No announcement yet.

Playing with one eye dominant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I play with a dominant right eye due to having a lazy eye.

I pretty much close my left eye to avoid double vision. I've heard the depth argument before but I think my right eye has been forced to do both since I was 5 years old so it maybe doesnt affect me in the same way.

Comment

vmax

'My sarcasm is well founded after watching you play in the Canadian Amateurs. You say your performance was bad due to the pressure of poor quality tables and refereeing. I on the other hand saw a poor technique and a very bad sportsman and ill tempered individual who folded with a p1ss easy blue for the match with a ready made excuse to lose tucked away in his pocket.
      Take a look at yourself before giving advice to others because to be brutally honest I would expect to learn from someone who practises what he preaches and therefore I wouldn't go to you for coaching after that performance as I would expect that you were in fact applying what you teach and that it doesn't work.'

Very easy for you to sit in the bushes and chuck negative comments as we've never seen you on video playing in a pressure situation. As for the 'excuses' they were all true. I lose a frame through a difficult snooker and miss calls yet my opponent wasn't even called on a miss for a 2-cushion hit.

Besides which I made the semi's in the Open division and was 4th in the Senior division and at my age that's pretty good going not only in my opinion but in a lot of other people's too.

Before you criticize me how about putting up a video of yourself in a pressure match so I can get a fair shot at you.

Terry
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by sydneygeorge View Post
        My personal take on the DO theory is that if it was valid you would see people walking down the street with their heads tilted but of course we don't, when you look at a land mark in the distance do you automatically tilt you head ? .
        Regardless of anything else, this is a flawed analogy.

As I said originally, this seems a topic which isn't really going to make any difference to most players. If there is a right & wrong answer, it's clearly a very minor thing since so many players are getting 50+ breaks whichever way is wrong

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
          Before you criticize me how about putting up a video of yourself in a pressure match so I can get a fair shot at you.

Terry
          Is that all you've got Terry

How about you putting up a video of yourself in cruise mode on your own table playing freely without pressure so that we can see that in fact you can play the game to a higher standard than that, and that your advice is really worth taking.

After all, Les Edwards, coached by you and can hardly string three balls together, nrage coached by you with a high break of 26 and you playing very poorly on video is all I've got to go on.

I need more than words, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Comment

I'm not sure on this one , I'm a bit mixed up about it, we can all see that some players if not most don't cue bang in the centre, or have their heads perfectly square on, is this because they see a certain way ,or is it just their natural set up I don't know, I would like to ask some of them, did you start playing centre chin, but had to change it to improve,or is that just the way you set up naturally and just went with that.
            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

vmax:

Look, I have multiple videos up but you have chosen to criticize only the one where I dogged the match ball. I played well enough in the others to reach the semis and lost to the eventual winner so I must have done SOMETHING right at some point.

Put up a video of yourself or keep quiet. I'll say nothing more on this

Terry
              Terry Davidson

Comment

Put up a video of yourself or keep quiet. I'll say nothing more on this

Terry
                I made a light hearted remark, with smiley emoticon to go with it and instead of responding in kind you had a real go at me and j6 so I'm giving it back.
                Have all the english speaking Canadians lost their british sense of humour over the generations, or is it just you.
                You see when me and my mates are playing matches there is always a gentle ribbing when someone plays badly or misses a sitter and we all give and take it in the same way.

There are some however who push their bottom lip home in a wheel barrow when they lose and you're one of them.

Comment

Vmax:

Gee, mine were all just jokes too! (See, that's real easy to say). I guess you can't take it either, so join the club.

Now if I could just keep my eyes on the object ball at the time of strike I know I'd be your hero, but sometimes I leave the eyes on the cueball and clutch the cue and that's why I missed that blue ball. I guess I'm not perfect then, but I'm a good coach anyway. Do what I say and not what I do is the mantra for all coaches in any sport.

If it was your way I guess Nic Barrow would be world #1 and probably Del Hill world #2 althoug I would probably be world #502 or something.

Terry
                  Terry Davidson

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                    Have all the english speaking Canadians lost their british sense of humour over the generations, or is it just you.
                    i been thinking the same for a while now..
                    with tel it seems different because hes working for the snooker gym and being a master coach is his business, so hes always on the front foot

Comment

Canada was settled by a bunch of dour Scots, mostly Calvinists and Presbyterians with absolutely NO sense of humour. My name is Scots and I remember my old man and grandfather had no humour at all. On my mother's side they were from Prussia and that's even worse.

But all that aside...can I take it I can say anything at all to you Poms and then just add a happy face and you'll take it as a joke?

Terry
                      Terry Davidson

Comment

@Terry,
                        May I ask a question.

