Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JimMalone
    replied
    Before the tournament I looked at the third quarter and for a second played with the thought of actually picking Gary Wilson for the semifinal. With Selby so clearly out of form and having heard that Allen's focus wasn't really on Snooker right now, Wilson seemed like he really could make a surprise there. Much more so definitely to me than Brecel or Lisowski for example. But then I said to myself it was just too much of a shot into the blue.

As for David Gilbert, despite me thinking he's a good and better player than (Gary) Wilson, I never would have thought that he would come through in that first quarter. I imagined he could beat Perry and Williams, but then also Wilson or Hawkins? No way.

I can't remember to have TWO such surprising semifinalists since 2005, when Murphy and McCulloch both made it.

I think Trump will beat Wilson, though Gary won't go down without a fight. I imagine there's more possible for Gilbert, especially if he gets a tired Higgins, whose physical shape isn't the best these days.
    However my pick is that the winner of Higgins/Robertson will go on to win the title. But this is a World Championship full of surprises.

Leave a comment:

• PatBlock
    replied
    Good performance from DBG and Yeah, Kyren seemed to just run out of steam. Still, not a bad run for him and what doesn't kill ya....

Hoping for a magnificent Maguire comeback tonight, but it seems unlikely.

-

Leave a comment:

• Billy
    replied
    Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
    I'll congratulate you if it happens, but I don't think it will. :wink:
    No. Nor I.

Leave a comment:

• Odrl
    replied
    Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Can I just say I called this way back, following G Wilson's first win. Well, I didn't call it exactly, but I did say I wouldn't mind it. Still extremely unlikely when you look at the players still left in, but hey.
    I'll congratulate you if it happens, but I don't think it will. :wink:

Leave a comment:

• Billy
    replied
    Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
    A Gilbert-Wilson final? What next? :smile:
    Can I just say I called this way back, following G Wilson's first win. Well, I didn't call it exactly, but I did say I wouldn't mind it. Still extremely unlikely when you look at the players still left in, but hey.

Leave a comment:

• daffie
    replied
    That would work for me as well...

Leave a comment:

• Odrl
    replied
    A Gilbert-Wilson final? What next? :smile:

I am still hoping the top players that are left in the tournament play to their potential and give us one of those dream finals we wanted before the tournament started, something like... Trump-Robertson. :smile:

Leave a comment:

• vmax
    replied
    Originally Posted by Philthepockets View Post
    Never here of this happening on heated carom tables.
    Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
    I'm sure it happens, but a bigger bounce isn't such a big deal in carom if it doesn't affect the line. Also, a carom table has different cloth, like a US pool table, which probably makes a difference.
    Originally Posted by Rane View Post
    The rails are thicker on a carom table and the balls much heavier, so I donĀ“t think the two tables can be compared.
    No one plays a non contact cue ball position to an object ball when playing three cushion billiards, you play a scoring stroke and then think of another from where the balls lie and if you get a bigger bounce it wouldn't make a ha'p'orth of difference.

Leave a comment:

• Mark187187
    replied
    Originally Posted by lennon11 View Post
    Feel Kyren Wilson has become overly methodical/mechanical, so much so that when the mechanics of his stroke are perfect, he has no bit of rhythm/natural talent left to rely on to see him through a tough patch, Hence his hugely slow shot times.
    His shot time isn't overly slow, but he runs the risk of becoming the new Ebdon if he carries on down this path.

Leave a comment:

• Billy
    replied
    Originally Posted by sixofclubs View Post
    Great interview with Dave Gilbert on the BBC. He came across really well.
    Apart from when Hazel made him snort and a shiny snot pole dropped from his left nostril.

Leave a comment:

• JimMalone
    replied
    Originally Posted by Diesel3390 View Post
    Agreed. Robertson seems to have had the upper hand all throughout the contest... so I'm a bit baffled as to how Higgins is 9-7 up...??
    It was just early on in this session I think. Higgins got better into his usual groove and gained advantage in the tactical battles, forcing Robertson to some difficult pots, which he missed.
    Still neither got really easy chances, but John was mostly the first in the balls and was more decisive in his break-building in the second part of today's morning session.

Leave a comment:

• daffie
    replied
    Originally Posted by sixofclubs View Post

Hoping for a Gilbert - Gary Wilson final now!
    Indeed. And me too...would love that Final.

Leave a comment:

• jrc750
    replied
    Originally Posted by Ronnie's tip View Post
    Trump with a free ticket to the final. Perfect for him.

Higgins/Robertson could be a classic.
    How do you work that out then ???

Leave a comment:

• Cue crafty
    replied
    Originally Posted by lennon11 View Post
    Feel Kyren Wilson has become overly methodical/mechanical, so much so that when the mechanics of his stroke are perfect, he has no bit of rhythm/natural talent left to rely on to see him through a tough patch, Hence his hugely slow shot times.
    Totally agree. Said similar myself in a few posts now. There is a lot to be said for a PSR but feel he's taken it a step (or 3) too far.

Leave a comment:

• sixofclubs
    replied

Hoping for a Gilbert - Gary Wilson final now!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X