Allowing for side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
    When I first saw this I thought it looked ok, but the more I look at it, is the blue ball checking off the cushion? I've gone all cock eyed watching videos about balls with side I can hardly see, I will let the younger crowd with decent eyes decide.
    https://youtu.be/xehWEG6ofac
    I should add if it isn't it bloody well should be if side is transferred lol.
    But he's not playing with any side?

Comment

• Originally Posted by Catch 22 View Post
      He was showing me nursery cannons away from the cushion ...it was just a demonstration . But there is definetly something in it because having the three balls in the same position and playing the cannons with left or right side made a big difference on how the object balls moved .

Was like voodoo
      Take a look at this little video, again from Mr. Stark who believes that side is transmitted to the object ball, I like what he says about the modern PR ball being softer and therefore having more friction, which is why they kick so much, but my agreement with him ends there.
      The demonstration about transmitted side is once again with a ball on the cushion, meaning the miniscule amount detected by Dr. Dave on his super slo mo will be magnified by a prolonged contact. He doesn't offset his aim to allow for the initial deflection and swerve of the cue ball, and if you can manage to freeze the picture at the moment of contact (it's tricky but I managed it) it's clear it's not exactly a perfect full ball contact and strangely even though he hasn't offset his address to allow for the initial deflection you would think that the contact would be the opposite side of the side he uses, but the actual contact point is away from the centre of the object ball on the same as the side put on the cue ball which means that the cue ball has deflected to the opposite side, which it surely must do, and swerved back a tiny amount even over this short distance at such a gentle pace.

At a very gentle pace like this the cue ball can swerve a tiny amount even over the length of a couple of rolls, try it for yourself by playing a couple of gentle shots with side and watch the cue ball behave exactly the same as it does with the raised butt swerve shot video I posted earlier, it deflects and swerves very soon after the strike before going straight and therefore contacts the object ball while approaching from a different direction making it look like the object ball has kicked off at a different angle..

At such a gentle pace as this it's not really useful for anything as the ball will be struck at below pocket weight, little bit harder and it is useful for potting a partially blocked object ball.

here's the sreenshot

Last edited by vmax4steve; 5 March 2017, 11:37 AM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
        Take a look at this little video, again from Mr. Stark who believes that side is transmitted to the object ball, I like what he says about the modern PR ball being softer and therefore having more friction, which is why they kick so much, but my agreement with him ends there.
        The demonstration about transmitted side is once again with a ball on the cushion, meaning the miniscule amount detected by Dr. Dave on his super slo mo will be magnified by a prolonged contact. He doesn't offset his aim to allow for the initial deflection and swerve of the cue ball, and if you can manage to freeze the picture at the moment of contact (it's tricky but I managed it) it's clear it's not exactly a perfect full ball contact and strangely even though he hasn't offset his address to allow for the initial deflection you would think that the contact would be the opposite side of the side he uses, but the actual contact point is away from the centre of the object ball on the same as the side put on the cue ball which means that the cue ball has deflected to the opposite side, which it surely must do, and swerved back a tiny amount even over this short distance at such a gentle pace.

At a very gentle pace like this the cue ball can swerve a tiny amount even over the length of a couple of rolls, try it for yourself by playing a couple of gentle shots with side and watch the cue ball behave exactly the same as it does with the raised butt swerve shot video I posted earlier, it deflects and swerves very soon after the strike before going straight and therefore contacts the object ball while approaching from a different direction making it look like the object ball has kicked off at a different angle..

At such a gentle pace as this it's not really useful for anything as the ball will be struck at below pocket weight, little bit harder and it is useful for potting a partially blocked object ball.

here's the sreenshot

[ATTACH]18695[/ATTACH]
        So, it's all a big conspiracy. Wow, you're really onto something here, you could make a name for yourself. All these millions of players who believe something one person says isn't true will be ever so grateful and that. If it wasn't for you pesky kids Barry stark and Dr Dave woulda gotten away with it.

Hurry up, i want you to rewrite the laws of physics so i can go back to playing safe rather than make balls with SIT.

