This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Alex0paul View Post
    I wonder if this will be critisized as much as the 2006 final. I doubt it because Ronnie's in it! O'Sullivan is playing to his C game and Carter is probably at his P game. The irritating thing is people are saying oh what a player O'Sullivan is because he is winning despite not playing his best as if Carter is.

Edited to add that Phil Yates is the most punchable bloke ever.
    Quite original edit
    I saw that going differently in my mind

Comment

• Originally Posted by hegeland View Post
      Carter seemed to think he didn't belong in the final. I mean, the guy is a great snooker player, but he is no winner. Never has, never will. It takes a certain kind of mentality. :
      You could well be right about that. However, there is a chance he can go on from this and maybe up his self-belief in tournaments to come. Maybe winning one or two. He has played well enough to be in the w/c final; he has to remember that.

Originally Posted by Alex0paul View Post
      I wonder if this will be critisized as much as the 2006 final. I doubt it because Ronnie's in it! .
      Exactly. This means at least it will never be slow. Unlike 2006.

A match with Ronnie in it can never be boring IMO, no matter how scrappy it gets. Impossible for a ROS match to get as turgid as the 2006 final. If it did Ronnie would likely loose his marbles alltogether and walk out.
      Last edited by dannyd0g; 5 May 2008, 06:02 PM.
      "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

Well, while the 2006 final didn't offer much great snooker, it was still exciting because it was quite a tensed and close game.

This time it's nothing but a big yawn. Carter seemed to think it was all over before it even started ("if I'm there in the final session") and ever since the first few frames he has looked as if he wanted to hand the trophy to O'Sullivan and go home. I have rarely seen a guy that looked like such a loser from frame one. It's obvious that he has never thought he would have even half a chance in this match, which is sad.

!
        Quite harsh, but rings true none the less....
        "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

Well, while the 2006 final didn't offer much great snooker, it was still exciting because it was quite a tensed and close game.

This time it's nothing but a big yawn. Carter seemed to think it was all over before it even started ("if I'm there in the final session") and ever since the first few frames he has looked as if he wanted to hand the trophy to O'Sullivan and go home. I have rarely seen a guy that looked like such a loser from frame one. It's obvious that he has never thought he would have even half a chance in this match, which is sad.

Even Hendry seemed more fired up, and at a point where he was even more behind than Carter was!
          Ok but the semi finals were very tense with really good snooker. And carter never pushed O'Sullivan to play better. And ROS taking no risks even not for a 147...

Comment

• Really dissapointed with this years final, been really a low key event. Because we all know who is going to win and you can tell that both players dont really feel up for the match.

The final, for me atleast always has a special atmosphere, watching on tv but it hasnt done at all for me this time because of the above reasons.

A good final needs to be high breaks, and some missed pots with high drama and go very close. And most of all you dont know who is going to win.

For me, O Sullivan has effectivly ruined the World Final, because you just know hes going to win fairly easily and theres just no real match.

When Ronnie plays and on form, yes good to watch him play but like in the UK, and now this final he ruins it by winning easily, its so dull. And because of this I dont really like Ronnie in finals because theres always a risk of just him steam rollering the other guy and the final then finishes early and its just no real fun for the viewer what so ever.

Most of the World Finals gets a very good 4th session in. This years 4th session is going to be the lowest key 4th session of the world final to date. Because there wont be much of it. Unless Carter can win all 4 frames up to the interval. And well, not much chance of that is there.

Also you can just tell the Ronnie seems to be a bit bored out there.

This final would have been miles better if Hendry or Murphy were in it.

Comment

• Originally Posted by daoc2006 View Post

If you mean instead of ROS then indeed Carter would have had at least a chance and would have started with more ambition.

Comment

• Was to be expected, I am happy Carter managed to get a few frames to make it less embarrasing for him.
                You can't really blame O'Sullivan, why should he bother? If he can beat the opponent with his B game, why play better? (of course most of this happens subconsciously). All the fanboys will say/write how great O'Sullivan was anyway
                Ein jedes Werkzeug ist ein Tand in eines tumben Toren Hand.

Comment

• i think ronnie peaked against hendry - its hard to keep up that level of play.
                  https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

• Originally Posted by daoc2006 View Post
                    For me, O Sullivan has effectivly ruined the World Final, because you just know hes going to win fairly easily and theres just no real match.

Its hardly Ronnies fault that the opposition arent up to it. ROS belongs in the final; no question. I agree that Murphy would have made a better finalist, but only to replace Carter. Same goes for Maguire. For me, i blame Perry for knocking Maguire out, and ruining the World final.
                    Last edited by dannyd0g; 5 May 2008, 06:17 PM.

Comment

• The tournament on a whole has been overrated. Bar a few matches in the first round, the Liang v Swail, Perry v Maguire and the Perry v Carter matches there have too many going into the final session with the outcome all but guarenteed. Yes there have been two 147s but does that make up for the countless onesided matches? Not in my opinion.
                      TSF World Champion 2010
                      TSF Snooker Prediction Contest Overall Champion 2006/07
                      BBC Snooker Prediction Contest Overall Champion 2005/06

Comment

• Originally Posted by Ekphantos View Post
                        Was to be expected, I am happy Carter managed to get a few frames to make it less embarrasing for him.
                        You can't really blame O'Sullivan, why should he bother? If he can beat the opponent with his B game, why play better? (of course most of this happens subconsciously). All the fanboys will say/write how great O'Sullivan was anyway
                        He was great against Hendry - and you can't expect 147s all the time. Today he is very average and carter is not capable to play at a very high and entertaining level. So it' s always has to come from O'sullivan or nothing happens it seems.

Comment

• Well Ronnie doesn't look on top form but Carter doing too much mistakes
                          2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
                          2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

• Originally Posted by dannyd0g View Post
                            You could well be right about that. However, there is a chance he can go on from this and maybe up his self-belief in tournaments to come. Maybe winning one or two. He has played well enough to be in the w/c final; he has to remember that.
                            He has, and I would love it if he proved me wrong, but playing well in a tournament and playing well in the final is two different things.

We have tons of great snooker players, but only a handful have won more than one or two tournaments during their 10-15 years at the top.

Comment

• hendry mentioned in his interview after the ROS loss that there are some shots he doesn't/can't go for which he considers to be a handicap...does anyone have any insight on this? although he's past his peak, i wouldn't think there's any obvious weaknesses in the great man's game

Comment

• Originally Posted by zong View Post
                                hendry mentioned in his interview after the ROS loss that there are some shots he doesn't/can't go for which he considers to be a handicap...does anyone have any insight on this? although he's past his peak, i wouldn't think there's any obvious weaknesses in the great man's game
                                I think he was refering to an around the cushions shot on a pink to get to the black when clearing the table.

Comment

Working...
                                X