Steel block cushions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
    It’s the only steel backed backed table I’ve ever played on so I’m only going on how this table plays which imo is comical
    If your regularly knocking in tons surly you must have played on steels before ,even if you didn't know it (easy to check around the cushion pocket plate ) .I played in the leagues for years and played on loads of them ,in fact many of the older tables are steels ,that seems very odd .

Comment

Yeah I think a lot of people assume steel cushion is some kind of new technology... didn’t they have steels back in 1800’s ? I know at one point they use to put slate into the wood cushions to help give a more solid cushion, but the cushions weighed too much which I think is how the steel cushion came about!

Comment

Lol, no, deffo not new!! Walter Buttery who started working for B&W around 1870, was credited with the invention of the "steel-block" cushion, which was registered as a patent in 1888. Within a few years, they were standard on all Burroughes & Watts full-sized tables, and protected by this patent, they were the only manufacturer to offer this feature at that time.
        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Yep my old B &W table had steels ,and that was over a 100 years old .What I meant that I thought was odd was Travis post about making century breaks regular ,but only ever playing on one table with steel cushions .

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
            Lol, no, deffo not new!! Walter Buttery who started working for B&W around 1870, was credited with the invention of the "steel-block" cushion, which was registered as a patent in 1888. Within a few years, they were standard on all Burroughes & Watts full-sized tables, and protected by this patent, they were the only manufacturer to offer this feature at that time.

Comment

Originally Posted by trying View Post

Nice, is that your table Trying? Bit newer than 1888 version by the looks of it with the Burwat sign on the plate, looks like the vacuum version too right?
              ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Yes, mine. 1920's apparently

Comment

Originally Posted by mikee View Post
                  Yep my old B &W table had steels ,and that was over a 100 years old .What I meant that I thought was odd was Travis post about making century breaks regular ,but only ever playing on one table with steel cushions .
                  I live in Jersey so there are not that many tables to be honest. Of the two main clubs one has 7 tables and the other 6. I’ve only played snooker for 10 years and most of them were playing for fun so I’ve never played snooks in the UK. Before I started playing snooker I played 8 ball pool competitively all over UK and France for over 20 years

Comment

Originally Posted by mikee View Post

If your regularly knocking in tons surly you must have played on steels before ,even if you didn't know it (easy to check around the cushion pocket plate ) .I played in the leagues for years and played on loads of them ,in fact many of the older tables are steels ,that seems very odd .
                    All you need is a magnet to check them, I use my chalkholder, if it sticks it's steel, but you marsupials with your pouches can't do that.
                    The only time I see a ball come off a cushion faster than when it goes on is when it's loaded with sidespin, first law of motion as described by Sir Isaac Newton
                    An object not subject to any net external force moves at a constant velocity, thus an object will continue to move at its current velocity unless some force acts upon it and causes its speed or direction to change.
                    It's more than very odd that a regular ton maker 'can't get on' with the more consistant bounce of a steel block table, and prefers the variable bounce of wooden block cushions that are more prone to atmospheric conditions, read between the lines folks
                    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

I played on wooden cushions today. It was freezing in the place, the balls were freezing , the table was so, so slow. The bed cloth wasn't bad but the bounce off the cushions was awful, does the cold affect how the rubber acts? .
                      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                        I played on wooden cushions today. It was freezing in the place, the balls were freezing , the table was so, so slow. The bed cloth wasn't bad but the bounce off the cushions was awful, does the cold affect how the rubber acts? .
                        Yes ,cold will kill the bounce on any table ,steel or wood ,a constant changing tempruture of extremes will also shorten the of if the rubber .Cold can ruin the rubber .

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                          Did you find you also had lots of kicks or heavy contacts?

Comment

I cover my table with two king size duvets to help keep the rubber from getting cold over night. Only down side to a snooker shed, can’t afford to keep it at 20 degrees all the time...

Comment

Thanks Mikee and Steve. Yes there were a good few kicks. It was that cold even my cue was freezing to the touch.
                              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by Danger Steve View Post
                                I cover my table with two king size duvets to help keep the rubber from getting cold over night. Only down side to a snooker shed, can’t afford to keep it at 20 degrees all the time...
                                Hot water bottles a good idea then? Just thinking of -5 Jan/Feb Temps!!
                                ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Working...
                                X