No announcement yet.

2018 UK Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As elsewhere, I am commenting more about teething problems re players needing to plan a season; and idiotic\arrogant scheduling, which does not happen in Bazza's tennis\golf wet dreams.

Comment

• What happened there with Ronnie getting wet?
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• He poured a bottle of water over his own head

Comment

• All the talk of triple crown/UK titles, shouldn’t forget that it’s another ranking event too. Getting closer to Hendry on that too. I think the 7 world’s is the only landmark he might not get to.

Comment

• Nowhere near Hazel

I am sure the Haters don't understand how difficult it is to keep winning ie maintaining interest\focus.

Hopefully he will be fresh for Sheffield after the lst few years when he played far too much, and I don't think the Eurosport commentating helped as he had to talk up players etc.

Comment

• Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
              Nowhere near Hazel
              Eh?

Anyway, I reckon the presentation team were far too quick on the scene at the end there. The audience had only just started cheering Ronnie's win and she was shouting over them to talk to Mark. Give Ronnie a few minutes, at least!
              "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

• Auntie had something to put on asap?

Comment

• It's interesting that we have a couple of pages of discussion about scheduling, and almost no comments about the match itself. Did no one else enjoy it? :smile: I guess it just needed to be a little closer so that we could have had more tension in the end, but credit to O'Sullivan for stealing a couple of frames and never really looking like losing.

It's not at all unexpected to see O'Sullivan raising his game like this for a major final. He didn't look that great earlier in the week, and indeed should have probably lost against Doherty, but he played as well as he needed to against some fairly favourable opponents, and he saved his best for the final, as he had done so many times before. York was the place of some weird performances from him in what seems like the distant past now, but the more recent years have been very successful for him, with three titles and a final in his last four appearances here.

As for Allen, he made a decent effort today, but as he said himself, you can't really be too far off your best game to have any chance against O'Sullivan. He would have held three of the five most important titles in snooker had he won tonight, which seems kind of crazy if you think back to where he was 12 months ago. Still, he played some good snooker on the big stage again, and he will definitely go into the World Championship this season with a very realistic chance of winning.

On a slightly different note, I have to confess all this triple crown talk this week was really starting to get on my nerves. Maybe it was just because I was generally in a bad mood, I don't know... The UK Championship has had its matches shortened to the point where it is now only the fourth longest event on the calendar, and it is losing the prize money battle against the Chinese events all the time, so you can't really have that and still expect it to retain all of its prestige. For me, the International Championship was clearly the better tournament this season. It had a better standard of play and better table conditions, but of course the UK Championship had the better atmosphere, which will probably be the case for some time. Also, one half of the draw lost most of its excitement very early this week, with all the top players except O'Sullivan losing in the early rounds. Maybe it's just me, but I cringed a little when Hazel Irvine summed up Allen's year as "you reached the final of two triple crown events", as if one of his major highlights never even happened...

Anyway, a fairly entertaining couple of weeks, as expected. Looking forward to the Masters next month. :smile:

Comment

• Originally Posted by vilkrang View Post
                    All the talk of triple crown/UK titles, shouldn’t forget that it’s another ranking event too. Getting closer to Hendry on that too. I think the 7 world’s is the only landmark he might not get to.
                    I don't think he'll win another World title, let alone 2/3 more! I'd love to be proved wrong, but he just doesn't seem to have the game over the longer distance anymore (which is why shortening everything but the World's actually plays into his favour)!

As for ranking tournaments, if Hendry had this many to play in, we'd be looking at 50+ victories for comparison...also looking further back, Davis & co had hardly any by comparison, so its a flawed way to measure things in my view.

All that said, I'm a big fan of ROS and I hope he does go on to break Hendry's WC record, however I just can't see it happening.

Comment

Auntie had something to put on asap?
                      They finished 50 minutes ahead of schedule.

Anyway, I'm still puzzled by your 'Nowhere near Hazel' comment. What did you mean?
                      "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

• Easy way to decide goat argument, trust what your eyes see! Ronnie's standard of play over 25 years has never been matched, let alone bettered! As John parrot said....out of the best 10 performance of all time, Ronnie has produced about 6 or 7 of them.done.
                        H.b.142

Comment

• Originally Posted by Billy View Post
                          They finished 50 minutes ahead of schedule.

Anyway, I'm still puzzled by your 'Nowhere near Hazel' comment. What did you mean?
                          A trite comment about her not being wet......

Comment

• Originally Posted by lennon11 View Post
                            Easy way to decide goat argument, trust what your eyes see! Ronnie's standard of play over 25 years has never been matched, let alone bettered! As John parrot said....out of the best 10 performance of all time, Ronnie has produced about 6 or 7 of them.done.
                            I was going to ask what were the other 3, but I got to more in less than a second (the last 2 WC finals, Alex's semi vs White, and his comeback vs Davis)

But ROS is easily the best Snooker player I have seen.

Comment

But ROS is easily the best Snooker player I have seen.
                              Love him or hate him, I'm not sure this is even up for debate. Personally I can take him or leave him, but the performances and figures speak for themselves.

Comment

• Originally Posted by vjmehra View Post

As for ranking tournaments, if Hendry had this many to play in, we'd be looking at 50+ victories for comparison...also looking further back, Davis & co had hardly any by comparison, so its a flawed way to measure things in my view.
                                Cuetracker states;
                                Hendry has played to date in 376 tournaments getting to the final in 113 and winning 70 (61.95%)
                                O'Sullivan has played 313 to date and getting to the final in 101 and winning 67 (66.34%)

Pretty sure ROS will blitz those Hendry numbers once he has played in another 63 tournaments.

Comment

Working...
                                X