No announcement yet.

Welsh Open 2013 - Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So he's got problems other than slow play by opponents then ....

Comment

• Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
      Trump beat Ebdon 5-1 in the QF of the 2011 China Open, the first tournament he ever won, and also beat Ebdon 9-1 in the SF of the International Championship this season. So I don't think he has any problems playing Ebdon. :wink:
      So he's got problems other than slow play by opponents then ....

Comment

• Originally Posted by crocodile View Post
        So he's got problems other than slow play by opponents then ....
        I would submit that no professional snooker player actually has problems with slow play by opponents, some might say (or have said) they do, and might even believe it to be true, but I think in all cases there is some other problem they're having and the slow play just aggravates them bringing the underlying problem out. If you're playing well, nothing your opponent can do will get you down. If you're playing badly, everything seems to be/go against you and you look for excuses.
        "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
        - Linus Pauling

Comment

• What a strange set of QF matches we have on today.
          A resurgence of KD to play an inform SB
          but the very interesting one is the JT vs. PA (a new set of initials for us )
          I will be watching this on BB2Wales and let Sky+ record the other.

Then later, Ding Junhui to play Rob Milkins; and Stephen Maquire vs (another resurgent) Alan McManus.
          A good day I think is in the offing for us snooker-fans
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Yes I think a very good snooker day ahead. Not sure yet which match to watch live this afternoon and which one to record to watch later on...but as eurosport is yet to cover the Trump - Advani match, I think it's Bingham - Doherty to start of with for me.

Edit : what a start by Ken!
            Last edited by daffie; 15 February 2013, 01:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by daffie View Post
              Yes I think a very good snooker day ahead. Not sure yet which match to watch live this afternoon and which one to record to watch later on...
              Trump-Advani is the match to watch I think. :smile:

It could go either way really... Advani has been quite impressive so far, very fluent scoring against Murphy, and a convincing victory over Dott as well. Obviously the problem for him is the lack of experience at this level, and possibly the chance of the occasion getting to him a bit. Trump should have been out really, he was quite fortunate to get over the line against Dale, because it was in Dale's hands at one point, but he let it slip. Trump didn't really play well in the best-of-11 tournaments recently, nor in Germany, but I'm sure all the top players will be happy for the longer matches at this point. As am I, to be honest. :smile: As I said, it could go either way, but surely Trump's class makes him the favourite.

I also think Bingham should beat Doherty this afternoon. Doherty did beat Higgins, but it wasn't really a great match and Higgins was all over the place. I don't know how well Doherty played against Ford, but I suspect he lacks the firepower to go any further in this tournament, especially with the way Bingham is playing. It's no surprise to see one-visit stuff from Bingham these days, and he will be confident after his win against Robertson, even though Robertson did kind of bottle that decider. I think this will be something like 5-2 for Bingham.

It's an interesting lineup, four seeds and four qualifiers. But at the same time, it kind of feels like there are only four players who can win the tournament now, which is less than you would expect at the QF stage. But you never know... :wink:

Comment

Trump-Advani is the match to watch I think. :smile:

It could go either way really... Advani has been quite impressive so far, very fluent scoring against Murphy, and a convincing victory over Dott as well. Obviously the problem for him is the lack of experience at this level, and possibly the chance of the occasion getting to him a bit. Trump should have been out really, he was quite fortunate to get over the line against Dale, because it was in Dale's hands at one point, but he let it slip. Trump didn't really play well in the best-of-11 tournaments recently, nor in Germany, but I'm sure all the top players will be happy for the longer matches at this point. As am I, to be honest. :smile: As I said, it could go either way, but surely Trump's class makes him the favourite.

I also think Bingham should beat Doherty this afternoon. Doherty did beat Higgins, but it wasn't really a great match and Higgins was all over the place. I don't know how well Doherty played against Ford, but I suspect he lacks the firepower to go any further in this tournament, especially with the way Bingham is playing. It's no surprise to see one-visit stuff from Bingham these days, and he will be confident after his win against Robertson, even though Robertson did kind of bottle that decider. I think this will be something like 5-2 for Bingham.

It's an interesting lineup, four seeds and four qualifiers. But at the same time, it kind of feels like there are only four players who can win the tournament now, which is less than you would expect at the QF stage. But you never know... :wink:
                Indeed And I agree, very much looking forward to the Advani match. Unfortunately eurosport is atm still at the skiing, so 'forced' to watch the Doherty match. That one is pretty interesting atm with Ken 37 p and 1 frame up...

Edit : Ken now 2-0 up...wonderful start for him.

Edit2 : eurosport just switched to the Advani match...Trump 2-0 up. Interesting to see whether Advani is cool enough to come back from behind against Judd. I'm staying with the other match cause I have a feeling it might be the closer one.
                Last edited by daffie; 15 February 2013, 01:50 PM.

Comment

• Surprising start from Doherty. Well, his last semi-final appearance wasn't that long ago, Australia last season, so he can certainly still play. Bingham needs to raise his game pretty quickly, as Doherty won't be afraid of winning, and a 3-0 would be tough to overturn. :smile:

Comment

• Ken's getting some nice bits of luck. Keep going fella.

Comment

• Important frame for Stuart to win...2-1 behind now. I'm still standing behind my initial feeling that this could be a close one.
                      Last edited by daffie; 15 February 2013, 02:20 PM.

Comment

• Not much of a match on table 1 unfortunately, Trump proving too strong for Advani at the moment. He has been the victim of a couple of comebacks recently, but it's still tough to see him losing from 4-0. :wink:

Comment

Not much of a match on table 1 unfortunately, Trump proving too strong for Advani at the moment. He has been the victim of a couple of comebacks recently, but it's still tough to see him losing from 4-0. :wink:
                          4-0 already? Wow...very onesided match. What a shame indeed to see Judd loose this match after leading 4 frames

Comment

• Very disappointing for Advani. He did come back from 4 - 1 down to win 6 - 5 against Steve Davis in the 'International Championship' quals last August, so he's not a quitter, but this would be some comeback, with trump starting to find his form again. If he were to win the first couple of frames after the break though, put a little pressure on Judd...

-
                            The fast and the furious,
                            The slow and labourious,
                            All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

• Finally seems like Judd has his long game back, he looks on form today despite not making huge breaks he's had a few 50's and to be honest Advani looks scared of Judd. Its no good trying to keep a player like Judd tight when he's potting the long balls, you've got to take a chance and try and score yourself, that is why Judd will win a lot in his career, you've basically got to hope his long game is off or you'll have to outscore him which is easier said than done when he pots the first long red.

Comment

• Nows Dales chance to punch Trump square on the chin for whinging about alleged "slow play".

Comment

Working...
                                X