X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snookerball
    replied
    Originally Posted by Ronnington View Post
    Just read that Judd had laser eye surgery at 17yo and again at 25yo, does this fall into the 'performance enhancing' category?

Similar to when Tiger Woods having laser eye surgery to give himself better than 20/20 vision, there was some controversy around that. I'd do the same if I could afford it mind

Just read the match stats again I was surprised at John's safety success % being lower than Judd's.

Those stats show it was certainly a superb performance from Judd, but we have seen even higher quality finals from individuals in the past (Hendry UK '94, WC '93/'94, O'Sullivan Masters '05, WC '04/'12/'13), I understand why BBC are pushing the hyperbole as they need to act in a fluffy PR way to promote the game to general viewers
    I'm not sure. My understanding is the surgery Trump had essentially gives him the same vision he had with contact lens without contact lens (20/20). If I could afford it and had an eyesight problem, I'd do it. Tyger's on the other hand was to give him 20/15 vision; which is a performance enhancement.

Leave a comment:

• SnookerFan
    replied
    Judd Trump won.

Leave a comment:

• vilkrang
    replied
    Originally Posted by Ronnington View Post
    Stats from the final

Pot success:
    J.Higgins: 92%
    J.Trump: 92%

Long pot success:
    J.Higgins: 61%
    J.Trump: 74%

Safety success:

J.Higgins: 72%
    J.Trump: 83%
    Thank you. So, a great performance, but nothing we haven't seen before.

Leave a comment:

• Stormwatch
    replied
    Best WC final ever, my a%%...One sided match. We knew the winner from the first day. Some great shots from Trump though and it's always pleasant to watch Higgins taking a beating.

Leave a comment:

• Ronnington
    replied
    Just read that Judd had laser eye surgery at 17yo and again at 25yo, does this fall into the 'performance enhancing' category?

Similar to when Tiger Woods having laser eye surgery to give himself better than 20/20 vision, there was some controversy around that. I'd do the same if I could afford it mind

Just read the match stats again I was surprised at John's safety success % being lower than Judd's.

Those stats show it was certainly a superb performance from Judd, but we have seen even higher quality finals from individuals in the past (Hendry UK '94, WC '93/'94, O'Sullivan Masters '05, WC '04/'12/'13), I understand why BBC are pushing the hyperbole as they need to act in a fluffy PR way to promote the game to general viewers

Leave a comment:

• gavpowell
    replied
    Originally Posted by snookerball View Post
    No mention of his drug habits, but I think he saved that for his second autobiography
    It's years since I read it, but I think he goes into his use of cocaine, but not crack. But I'm still not convinced by his crack stories - he went mad for it but then just gave it up, just like that? It seems unlikely.

Leave a comment:

• Ronnington
    replied
    Stats from the final

Pot success:
    J.Higgins: 92%
    J.Trump: 92%

Long pot success:
    J.Higgins: 61%
    J.Trump: 74%

Safety success:

J.Higgins: 72%
    J.Trump: 83%

Leave a comment:

• snookerball
    replied
    Originally Posted by gavpowell View Post
    Are you interested in tips they may offer or just good reading? I think I still have a copy of Running by Ronnie - never read it as I was told it had nothing new to say. If I have you're welcome to that. If you haven't already, read Behind the White Ball, Jimmy White's first autobiography - it's absolutely riveting!
    Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
    Second for the Jimmy Autobbiography. He also did a coaching book called Snooker Masterclass. Stephen Hendry also released a Snooker Masterclass which I prefered, it contains some interesting stories as well as the coaching stuff. Steve Davis- Successful Snooker has some decent tips and practice routines. I have Stephen Hendry's recent autobiography on audiobook which I'll post a review of one day. It's read by Hendry and he does a decent job. Probably more interesting having him read it than reading it yourself. Excellent for sending you off to sleep at night.
    Just a massive thanks for these recommendations. Arrived this morning and I've already read thirteen chapters. It's fair to say there's a great deal of non-snooker talk in it, but it doesn't matter; his relationship with "Dodgy Bob" and Tony Meo as teenagers going round snooker halls coining it off people (and fruit machine raiding) is interesting. I wasn't aware of that. A pretty cool revelation is that he thinks one of his best matches was a non-professional match against Charlie Poole in 1977 - now whether that's embellished to help sell his other book (written by you guessed it Charlie Poole), I'll let you decide, but he makes a interesting point about being good at snooker and being a good pro being different. No mention of his drug habits, but I think he saved that for his second autobiography.

