Impossible cut or not - try it out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is an old one... I've mentioned it a few times on the forum.

Can be done... no great skill involved... more luck than judgement.

It's bags on check on the white and smash the *******...

I actually did it on my very first attempt ever... but the next time I did it was on my two hundredthish

Comment

It's easier on the black spot than on the cushion too...

Not sure who suggested it had to be on the cush...

Sorry my friend but that's not the case x

Comment

Think it is.

In the spirit of this question:
        Hitting the cushion first and cutting the black in.

If you do it by putting the black on the cushion, math says, you have to cut the black at 15 degrees from perpendicular. (On at 7 degrees and off at 15 degrees, that gives enough momentum in the black to travel to the pocket.)
        If you put the black on the spot and cut it in, from off the black cushion its a cut of around 28 degrees from perpendicular. Impossible. You would have to go onto the cushion at over 20 degrees and off the cushion at around 28 degrees.
        Firstly, although mathematically possible. Its impossible to generate that amount of side and secondly its impossible to hit the ball that hard to generate the momentum to get the black to the pocket.

So impossible.

But as you state you can cut the Black off its spot from the yellow spot. The spirit of the question was off the black cushion with side.
        No doubt you'll try and prove me wrong. Give it a go off the spot...

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
          It's easier on the black spot than on the cushion too...

Not sure who suggested it had to be on the cush...

Sorry my friend but that's not the case x
          I did. Because I wrote the thread and the question.

Comment

Originally Posted by jigsaw333 View Post
            Think it is.

In the spirit of this question:
            Hitting the cushion first and cutting the black in.

If you do it by putting the black on the cushion, math says, you have to cut the black at 15 degrees from perpendicular. (On at 7 degrees and off at 15 degrees, that gives enough momentum in the black to travel to the pocket.)
            If you put the black on the spot and cut it in, from off the black cushion its a cut of around 28 degrees from perpendicular. Impossible. You would have to go onto the cushion at over 20 degrees and off the cushion at around 28 degrees.
            Firstly, although mathematically possible. Its impossible to generate that amount of side and secondly its impossible to hit the ball that hard to generate the momentum to get the black to the pocket.

So impossible.

But as you state you can cut the Black off its spot from the yellow spot. The spirit of the question was off the black cushion with side.
            No doubt you'll try and prove me wrong. Give it a go off the spot...
            The black off it's spot and the cue ball on the yellow/green spot, played with no side on the ball is a true test of sighting and cueing. You need a dead straight cue action to complete this shot and superb technique. I have some video of doing this exercise. The black can also be potted from the brown spot but the white requires a terrific amount of pace.

Comment

I've seen it done many times...

white on yellow spot
              black off the spot cut back into the black pocket on the yellow side...

These threads irritate the **** out of me...

Why pose a question and then deny the answer when it's presented?

Comment

It's not a test of cueing either... it's about 50/50 cueing/luck

Smash it thin with check side... The theory is simple

Smash it enough times and you'll make the cut before long...

Comment

Black off spot.jpgBlack off cushion.jpg

This thread irritates you because you're wrong.

Do a little maths and work it out for yourself

Comment

Irritates me because I've played both shots personally...

Wakers was trying to do the black on the cush, white on the brown just last week after Cohly (a young pup at the club) pulled it off...

The black off the spot with the white on the yellow/green reverse cut isn't as difficult as the one on the cushion...

If you are closed to the possibility of a shot I have seen done many times then I guess we are at a 'stalemate' with our discussion...

I withdraw, knowing 100% I am right... by all means, you do the math

ciao
                    Jack x

Comment

Originally Posted by jigsaw333 View Post
                      [ATTACH]17628[/ATTACH][ATTACH]17629[/ATTACH]

This thread irritates you because you're wrong.

Do a little maths and work it out for yourself
                      Well said. The black on the cushion is pottable from the yellow spot, without using side. Not easy I'll grant you, in fact damned hard but potable.

The reason (and anyone with an understanding of basic geometry will understand) is that the contact angle between cue ball and black is greater than 90 degrees. Anything at 90 degrees + is potable. The contact angle from the brown spot would be less than 90 degrees so side would be necessary.

Comment

post #9 on this thread.

Terry says exactly what I'm saying

Is he wrong too? :/

Comment

No stalemate Jack.
                          You haven't read the question correctly or given a valid argument.
                          Like most of the posts you get involved in, you twist the question toy your liking and then S**T all over it.
                          If that's all you can do you better get the 'another one bites the dust video out'

Comment

Probably not read it properly...

Coz the shots I have explained are possible... No argument necesary.

on my phone app, not the laptop. Info does get distorted admittedly
                            Last edited by pottr; 22 February 2015, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Another one bites the dust? :/

please explain... I don't understand what you mean?

Comment

Yeah Terry misread . After someone posted that it was simpler off the black.
                                He didn't respond by pursuing the questioner with negative comments, like you have to do to most people here.

I look forward to the video of you cutting the black in off the cushion. When the black is on its spot. And the white on the yellow spot.

At that point. You can win what you have turned into an argument.
                                But you can't post it because IT'S IMPOSSIBLE.

Comment

Working...
                                X