2019 World Snooker Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
    Yes, all players have to qualify for the tournaments - unless there don't exist qualifers at all (128 men fields, Players Championship, Tour Championship for example).
    Yeah, if you are outside of the top 64 you can draw Selby, O'Sullivan, Higgins, Robertson and so on in those qualifiers.
    Thank you.
    "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

• Poor coverage by Eurosport. They show O'Sullivan - Cahill while there is already the deciding session between Higgins and Davis

Comment

• Originally Posted by Billy View Post
        Sorry to go on about this, but can I just have some clarification.

Do all players - including the top 16 - have to go through the qualifying rounds for tournaments? And is possible for a sub 64 players to draw the likes of RO, MS, NR in those qualifiers?
        For most events in the season that have a qualifying stage (i.e. as only 32 will appear at the main event - say in China) all 128 have to play for the last 32 places : EXCEPT for the World Championships.
        For events without a qualifying stage then all play together - known as the Flat 128 - and I think it is often a random draw.

For the World Championships the top 16 (or 15 and champion if outside the top 16) are SEEDED into the last 32, and they play the 16 players to qualify.
        In the old days the top 16 were seeded to nearly every event, now it is the other way round.

As you saw on Thursday, the matches fo the last 32 were by random pull out of the bag, one bag for the seeds (top 16) and one bag for the qualifiers.
        Seed plays qualifier.
        Last edited by DeanH; 22 April 2019, 02:31 PM.
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
          For most events in the season that have a qualifying stage (i.e. as only 32 will appear at the main event - say in China) all 128 have to play for the last 32 places : EXCEPT for the World Championships.
          For events without a qualifying stage then all play together - known as the Flat 128 - and I think it is often a random draw.

For the World Championships the top 16 (or 15 and champion if outside the top 16) are SEEDED into the last 32, and they play the 16 players to qualify.
          In the old days the top 16 were seeded to nearly every event, now it is the other way round.

As you saw on Thursday, the matches fo the last 32 were by random pull out of the bag, one bag for the seeds (top 16) and one bag for the qualifiers.
          Seed plays qualifier.
          Thanks again.

I'm asking this because so many people over on Steam (it's a network for gamers) are whinging in the thread for the Snooker 19 game, because they say it's wrong that when we start a career as a player ranked sub 64, we shouldn't be meeting top 16 players in the qualifiers because top 16 players don't have to qualify.

I just wanted to check before I went shooting my mouth off and defending the game.
          "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

• Been reading the two threads on this new computer game... seems they released it too early (to coincide with WSC) with all the bugs etc being described.
            Luckily I have never got the bug (pardon the pun ) for computer games - unless Solitaire, TriPeaks, and Freecell count?
            Usually just on the phone when out waiting for one of the children
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• If James Cahill was to become World Snooker Champion for 2019, the ÂŁ500,000 prize money would not be added to his order of merit because he is not a tour player, and he would start on zero prize money and points at the beginning of the 2019/2020 season. But he would be seeded N0 2 for every event he entered as World Champion, and seeded N0 1 for next years event. But would he also get a wild card into The Masters as World Champion seeing as only the top 16 players are invited. Shaun Murphy was world ranked 21 in the 2005/2006 season and was invited to The Masters as World Champion. Ian McCulloch was the world Number 16 that year and was also invited, so will the same happen again if James Cahill was to become The World Champion.
              Ronnie O' Sullivan seven times the record breaking Snooker Master

Comment

• Originally Posted by Mr Snooker View Post
                If James Cahill was to become World Snooker Champion for 2019, the ÂŁ500,000 prize money would not be added to his order of merit because he is not a tour player, and he would start on zero prize money and points at the beginning of the 2019/2020 season. But he would be seeded N0 2 for every event he entered as World Champion, and seeded N0 1 for next years event. But would he also get a wild card into The Masters as World Champion seeing as only the top 16 players are invited. Shaun Murphy was world ranked 21 in the 2005/2006 season and was invited to The Masters as World Champion. Ian McCulloch was the world Number 16 that year and was also invited, so will the same happen again if James Cahill was to become The World Champion.
                From what I see I think we really don't need to "worry" about this. Cahill won't become world champion.

Comment

• Might be good for Cahill to just knock Ronnie out now as he clearly can’t be arsed this year.

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                    Been reading the two threads on this new computer game... seems they released it too early (to coincide with WSC) with all the bugs etc being described.
                    It's far from perfect, Dean. I just hope the developers don't run off with our money, but instead stand by their product and roll out the patch fixes promptly.

It's pretty par for the course these days. Developers now release games at 80% finished, then let the mugs who buy the game on release, to do their bug testing for them.

Comment

• Well that was a smack on the arse for Cahill. Took the frame for granted with that loose pot attempt on frame red.

Comment

• Originally Posted by vilkrang View Post
                        Might be good for Cahill to just knock Ronnie out now as he clearly can’t be arsed this year.
                        I dont buy his "cant bother" tactics. Its more likely coping mechanism against expectations.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Billy View Post
                          Well that was a smack on the arse for Cahill. Took the frame for granted with that loose pot attempt on frame red.
                          Ronnie was extremely lucky with that green though.

Comment

• Originally Posted by kibo View Post
                            I dont buy his "cant bother" tactics. Its more likely coping mechanism against expectations.
                            Definitely. Nobody with his mind right would ever think that Ronnie O'sullivan doesn't want to become World Champion - in any year.

Comment

• Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
                              Ronnie was extremely lucky with that green though.
                              That's very true to be fair. Snooker gods at work.

Comment

• Originally Posted by vilkrang View Post
                                Might be good for Cahill to just knock Ronnie out now as he clearly can’t be arsed this year.
                                He most definitely can be arsed. He chooses what he enters, applies himself, and wins the vast majority of his matches. He is human. He's allowed to get nervous or have an off day and miss a few pots. For all his strengths, his b or c game is nowhere near his best.

Comment

Working...
                                X