U say that You are a good coach !!!! You know, that's interesting. How about some respect??? Because I read this section
                        to learn something. You come here and you insulted Vmax (someone who knows so much about snooker,, more than you).
                        The other guy (bomber), comes here and calls J6, a troll!
                        If you have problems that others knows better than you or disgree wiht you, is fine by me! (Something between you guys).
                        But my question is, how can I learn from your brother, if you do'nt follow the first rule of coaching (respect for others).
                        Can you answer that question??? I mean, you're the big man here,no doubt !! ,,, BUT NOT WISE.
                        You ask anyone (who does'nt agree with you), a video. Your friend bmb challenge evryone ( who does'nt agree with him), to play a match.
                        Do you know what chinesse says??? <<< do'nt start a match that you already have lost. >>>>
                        Or maybe you're just drunk, and we see tomorrow a better Terry.( And hopefully a normaal answer to my question).

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                          @Terry,
                          May I ask a question.

U say that You are a good coach !!!! You know, that's interesting. How about some respect??? Because I read this section
                          to learn something. You come here and you insulted Vmax (someone who knows so much about snooker,, more than you).
                          If you have problems that others knows better than you or disgree wiht you, is fine by me! (Something between you guys).
                          But my question is, how can I learn from your brother, if you do'nt follow the first rule of coaching (respect for others).
                          Can you answer that question??? I mean, you're the big man here,no doubt !! ,,, BUT NOT WISE.
                          You ask anyone (who does'nt agree with you), a video. Your friend bmb challenge evryone ( who does'nt agree with him), to play a match.
                          Do you know what chinesse says??? <<< do'nt start a match that you already have lost. >>>>
                          Or maybe you're just drunk, and we see tomorrow a better Terry.( And hopefully a normaal answer to my question).
                          Ramon:

How do you know vmax is a better coach than I am? I ask you to review this string and look especially at post #10 because to me that was really sarcastic (and there is no smiley/happy face there as vmax said.) I've never seen vmax play and he seems reluctant to post a video of himself but keeps telling me to post more videos when there are around 6hrs of me playing (and winning by the way) up on the CBSA website. In addition, I am not vmax's coach nor is he interested in taking coaching from anyone (he has said so in the past). I agree with vmax on some points he makes and disagree with others but that is the nature of a forum.

As for insulting him, here is what he posted first before I made my first comment

My sarcasm is well founded after watching you play in the Canadian Amateurs. You say your performance was bad due to the pressure of poor quality tables and refereeing. I on the other hand saw a poor technique and a very bad sportsman and ill tempered individual who folded with a p1ss easy blue for the match with a ready made excuse to lose tucked away in his pocket.
                          Take a look at yourself before giving advice to others because to be brutally honest I would expect to learn from someone who practises what he preaches and therefore I wouldn't go to you for coaching after that performance as I would expect that you were in fact applying what you teach and that it doesn't work.

He certainly didn't put his 'smiley face' on that post so who is being insulting to whom? Referring to your chinesse (sic) saying...who cast the first insult? Check the string. On another string I did jerk both vmax and J6 but that has nothing to do with this string. Please review this string and see who insulted who first.

I am a very good Master Coach and Examiner with a lot of experience. You have never had coaching from me so how can you form any opinion of what kind of person I am? Ramon...I don't even know who you are nor what your problem is with me. If you believe I'm a lousy coach then I guess I won't have to worry about scheduling an appointment for you.

My coaching seems to work for me and a lot of other people. Making the semi-finals of the Canadian Snooker Open Championships is no easy task but I am proud of that record as it's the best I've ever done in our national championships and then to be denigrated right in the middle of the tournament was a blow to my ego I'll admit. I don't remember the smiley face vmax put into one of his posts but I guess according to him you can say anything you want and use any kind of sarcasm you want but if you end it with a smiley face then it's just a joke. (Passive-aggressive behaviour I think it's called).

And I don't drink by the way and who is my brother? I don't have one. If you mean bomber he lives 5,000km to the west of me and we've never met except on here.

So to keep this in the goodwill phase, please tell me exactly what I would have to do to be 'a better Terry' in your eyes? I've been around for 69yrs with not a lot of complaints.

Terry
                          Last edited by Terry Davidson; 17 June 2014, 02:10 AM.
                          Terry Davidson

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                            @Terry,
                            May I ask a question.

I respect what you are saying and in hindsight, it's unprofessional and unfair of me to attack j6 back. But I felt I had no other choice at the time as I was acting in defense - to some comment I can't even remember now. So for that I apologize. However, I don't challenge EVERYONE to a match. That's the first time I had to defend myself and it was done in a very immature way. It's done and let's move on.

I have stated and will continue stating my own opinion as I see fit. There are no regulations on this forum except to avoid threats, and profanity. I'm a self proclaimed teacher based on my own experience and ability as I feel I have at least something to share with someone that's new to the game. I have shown plenty of younger players my own interpretation or helped them in some way at the club. I write a blog and I enjoy sharing my ideas. I'm not certified or regulated as there is NO such thing in snooker at the moment. I do have people that have asked me for help and I have freely shared whatever I can to help them within the limited capacity of emails, private messages, and video reviews. For the most part, students say they learned something. That's enough for me to keep sharing ideas and discovering more about this game.