And I'm someone who rarely reads (the reason I was looking to buy snooker books is to get back into reading with a topic i'm interested in). Some absolutely gold tales from his early career, especially the stuff with Alex Higgins and Con Dunne in Ireland. I think I've only put it down to eat and come and thank you for the recommendation since I started reading it.

Leave a comment:

• Mark187187
    replied
    Originally Posted by screw-back View Post
    He has a tendency to play like an amateur club player at times. More often than not, he's on target but when he misses, he can look ridiculously bad. Glad he's got the monkey off his back though.
    Average player in my club barely knows one end of the cue from the other.

Leave a comment:

• screw-back
    replied
    He has a tendency to play like an amateur club player at times. More often than not, he's on target but when he misses, he can look ridiculously bad. Glad he's got the monkey off his back though.

Leave a comment:

• arsalanjami
    replied
    Originally Posted by ken147 View Post
    He needs the cue power because the countless times he's out of position he needs a power shot to recover the break. He's not a master break builder like O'Sullivan, Higgins, Hendry or Ding.
    I don't know about this. He made some incredible breaks and had that white ball on a string for most of the final. I do see your point and he does have some ways to go...but he has more tools and could potentially be better. Time will tell

Leave a comment:

• ken147
    replied
    Originally Posted by MrRottweiler View Post
    I admit I have said in the past Judd isn't capable of being a world champion because the difference with the WC over any other tournament is the distance. Best of 19 is the first round and that is the final for a lot of other tournaments so you can never really know how it's going to pan out. You have a lot of frames to play to get over the winning line and need to play the percentage game and play the right shots. Even players like Ronnie and Robertson have the percentage game going on in the background and don't get sucked in to risky pots. I've been shouting at the TV for years when Judd chooses the wrong shot and misses sending balls all over the table and wondering why he doesn't tighten up his safety game. He did that this year and won. I don't recall seeing a single shot he played that wasn't overdoing the risks. He got the pots anyway and never seemed like missing. I don't think I've ever seen a player breeze through the final like that and not let the occasion get the better of them. He really gave it everything and it was nice to see him with his family and manager during the photos. Judd now knows for certain that when he plays like that he is the best in the world so I will be interested to see how this affects his future seasons. He seems like a genuine lad who never complains and is always respectful of other players so I've never disliked him but I always knew he could be devastating if he stopped with the flash shots. Granted he has amazing cue power and it helped him a few times in the final but the fact is you very rarely need such cue power to be able to make frame winning breaks and he showed in the final just how good he is with the soft stuns and run throughs.
    He needs the cue power because the countless times he's out of position he needs a power shot to recover the break. He's not a master break builder like O'Sullivan, Higgins, Hendry or Ding.

Leave a comment:

• Mark187187
    replied
    Originally Posted by The Artful Dodger View Post
    His cue action will be his undoing. Granted, when he is on song then he has an excellent game but, he will be affected more than someone that has a good action when not firing on all cylinders. He will not be the type of player that rules the roost for a great length of time but will be sporadic in his greatness.
    Don't agree with this. He's used this cue action for 20+ years, it's automatic, second nature. Its like a professional violinist. They spend 20 years playing in an unnatural position, with their left arm contorted, but it becomes natural, and they don't fall apart under pressure every time they go on stage.

I don't think Judd on an off day is any worse than any one else on an off day, with the exception of Higgins maybe. He got to the final of the WC on his B game, and has won plenty more playing below par.

Leave a comment:

• The Artful Dodger
    replied
    His cue action will be his undoing. Granted, when he is on song then he has an excellent game but, he will be affected more than someone that has a good action when not firing on all cylinders. He will not be the type of player that rules the roost for a great length of time but will be sporadic in his greatness.

Leave a comment:

• presprout
    replied
    He played to a superb standard, and well deserved his win. Shot selection, and safety, were the missing components (previously) that stopped him from being a winner with his amazing ability. He'll never be a favourite of mine though, his cue action does my head in. If I cue'd it up like that I'd be lucky to hit the object ball....and when he's a fraction off his game, that's still a problem for him.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X