Graeme Dott...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Wim View Post
    The way he reacted after his first round exit against McCullogh the year after he became worldchamp was an example of bad sportmanship. He has the right to be unhappy but he was very, very little in defeat then.
    Yes, I remember that. But I can't remember him behaving like that before or after that. Your post gives me an impression that 'bad sportsmanship' is something he's regularly guilty of. And that comment concerning McCulloch coincides the times that Dott's personal problems began to surface. That doesn't justify bad behavior but it may explain it.

Comment

Originally Posted by Wim View Post
      The way he reacted after his first round exit against McCullogh the year after he became worldchamp was an example of bad sportmanship. He has the right to be unhappy but he was very, very little in defeat then.
      Yes, he was on that occasion. Champions are competitive guys and a few occasional comments from Stephen Hendry, Ronnie, John Higgins (to name only three that come immediately to my mind) fall into the same category. Most of the time they are gracious in defeat and victory though.
      Graeme Dott as a person is more emotional than most. It might not be everyone's cup of tea but then the world would be boring if we were all out of the same mould.
      Proud winner of the 2008 Bahrain Championship Lucky Dip
      http://ronnieosullivan.tv/forum/index.php

Comment

Originally Posted by Looki View Post
        Yes, I remember that. But I can't remember him behaving like that before or after that. Your post gives me an impression that 'bad sportsmanship' is something he's regularly guilty of. And that comment concerning McCulloch coincides the times that Dott's personal problems began to surface. That doesn't justify bad behavior but it may explain it.
        I remember a match against Steve Davis several years ago in the first round at the crucible. They only managed 6 frames in the first session (and Steve won all of them). At the end of the match, Dott just launched into a tirade against Steve about slow play and how Steve engaged in bad sportsmanship with this tactic (with no other comments about the match and how well Steve Davis had played). Many other players came out at the time in support of Davis - supporting him and saying that Dott was displaying sour grapes and bad sportsmanship, which of course he was.

Comment

Originally Posted by murdock View Post
          I remember a match against Steve Davis several years ago in the first round at the crucible. They only managed 6 frames in the first session (and Steve won all of them). At the end of the match, Dott just launched into a tirade against Steve about slow play and how Steve engaged in bad sportsmanship with this tactic (with no other comments about the match and how well Steve Davis had played). Many other players came out at the time in support of Davis - supporting him and saying that Dott was displaying sour grapes and bad sportsmanship, which of course he was.
          Ok, that confirmed his status as a regular moaner. I'm now convinced that bad sportsmanship characterises him...

Comment

Sorry about that.

Comment

Ok, that confirmed his status as a regular moaner. I'm now convinced that bad sportsmanship characterises him...
              A bit of an over-reaction. You merely asked for examples of when it had happened before and I gave you one. I didn't pass judgement either way in my post. I merely recalled an incident from a few years ago where he moaned and displayed bad sportsmanship when he lost. This is a forum and we accept that we all have different opinions. I love having a good debate and don't mind if people disagree, provided it's done in good spirits!

Comment

A bit of an over-reaction. You merely asked for examples of when it had happened before and I gave you one. I didn't pass judgement either way in my post. I merely recalled an incident from a few years ago where he moaned and displayed bad sportsmanship when he lost. This is a forum and we accept that we all have different opinions. I love having a good debate and don't mind if people disagree, provided it's done in good spirits!
                Yes, i understand that. I apologise.

Comment

Yes, i understand that. I apologise.
                  No problem at all

Comment

The Crucible matches are a big to the players, the sport and the fans. I'd rather have the players moan and bitch (or, preferably, smile and laugh) than shrug and be indifferent. As Mon said, they are oftentimes interviewed mere minutes after a win or a defeat, and sometimes a defeat can smart for a long time.

Are we all entirely happy with all press confies going:

- It was a good match, he played well, but I managed to stay calm and focused, played my own game, and I beat him. Just happy to get through to the next round (alternatively 'over the moon to have won this tournament'). This city /tournament is a great one and I always feel very welcome here.

Ok, so Dott has said some less favourable things in the past. He might do so again in the future. I've also seen him virtually bounce around with energy and joy after winning. I thought we wanted the snooker players to stand out of the crowd, to be recognisable personalities, so what's wrong with that? We don't always need to agree with whatever they say, and I'm sure we can all identify with the disappointment or frustration behind his previous comments.

Let the guy be himself.
                    Das war ein FLUKE! Ein Glückstreffer!

Comment

Originally Posted by Monique View Post
                      I agree with both 1lawyer and Kingscratcher and I can't help wondering how many of these comments would be made if Dott was a 6ft big guy with a dark brown voice.
                      You mean if he sounded like a black man?

Comment

It's common knowledge that McCulloch and Dott don't like each other at all. I'm not sure why that is, but it dates back before that first round match in the Crucible.

And I like Dott, he's a bit of an anti-hero, I remember before he won the WC there was a somewhat obese girl wearing an 'I'm Dotty' T-shirt at almost every tournament supporting him, and I thought it was a bit sad that she was his only real fan. Now here we are, a thread about Graeme Dott has nearly 40 replies, so he must be a bit of a character.

Comment

Originally Posted by Mal View Post
                          My opinion is his track record is over rated - Before this year, in 10 visits to the crucible he had lost in the 1st round 6 times and 2nd round twice - so only got past the 2nd round twice in 10! Of course, those times he got to the final, but like Joe Johnson they are the exceptions.
                          Mal, he has been a late maturer and his game is unrecognisable to just 4 years ago.
                          Ive been impressed with what Ive seen recently, and he wont fear anyone and thats a big plus at this game.

Comment

Originally Posted by rivercard View Post
                            And I like Dott, he's a bit of an anti-hero, I remember before he won the WC there was a somewhat obese girl wearing an 'I'm Dotty' T-shirt at almost every tournament supporting him, and I thought it was a bit sad that she was his only real fan. Now here we are, a thread about Graeme Dott has nearly 40 replies, so he must be a bit of a character.
                            Yes, I agree. I have to say when I started this thread I didn't expect so much discussion. Great to hear everyone's views on this - lots of mixed opinions - and always good to have a healthy debate!

Comment

Yes, I agree. I have to say when I started this thread I didn't expect so much discussion. Great to hear everyone's views on this - lots of mixed opinions - and always good to have a healthy debate!
                              He is a very good player, so deserves due consideration as well.

Comment

Hey Murdock you should see the thread I started entitled exactly the same as yours "Graeme Dott" about a month ago (seriously search for it)

Monique the fact he is short and small with a high pitched voice isnt a concern anyones brought up except you...it really isnt a problem (for me at least)

His behaviour in 2006 (Kissing the trophy etc..) stunk to high heavens and shouting as he did after beating Hawkins was pathetic. Thats the kind of thing to do in your dressing room afterwards. And before anyone asks I told Peter he was a prize ***** for what he did against Stephen Lee!
                                Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
                                Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

Working...
                                X