes I noticed that too, it definitely was.
            That photograph wont be printed for sure.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Billy View Post
              No, nor I. I was just saying.

I also have to say I think both the BBC and Eurosport could learn a lot from ITV's snooker coverage.
              OK, so maybe it's a moot point as to whether this was one of the more important events in the snooker calendar, but over here (Germany) it was completely ignored by Eurosport. I thought I'd drop in on one or two frames of the semi-finals and the finals, and they certainly were showing snooker, but only the Bingham-Davis final of a couple of weeks back. This match has now, believe it or not, been rehashed a total of four times in the last four days, as if it were a final of the century or something. Snooker will be on the whole of this afternoon. Not that I'll exactly be glued to the TV, but I wonder what's coming up next.
              Last edited by crocodile; 12 November 2018, 12:18 PM.

Comment

• Good match. Kyren really showed his inexperience in the post match interview. You never say you play rubbish when you only just lost. Your basically say your opponent played rubbish too then which is why the crowd got on his back

Kyren should have said something along the lines of " look it was a close match, with the pressure and the quality of my opponent, i wasn't always able to produce my best snooker, but that's professional sport"

Comment

• Originally Posted by crocodile View Post
                  OK, so maybe it's a moot point as to whether this was one of the more important events in the snooker calendar, but over here (Germany) it was completely ignored by Eurosport. I thought I'd drop in on one or two frames of the semi-finals and the finals, and they certainly were showing snooker, but only the Bingham-Davis final of a couple of weeks back. This match has now, believe it or not, been rehashed a total of four times in the last four days, as if it were a final of the century or something. Snooker will be on the whole of this afternoon. Not that I'll exactly be glued to the TV, but I wonder what's coming up next.
                  Eurosport doesn't have the rights to show the Champion of Champions, that's why that English Open final was on all week. :smile:

Comment

• Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
                    Eurosport doesn't have the rights to show the Champion of Champions, that's why that English Open final was on all week. :smile:
                    OK, but one match repeated ad infinitum !!?? Even the most diehard of snooker fans will be getting rather fed up of this kind of thing ....

They haven't even bothered to update the 2017-18 snooker calendar to 2018-19, on top of which their latest ranking list is from March 23rd ....

Interestingly, the 2017 Shanghai Masters was held in Manchester and the 2018 World Grand Prix took place twice - once in reverse direction from February 19th to 15th and once in forward direction from February 19th to 25th.

What a broadcaster.
                    Last edited by crocodile; 12 November 2018, 01:02 PM.

Comment

• Oh, as I type these words they've just started on the NI Open ....

Comment

• Okay a bit childish of me .... Ronnie giving the finger whilst getting photographed with trophy :

https://youtu.be/Uf5tKuY5Iag?t=1320

Comment

• Originally Posted by crocodile View Post
                          What a broadcaster.
                          Oh, you don't need to convince me, the list of things that annoy me about Eurosport is incredibly long... :wink:

Comment

• Originally Posted by peterpackage View Post
                            Good match. Kyren really showed his inexperience in the post match interview. You never say you play rubbish when you only just lost. Your basically say your opponent played rubbish too then which is why the crowd got on his back

Kyren should have said something along the lines of " look it was a close match, with the pressure and the quality of my opponent, i wasn't always able to produce my best snooker, but that's professional sport"
                            But he didn't play well, and neither did his opponent. I'd much rather hear the truth than some sugar coated bollocks about not producing his best snooker, that's just saying the same thing with different words.

Comment

• Dissapointing final for some but not for me. The change of cloth for the semis & final took the standard down a bit and for the better IMO, I think I noticed some nap, maybe the organisers took heed of the easy table jibes they were getting, or maybe a phone call or two from Star, but anyway there were quite a few bad contacts and the balls had to be hit a bit harder so mistakes aplenty from both players and after five frames of poor running Ronnie got a big slice and went on to win.
                              It's the way it goes sometimes but a great big NO to napless cloths from this snooker fan at least, I want to see them miss now and again for a bit of drama.
                              Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                              but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

• Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be1BcC2eTX0

Watch him here and I know its not pressure as such but still a competitive game and you can see a much more flowing natural player. Wilson not played like this at all since working with Stark, who I don't think is a good coach IMHO.
                                A very interesting Youtube.

I stumbled on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiJrYXZhhu8 (looking for Bingham's tip for the IO :wink which wasn't where I read\heard that it wasn't coached but has in the Comments (Tasha thingy and first sentence only included to help you find the relevant bit):

Tasha Robichaud
                                Tasha Robichaud
                                8 months ago
                                As all the players I grew up watching slowly retire, Kyren is becoming my new favourite player. The way he plays reminds me of Hendry and Davis. One thing I did notice though is what appears to be a slight hesitation or very slow start to forward movement of his cuing. Is this exaggerated slow start to ensure he accelerates through the cue ball?
                                Barry Stark Snooker Coach
                                Barry Stark Snooker Coach
                                8 months ago
                                Tasha. This is not deliberately developed but it does have that effect.

Comment

Working...
                                X