Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graeme Dott...

Hi all.

I don't know whether this has been discussed already, but I watched the closing stages of Graeme Dott against Barry Hawkins on Sunday night. I have never been a Dott fan, but I thought his reaction when he won was appalling. The looks on his face as he punched the air and gestured to the audience were not smiles of delight that he'd won. It seemed more as if he actually wanted to punch someone - he looked angry and arrogant. I just wondered, are there people on this forum who actually like Dott? Did anyone else think that his reaction upon winning was disrepectful to his opponent and actually made you dislike him more? I just wondered what people's thoughts were and whether I'm in a minority in my view...

I liked his reaction. I've never been much of a Dott fan but I enjoyed watching him play and I didn't think he was disrespectful.

Comment

I did'nt personally think there was anything wrong with it. He was just very relieved he had scraped through. He has had alot of family problems over the last 18 months/2 years and his results in that time have been very poor.

Its really not as bad as Ebdon doing it mid match like he used to.

Comment

I didn't get to see the closing stages of the match so it's difficult to judge.....but i think it's more down to the delight & pure relief of coming through a very close match & tough opponent in Barry Hawkins. I have no problem in a player expressing there "emotions" after they've won and obviously this win meant a lot for Dott.
        "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

I can understand Dott's celebration, he has terrible couple of season's behind him. His form is returning which is worth celebrating. There was nothing disrespectful about that IMO. Also it was a close match so can't blame anyone getting 'kicks' out of winning that..

Comment

I agree expressing emotion is good when you win. Much better than being a robot! However, I'd much rather see a player smile and punch the air whilst walking out than punch the air with that look of disgust that was on Dott's face.

It wasn't so much the punching the air but the look on his face as he walked out. For those that haven't seen it, look at this...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/othe...er/8006947.stm

It's the video halfway down. That look on his face just as he walks out (at 4 mins 8 seconds). Most players would just smile. Maybe Dott's not capable of that?

It's hard to describe, but watching it I just really wished that Hawkins had beaten him. Only my opinion of course, and I'm happy for people to disagree. That's what this forum is for, after all!
            Last edited by murdock; 21 April 2009, 10:59 AM.

Comment

I think it showed how much it meant to him - happy doesn't enter into it; he needed it, to hopefully progress up the rankings again, and possibly to prove a point to himself. I'm not a huge fan of him as a player, but I wish him the best of luck in overcoming his difficulties as of late.
              Das war ein FLUKE! Ein Glückstreffer!

Comment

Murdock.

There really is nothing to this, both he and Hawkins shook hands and said great game afterwards, there was no disrespect there at all, and Dott did'nt look angry, just a hugely relieved man like a weight has been lifted off his shoulders.

Comment

Look at his celebrations at 2006 WC when he won it, it's the same. He doesn't smile but he's not being disrespectful either. It's just his style.

Comment

& lets not forget after all this is the World Championship there competing in - & if a player is going to "express" the joy - relief whatever you want to call it then there's nothing wrong with that all as long as it's not done in a disrespectful manner.....infact i would like to see more players do that!

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

& lets not forget after all this is the World Championship there competing in - & if a player is going to "express" the joy - relief whatever you want to call it then there's nothing wrong with that all as long as it's not done in a disrespectful manner.....infact i would like to see more players do that!

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Didnt strike me as nasty at all.

Good track record here, and now he is into 3 sessions he has got to be beat and he is a handful for anyone.

Comment

Nothing in this at all, similar to reactions from Peter Ebdon in the past during matches which has been emotional but certainly not disrespectful. It means a lot to the guy, simple as that.
                          “There are a lot of good players capable of winning the title but as long as I’m still in it they’ve got a headache.” Stephen Hendry

Comment

Didn't like it when I saw it, reminded me of Michael Phelps somehow, but that's more like personal opinion... I am not very fond of gestures like that in general. Definitely nothing out of order there.
                            Ein jedes Werkzeug ist ein Tand in eines tumben Toren Hand.

Comment

Originally Posted by Ekphantos View Post
                              Didn't like it when I saw it, reminded me of Michael Phelps somehow, but that's more like personal opinion... I am not very fond of gestures like that in general. Definitely nothing out of order there.
                              I guess this is where I was coming from. Maybe disrepectful is the wrong word for it. It's my personal opinion too, I suppose - I just don't like gestures like that. I just prefer to see a wave and a smile at the end. That's the kind of thing that makes you want to see a player win next time, I think. It makes them seem more human.

Comment

Working...
                              X