Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will potting angles change with the use of stun, follow or screw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Big Splash! View Post
    Oh god, another ruined thread. Jesus, the OP asks if potting angles change. The answer as Big Shat has pointed out, is a tiny bit. I can't remember if we have to hit them thicker or thinner when applying stun, compared to top/bottom but I don't think about this much at the table tbh. Maybe someone can inform me. This would actually make the thread useful.

The key thing is to use angel ash or bog maple or olde ash from ships; the ball will deviate less on contact with a purer hit :biggrin-new:
    LOL !! :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
      You get a POTY nomination for saying pros practice? Who knew?
      Yawn, yawn, your boring mate, get back to your nine ball forum.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
        The trouble is that many players do not realize that Center ball striking and doing that consistently, is not easy . they can see the center which is the easy part . hitting that point and cueing stright , is the hard part . ( sumthing Itsnoteasy already mentioned in one of his post i believe ? )

Striking the center of CB up and down at the same vertical line as center, IS much more difficult. most of the time this will end up in puting sum unwanted side in CB.
        Other problem is, playing this kind of shots requires a total smooth and effortless cue action. Do'nt strike the ball well, and you do push the CB instead of striking it. This could be end up in a bad contact between CB and OB and push the OB off his path. imo.
        You make a very good point there Ramon, if we looked at perfect centre on a ball, I bet halrdly anyone hits it perfectly with any great regularity, it just shows that there is a degree of tolerance in a shot, as Pottr put it so well in his excellent video, the pockets bigger than the ball, so we don't have to perfect in everything we do.
        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• Originally Posted by Ethanat View Post
          Hi all, for shots that are not straight, will the use of stun, screw or follow alter the required potting angle?

For example when potting a half ball blue with stun, do I have to aim a bit thinner? I was practicing today and kept missing it thick.
          Surely if you kept on missing thick your brain should have kicked in and worked out to hit it thin. Missing is great as you can actually learn from the shot straight away. Stay down on shots and work out why you missed. Keep the game simple. Looking at your profile page your high break is 64 so I'm shocked your struggling on a half ball blue.

Comment

• Originally Posted by markz View Post
            Surely if you kept on missing thick your brain should have kicked in and worked out to hit it thin. Missing is great as you can actually learn from the shot straight away. Stay down on shots and work out why you missed. Keep the game simple. Looking at your profile page your high break is 64 so I'm shocked your struggling on a half ball blue.
            Hi Markz

This was what happened during practice. I marked the original white ball position for a half ball blue. Potted it with plain ball repeatedly. But when i play with stun I always miss it thick. I swear I was aiming at the same point on the blue.

Now of course I can aim to hit it thinner and pot it. But that would mean changing the line of aim for the exact same shot isn't it.

My high break is now 70+ but I still feel my foundation is not there. Maybe it's like what Ramon suggested, I am not cueing straight when playing stun.

Comment

• Will potting angles change with the use of stun, follow or screw?

It will be exactly that.

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                You make a very good point there Ramon, if we looked at perfect centre on a ball, I bet halrdly anyone hits it perfectly with any great regularity, it just shows that there is a degree of tolerance in a shot, as Pottr put it so well in his excellent video, the pockets bigger than the ball, so we don't have to perfect in everything we do.
                I asked a friend of mine once ,, , which shot you prefer to deal with . playing an stright SCRW backshot with No Angle. Or playing the same shot with a small angle?
                << I perfer the angel shot of crs cuz playin an stright shot is not easy . A bit of error with cueing , unwanted Side , and u gonna miss the pott. >>
                I bet if you ask snooker players , lots of them would give you the same answer .
                It's funny . They think they can put unwanted Side in CB with a stright shot , But when it comes to play the shot with angle ? they do'nt even think about that part .
                while the same error which may cause the miss with an stright shot can be the reason of the miss with an angel shot as well.
                most of the players are not aware of this fact once they playin an angel shot with No side spin.
                I do believe in coaching and I also do believe in science. They can help you to find out what the problem is in order to fix it.
                But at the end of day, your brain is the one who's gonna have to fgr it out for you. aime abit thicker Or thinner does'nt realy matter. As long as you can play and you are comfortable with that small adjusments . That's all what matters. once you had coaching and you find out what the problem is , the rest of it would be dependent on practice. hours of practice until those adjusments turn in your second nature.

Anyway , I'm gonna take off, have to work. work on Sunday. can you believe it ?? what kind of life is this?

Cheers bud ,,
                Last edited by Ramon; 11 December 2016, 09:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                  It will be exactly that.
                  I agree with this.

It's so easy to cue straight, but it's also really easy to not cue straight. A little bit of tension or movement in your cue hand and it's all gone south, or west or east. If you're a little unsure of a shot it goes wrong so much easier. It's a mental thing and unfortunately I don't have a solution for it. Maybe try cueing a little slower and build up the speed, find a happy medium that works for you.

