No announcement yet.

Allowing for side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think the angle is really on to finish that side of the black and be in perfect position, you'd be better off playing with a bit of left hand side and playing a full ball cannon on the red the opposite side of the black, if you miss it you're still on the black anyway.

Comment

Originally Posted by Smeeagain View Post
      Id be really interested to know how you created the snooker table image?
      A lot of tapping about in a computer game called Virtual Pool 4, until I got the balls close to how I needed them to illustrate my question. I then hit Print Screen on my keyboard and pasted the image into a photo editing program and saved the file.

MrRottweiler, your guess is as good as mine. Luckily that location is just one of many, so I don't have to stare at it all the time.
      Last edited by Billy; 25 February 2017, 12:37 AM.
      "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

It looks to me like Big Shot got it exactly wrong (50/50 chance here) and vmax got it exactly correct. Since you want to apply right-hand side that will push the cueball to the left and you would cut the red thinner than you intended unless you compensated for that by aiming very slightly thick on this particular pot,

Side is a wonderful thing to help wi\th positioning the cueball but the best advice I can give is to practice with it as much as you can because only experience will teach you the ins and outs. There is no one simple answer because various thing will effectg the amount of side and (let's call it) aim-off to apply to any shot. There's first of all distance between the 2 balls, thickness and nap of the cloth, weight of the cueball, how your own tip plays and also how you own cue plays. All of these factors will change the amount of aim-off for any shot with side-spin.
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

there is a slightly easier way to play this shot as the balls are close, aim to pot it middle ball then move the tip to the right using your back hand try it and see

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
            Since you want to apply right-hand side that will push the cueball to the left and you would cut the red thinner than you intended unless you compensated for that by aiming very slightly thick on this particular pot
            This makes sense, but perhaps I need to stress that I don't play the game in real life and the question only applies to playing this simulation. It's a very accurate simulation when all's said and done, so any side on the cueball will simulate all the various forces and physics that apply.
            "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

Originally Posted by Billy View Post
              This makes sense, but perhaps I need to stress that I don't play the game in real life and the question only applies to playing this simulation. It's a very accurate simulation when all's said and done, so any side on the cueball will simulate all the various forces and physics that apply.
              Is there no practice mode in this game?

Comment

It looks to me like Big Shot got it exactly wrong (50/50 chance here) and vmax got it exactly correct.
                Got it from Ray Reardon's book and it hasn't let me down yet. Saw a passage from Eddie Charlton's book on this site a few years ago and he wrote the opposite, no wonder he couldn't play with side and argued against its use. Never was a world champion was Eddie, wonder why

Billy

does your computer game recognise your virtual cue/tip/ferrule's deflection as well ?

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                  Billy

does your computer game recognise your virtual cue/tip/ferrule's deflection as well ?
                  I very much doubt it. It's not quite that anal

Comment

It looks to me like Big Shot got it exactly wrong (50/50 chance here) and vmax got it exactly correct. Since you want to apply right-hand side that will push the cueball to the left and you would cut the red thinner than you intended unless you compensated for that by aiming very slightly thick on this particular pot,

Side is a wonderful thing to help wi\th positioning the cueball but the best advice I can give is to practice with it as much as you can because only experience will teach you the ins and outs. There is no one simple answer because various thing will effectg the amount of side and (let's call it) aim-off to apply to any shot. There's first of all distance between the 2 balls, thickness and nap of the cloth, weight of the cueball, how your own tip plays and also how you own cue plays. All of these factors will change the amount of aim-off for any shot with side-spin.
                    Looks to me like the snooker world is still 100% clueless when it comes to simple physics. And the less said about what vmax thinks, the better.

Comment

The physics dictate thicker rather than thinner, assuming all other factors (cue ball deflection, nap, weight of cloth etc) are not a concern.

Comment

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
                        No, slightly thinner, at least in theory. Can't see it making much difference if you're only using a little side and you'll probably want to pay more attention to deflection anyway.

Practise it and let the sub conscious decide.
                        Looks to me like the snooker world is still 100% clueless when it comes to simple physics. And the less said about what vmax thinks, the better.
                        The physics dictate thicker rather than thinner, assuming all other factors (cue ball deflection, nap, weight of cloth etc) are not a concern.
                        Well you have lost me here ! seems you have given both options ??

Comment

I love threads about side

Comment

I love threads about Mr Big Shot

Comment

A lot of tapping about in a computer game called Virtual Pool 4, until I got the balls close to how I needed them to illustrate my question.
                              Then Im not sure anyone on here can trul answer your question. We would have no idea how accurate the game mimics real life and what factors and influence they took into consideration

Smee

Comment

Hi Billy. I too do not play real tables, but have played at VP4 for a few months. If you only play the online version, you are at a disadvantage. If you were to purchase the offline game as well, you would have the ability to UNDO your shot and play it again and again. (As well as other good "training aids"...)

The short answer to your question (for VP4, not necessarily real table) is this: If you hit the shot very softly with right side, the white would tend to swerve to the right, making you miss to the left, so to compensate you would aim a bit thinner. If you were to hit with lots of pace (which you would not do in this situation), then the white would deflect (squirt) to the left before any swerve took effect, causing you to miss to the right, so to compensate you would aim thicker.

The distance from white to red is critical, as is the pace of your shot. If you have (or purchase) the home (offline) version of this game, and play the shot 50 times, you will see what I mean. It's not easy!

PS, my name there is Vanwinkle. I only play snooker there. Look for me, let's play a few!

Comment

Working...
                                X