Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does it make sense to have your own balls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
    Yes, ......
    You are right
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
      Bringing your own cue ball isn't really gonna help...

Ah, as I type this, I have noticed that you have bought a used set. They will be better than a club set that's been mix and matched but not as good as a new set.

I play a lot and swap my set every couple of years... There is a noticeable decline in their playability after a while.
      I am seriously contemplating using a personal cue ball. Those at the clubs are mostly chipped and worn. Using a personal set of balls is a tad too much effort as I play in different clubs and simply don't play as often these days.

But why would you say it's not going to help? Is it because of the difference in their weight/size?

The way I see it, those house balls are likely all mixed-up and at least I won't be sighting down an ugly cue ball...
      When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

Hi All

Having recently chipped in with a pal and bought a set of TC (standard not the 1g) and having used them for the past few weeks I can honestly say they make a world of difference. The gap between them and rotten old club balls is a mile wide. I feel they are much more responsive and the action on the white ball is much more discernible/ pronnounced. We have been taking pains to brush, nap and iron the table we play on in our local Rileys as well. Additionally I think simple looks good /feels goood factor comes into it to a degree.

Cheers

David

Comment

Buy any balls go for the TC's rather then paying extra for the 1G

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but I thought it was an interesting idea and not one I'd considered before?

Do people still do this, is it worth doing?

Also I see they now do TCs, 3Gs & 1Gs, which is the best to get?

And any recommendations for a nice looking strong case?
            Last edited by Danger Mouse; 24 January 2016, 03:50 AM.
            GBL C8 1pc | 58" 18oz 9.5mm 29.9mm BP=17" | Ash Shaft + Burrwood, Lacewood, Ebony Splices | Buffalo Diamond Plus Tip

Comment

Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
              I know this is an old thread, but I thought it was an interesting idea and not one I'd considered before?

Do people still do this, is it worth doing?

Also I see they now do TCs, 3Gs & 1Gs, which is the best to get?

And any recommendations for a nice looking strong case?
              Deffo worth buying if you are just using cheap lightweight club balls
              Unless you are a pro playing on pro condition table just buy the normal TC's, never heard of these 3G's till you mentioned them, surely the normal one's are 3G too ?? as that is in the rules !!!
              case here looks decent http://www.craftsmancues.com/acatalo...ker_balls.html

Comment

Looks like 3Gs are TCs with a case.
                This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                  Looks like 3Gs are TCs with a case.
                  Yeah that's how i read it

Comment

the WPBSA rules state a maximum 3g set weight range so the standard Aramith TCs set match that requirement.
                    Aramith now produce the higher tolerance sets with only 1g set weight range for the pro tournaments.
                    The TCs usually come in the blue cardboard box and the 1g TCs come in the ali case.
                    But there could be special sale sets
                    That advert looks like they have taken a normal set of TCs and put them in a carry case instead of the cardboard box and charge more
                    Last edited by DeanH; 24 January 2016, 12:31 PM.
                    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Think you may be right, it's just bad advertising that initially led me to think there were 3 options?

3G with the case looks nice, but would love the 1Gs with the decent case as heard the supplied one isn't much cop?

Quick question, it says the 3Gs have been the standard for the last 15yrs, what would I have been using on a match table approx 24yrs ago? (We were given a different set of balls to the usual club rubbish when hiring the match table?)
                      GBL C8 1pc | 58" 18oz 9.5mm 29.9mm BP=17" | Ash Shaft + Burrwood, Lacewood, Ebony Splices | Buffalo Diamond Plus Tip

Comment

not sure when WPBSA set the weight range but it has been around for many years
                        so that long ago you could have been using aramith phenolic or super crystalate balls
                        or could have been BCE balls

edit - appears the weight range was set around the 1980s
                        Last edited by DeanH; 24 January 2016, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Ah right, thanks.

It came in a black box, but don't suppose that matters lol

Think I'm going to seriously consider getting some balls, oooeerr this thread reminded me of the awful condition of the standard club supplied ones many years ago, and considering the cost we all seem to spend on cues it's not that much in cost

Comment

the 3g set in the case looks a strong case
                            the case alone is £40+ as seen in the advert below the ball and case combo

as you say people have said the 1g ali case is not very good

I have a set of TCs 3g in a great Peradon case and you can feel the difference to the club balls
                            Last edited by DeanH; 24 January 2016, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Yeah seen that Peradon case, looks really nice too

Would you say the 3Gs are enough or now that we have the option to buy the 1Gs it'd be silly not to get them instead?

Comment

really I think no one can definitively feel the difference between a 3g and a 1g

and Yes the 3g sets are great

Comment

Working...
                                X