UK Championship 2012 - 1st round discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by trains View Post
    On the 'shame though' theme, another is the beeb stream between frames still only seems to go to the studio during finals,I've no idea why :-|
    Yeah, comes across as very amateurish doesn't it.

-
    The fast and the furious,
    The slow and labourious,
    All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

On the 'shame though' theme, watched Holts first attempt at a pot in frame one, ball should have stayed out but it dropped in off the near jaw.
      BBC pockets once again, and the usual excuse from Parrott that the new cloth makes the pockets bigger. That red would have stayed out in any of the PTC's I have been watching recently, yet in a BBC tournament it drops, what a surprise

Comment

No interest in the afternoon matches?

Maguire is starting to play well... It really should have gone 3-1 to O'Brien, but Maguire managed to get the final black and the re-spotted black as well, to level it at 2-2. He seems to have relaxed now, with two big breaks after the interval.

It's been more fluent on the other table, Ding and Day trading decent breaks, 4-4 at the moment. :smile:

Comment

Make that three big breaks. :wink:

Comment

Maguire is flying...... 3 centuries on the bounce and looks to be on a match winning break now!!
            Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
            Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

Maguire simply killed off the match after the interval.
              All the way Mark J!!

I understand nothing from snooker. - Dedicated to jrc750!

Winner of the German Masters 2011 Lucky Dip

Comment

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
                Make that three big breaks. :wink:
                Talk about stepping up a gear! Match to Mags 6 - 2.

-
                The slow and labourious,

Comment

Well played Ryan Day, those first few shots on that matching break were top notch!!
                  Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
                  Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

M White 10/3 R Milkins 9/4 C Yupeng 6/5 M Fu 2/1 J Lisowski 2/1,all prices from Hills to win their round 1 matches,pretty generous imo.

Comment

A helluva of display from White to get back to 2-2. Nothing crazy, but he has played more than decent, considering the circumstances for him.
                      All the way Mark J!!

Comment

It´s been quite a while since the last time I saw Selby play. It looks like he has started to play faster. Do anyone know when has he started to speed up ?
                        ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
                        "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

Bit by bit, I'm overcoming my hatred for Selby.
                          I don't hate him anymore when he isn't on the table or sitting down on his chair.
                          An improvement is improvement.

Anyway;

Originally Posted by montoya10 View Post
                          Second session:

Stephen Maguire against Fergal O'Brien. As I pointed out in my post above, I expect Maguire to be one of those that turn it on in a major event and he can overwhelm O'Brien here in the first round. I don't think O'Brien will be a threat, unless Maguire plays an out-of-sorts game, which usually becomes his opponents' forte, as he is a player capable of reaching the utmost level.
                          Checked.

Ding Junhui against Ryan Day. Day can come out, play with 95% potting and whitewash a quality opponent. He is that good when he is.. good. But the thing is he hasn't brought along that side of his game for a good amount of time. Lack of consistency most likely caused a degeneration of his strength, as well. Ding should be poised for something big in this tournament and he has a good record here in UK. He'll try to play his top game from day one, so that he can get into a little early rhythm. I can see him winning convincingly.
                          Way off (=

Mark Selby against Michael White. Realistically speaking, I cannot be objective here, with White being one of my favorite young players on tour. Then again, Selby is a tough match-up, one of the toughest for young players, as he keeps piling up the pressure for your side with his tactical maneuvers. It's down to how White responds to such kind of pressure, though. He can push Selby if he holds his nerves in check, but that won't be easy. Still, I don't expect him to get totally trashed. He will probably be able to show a bit of scoring when he gets an opportunity and that may win two or three frames. For more, he will need to play a tough matchplay snooker.
                          Checked.

Third session:

Graeme Dott against Martin Gould. This is one of those pairings where the qualifier cannot be really called to have caused an upset in case he defeats the seeded player. Gould is a dangerous opponent, although Dott's methodical gameplay may disturb him a bit. Nevertheless, I have a feeling that Gould will be in a better mood tonight and get a narrow win.
                          Looking good at the moment.

Overall improvement is good.
                          All the way Mark J!!

Comment

A strange butt interesting match between Gould and Dott, Graeme had to dig deep but came through in the end, well done Dotty.

Good day's snooker that and another 8 to go, way-hay!

-
                            The slow and labourious,

Comment

Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
                              A strange butt interesting match between Gould and Dott, Graeme had to dig deep but came through in the end, well done Dotty.

Good day's snooker that and another 8 to go, way-hay!

-
                              Indeed great trademark tenacity from Dott. Good day's snooker all 'n all...tomorrow is another day

Comment

And a midnight finish over here as well, very rare in 2012. :smile:

Should be a good day tomorrow as well. The two matches I'm particularly looking forward to are Davis-Cao and Allen-Fu. :smile:

Comment

Working...
                                X