Comment

I asked a friend of mine once ,, , which shot you prefer to deal with . playing an stright SCRW backshot with No Angel. Or playing the same shot with a small angle?
                    << I perfer the angel shot of crs cuz playin an stright shot is not easy . A bit of error with cueing , unwanted Side , and u gonna miss the pott. >>
                    I bet if you ask snooker players , lots of them would give you the same answer .
                    It's funny . They think they can put unwanted Side in CB with a stright shot , But when it comes to play the shot with angel ? they do'nt even think about that part .
                    while the same error which may cause the miss with an stright shot can be the reason of the miss with an angel shot as well.
                    most of the players are not aware of this fact once they playin an angel shot with No side spin.
                    I do believe in coaching and I also do believe in science. They can help you to find out what the problem is in order to fix it.
                    But at the end of day, your brain is the one who's gonna have to fgr it out for you. aime abit thicker Or thinner does'nt realy matter. As long as you can play and you are comfortable with that small adjusments . That's all what matters. once you had coaching and you find out what the problem is , the rest of it would be dependent on practice. hours of practice until those adjusments turn in your second nature.

Anyway , I'm gonna take off, have to work. work on Sunday. can you believe it ?? what kind of life is this?

Cheers bud ,,
                    Every snooker pro wants to work on a Sunday

Comment

Lol. Are you Dr Dave's retarded twin brother?

You simply don't understand what happens when balls collide. It's unfortunate but whatchgunnado?

And lol at getting called out by a 30 break wonder!
                      And who would that be biggie ?

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                        And who would that be biggie ?
                        Someone who simply doesn't understand what happens when balls collide...

Comment

I asked a friend of mine once ,, , which shot you prefer to deal with . playing an stright SCRW backshot with No Angel. Or playing the same shot with a small angle?
                          It's funny . They think they can put unwanted Side in CB with a stright shot , But when it comes to play the shot with angel ? they do'nt even think about that part .

Cheers bud ,,
                          Are you a vicar Ramon?
                          Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                          Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                          Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

• Originally Posted by Ethanat View Post
                            Hi all, for shots that are not straight, will the use of stun, screw or follow alter the required potting angle?

For example when potting a half ball blue with stun, do I have to aim a bit thinner? I was practicing today and kept missing it thick.
                            Hi, Ethanat. After fourteen pages of virtual clatter, several of the last few posts look like they are finally getting to the subject matter of helping you with the answer you seek. We may be devolving into chaos again so let's do something useful before that happens. Myself, I am mediocre as a player at best; I have little authority behind my words, but I have been at it a long time so I have seen a few things. I mainly stick to proper knowledge and application of the rules which is what I do best. But it sounds like you are looking for varied opinions so you can seek your own path so I will throw my hat in as well.

I have noticed an effect that I have never seen in print or video instruction. I have never known anyone to mention it, but I know it exists because I see it all the time. It may or may not apply to the problem you are seeing so let me describe...

I see exactly the same thing as you in my practice except that I only see it when the White is playing a half ball of the Blue (or any angle of course) in a middle pocket from the Black side of the table. I do NOT see the same effect when the White is played from the Baulk side. If you see the same problem from either side of the table, then this is not your issue.

If White is played from the Black side at an angle across the nap on any sort of shot using reverse spin (be it stun or draw) and most especially if it is a soft shot so the spin will be dragged off the cue ball as it travels to the object ball. As the spin is dragged off, it will cause the White to curve in its trajectory toward the side cushion and therefore, it will contact the object ball thick. Every time. So the only way to compensate is either: 1) play very firm so the cue ball slides and does not lose much of its back spin before contact, or 2) aim a little on the thinnish side when playing this type of shot.

It's got nothing to do with the potting angle. It has got to do with the path of the cue ball and therefore the contact angle. With that said, I agree with many previous posters that the problem is usually caused by poor cueing action. We are not robots, so very often, we do not hit the cue ball exactly where and how we wanted and expected. So what I said above is with the assumption that the cue ball was in fact struck perfectly along the intended aim line and yet still missed the pot thick.

This effect won't happen when playing from the Baulk side because with White traveling the same direction as the nap, there will not be nearly so much of the back spin removed as it travels toward contact with the object ball.

Again, if you see the same thing from both sides, then this opinion does not apply. Good luck in your quest.
                            Last edited by acesinc; 11 December 2016, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Lol. Are you Dr Dave's retarded twin brother?

You simply don't understand what happens when balls collide. It's unfortunate but whatchgunnado?

And lol at getting called out by a 30 break wonder!
                              Last time he sank a long red the year had a 1 on the front.

Comment

• Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                                Every snooker pro wants to work on a Sunday
                                Clinging onto someone’s lips ?? no harm with that.

Comment

Working...
                                X