Comment

• Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
          But he's not playing with any side?
          What do you reckon, just loads of bottom? It looked like his tip was off centre to me, but it could easily be the camera angle, it can make things look different I will try this shot today, obviously it will take me many many goes as I'm not Ants McGill lol, but I will try and play it the same pace with centre bottom and if it doesn't hold its line I will put some side on it to see if it helps. He has a much finer cloth on his table I'm guessing so it will be different but there's not much I can do about that.
          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

When I first saw this I thought it looked ok, but the more I look at it, is the blue ball checking off the cushion? I've gone all cock eyed watching videos about balls with side I can hardly see, I will let the younger crowd with decent eyes decide.
            https://youtu.be/xehWEG6ofac
            I should add if it isn't it bloody well should be if side is transferred lol.
            Bottom on the CB transfers to top spin the OB. That top spin reverses on contact with the cushion, checking it slightly, which is why comes back a little straighter.

That would be my guess. This would be a good one to ask Dr Dave. It'll be complicated a little by distance, as spin wears off when the ball travels far. Again, this sort of thing is covered in excruciating detail on his site. No need to know any of this imo.

Comment

What do you reckon, just loads of bottom? It looked like his tip was off centre to me, but it could easily be the camera angle, it can make things look different I will try this shot today, obviously it will take me many many goes as I'm not Ants McGill lol, but I will try and play it the same pace with centre bottom and if it doesn't hold its line I will put some side on it to see if it helps. He has a much finer cloth on his table I'm guessing so it will be different but there's not much I can do about that.

Stick some crisps on it mate.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
                Stick some crisps on it mate.
                Lol, for me post of the year, ya daft bugger

Comment

If you read the comment below his video not only was he trying to go in off BUT the main idea was to do it at a pace that the blue didn't come back up past it's spot !

Comment

• Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                    If you read the comment below his video not only was he trying to go in off BUT the main idea was to do it at a pace that the blue didn't come back up past it's spot !
                    I only see someone asking about the cloth, where are you seeing that?

Comment

I only see someone asking about the cloth, where are you seeing that?
                      Below the video, before the comments start, he says "White on yellow or green spot, screw the white off the blue and into the middle but stop the blue from coming back up above its spot. This is as close as I got after tons of attempts. Try it!"

Comment

• That's why I said he wasn't playing with side, you would think he just wants to be as low as possible on the cueball to play that shot.

Comment

• Well I tried it and tried it, potting the white isn't even an issue, you can put anything you want on it basically as long as it's mixed with screw and you can pot it ,but by god I couldn't get anywhere near stopping the blue ball near its spot. I moved the white along the baulkline trying different thickness of shot , i tried loads of side to see if I could somehow make the cue ball go faster and slow the blue ball down, but nope I think in loads of tries I stopped it around the baulk line once or twice but they were flukes as I couldn't replicate any type of consistency. If I concentrated on stopping the blue the white wouldn't get within six inches of the pocket and if I potted the white the blue came right up the table ,I had to give in, just couldn't get anywhere near it.

Comment

Well I tried it and tried it, potting the white isn't even an issue, you can put anything you want on it basically as long as it's mixed with screw and you can pot it ,but by god I couldn't get anywhere near stopping the blue ball near its spot. I moved the white along the baulkline trying different thickness of shot , i tried loads of side to see if I could somehow make the cue ball go faster and slow the blue ball down, but nope I think in loads of tries I stopped it around the baulk line once or twice but they were flukes as I couldn't replicate any type of consistency. If I concentrated on stopping the blue the white wouldn't get within six inches of the pocket and if I potted the white the blue came right up the table ,I had to give in, just couldn't get anywhere near it.
                            Probably why he calls it the hardest shot in snooker any idea what good practising it is?

Comment

• Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                              Probably why he calls it the hardest shot in snooker any idea what good practising it is?
                              Builds up your frustration so you don't cue right for the next hour
                              I was using club balls, I'm going to take my TCs in next time and try it again ,although it will probably be harder as when they start to roll they forget to stop.

Comment

I am with Jonny on this, looks like well controlled soft screw to me, as much as he can muster, no side required.

Itsnoteasy, check your inbox...I think its full and needs some space opened up.

Comment

Working...
                                X