One thing everyone should understand about this forum: It's FREE to read and PARTICIPATE. There are no rules about who can post comments and replies - except that threats and profanity are not welcome here. If you ask a question in the coaching section, expect to get differing points of view, and then be prepared to MAKE UP your own mind. Expect discourse and disagreement, and even occasionally, a few bruised egos.
                            Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
                            My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

O wait, I forgot to add a smiley face, so now everything I just said can be taken as light hearted and a joke right?

Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
                              My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Ramon:

How do you know vmax is a better coach than I am? I ask you to review this string and look especially at post #10 because to me that was really sarcastic (and there is no smiley/happy face there as vmax said.) I've never seen vmax play and he seems reluctant to post a video of himself but keeps telling me to post more videos when there are around 6hrs of me playing (and winning by the way) up on the CBSA website. In addition, I am not vmax's coach nor is he interested in taking coaching from anyone (he has said so in the past). I agree with vmax on some points he makes and disagree with others but that is the nature of a forum.

As for insulting him, here is what he posted first before I made my first comment

My sarcasm is well founded after watching you play in the Canadian Amateurs. You say your performance was bad due to the pressure of poor quality tables and refereeing. I on the other hand saw a poor technique and a very bad sportsman and ill tempered individual who folded with a p1ss easy blue for the match with a ready made excuse to lose tucked away in his pocket.
                                Take a look at yourself before giving advice to others because to be brutally honest I would expect to learn from someone who practises what he preaches and therefore I wouldn't go to you for coaching after that performance as I would expect that you were in fact applying what you teach and that it doesn't work.

He certainly didn't put his 'smiley face' on that post so who is being insulting to whom? Referring to your chinesse (sic) saying...who cast the first insult? Check the string. On another string I did jerk both vmax and J6 but that has nothing to do with this string. Please review this string and see who insulted who first.

I am a very good Master Coach and Examiner with a lot of experience. You have never had coaching from me so how can you form any opinion of what kind of person I am? Ramon...I don't even know who you are nor what your problem is with me. If you believe I'm a lousy coach then I guess I won't have to worry about scheduling an appointment for you.

My coaching seems to work for me and a lot of other people. Making the semi-finals of the Canadian Snooker Open Championships is no easy task but I am proud of that record as it's the best I've ever done in our national championships and then to be denigrated right in the middle of the tournament was a blow to my ego I'll admit. I don't remember the smiley face vmax put into one of his posts but I guess according to him you can say anything you want and use any kind of sarcasm you want but if you end it with a smiley face then it's just a joke. (Passive-aggressive behaviour I think it's called).

And I don't drink by the way and who is my brother? I don't have one. If you mean bomber he lives 5,000km to the west of me and we've never met except on here.

So to keep this in the goodwill phase, please tell me exactly what I would have to do to be 'a better Terry' in your eyes? I've been around for 69yrs with not a lot of complaints.

Terry

Your sarcasm is not appreciated. Is what you told him. Have you ever thought, maybe it's not sarcasm, but just his opinion??
                                Because that's the whole point. This is forum. Peapel say their opinion. Ever thought that maybe you're wrong. ???
                                Believe it or not, a lot of people here who respect you. included J6 and Vmax. Do you know how often j6 or Vmax have said good things about you?
                                They respect you more than I do. (This is my opinion, so please do not be upset).
                                You say you know a lot about snooker. I do'nt know about other members, but I expected much more from you. Do you know why?
                                Because you're not just a snooker coach but also 69 years old. experienced man.
                                Sometimes you have to doubt about your motivation, and even listen to others and learn from others, to be a good leader. I do'nt have to tell you this.
                                Because I see you three (vmax, j6, and you), as leaders and mentors.
                                I find that Vmax has much better view of snooker. And what you say?<<< why are you against me ??
                                please tell me exactly what I would have to do to be 'a better Terry "in your eyes? I've been around for 69yrs with not a lot of complaints. >>>
                                I believe you, you're 69yrs with not a lot of complaints. But you are also a human.
                                And not perfect. Neither do I.
                                I am not in a position to tell you what to do. But you can do me a favor if you want !!, actually 2 (as a coach) .1 - Do not be upset quickly, when someone disgree w you.
                                2 - as I said in my previous post, this is something between you guys. But try talking to Vmax (because these guys have a lot of respect for you) and do it in private. You can send him PM. (This way you talk about your disagreement as a coach and as a experienced man).
                                BTW, about your question, yes I know you. How?. I pm you when the time is right.
                                but first this one. please. .
                                and I apologize because I called you brother. (I mean it is always better than sister, but you're not happy, so I apologize .)

Comment

Working...
                                X