Allowing for side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allowing for side

This image was quite difficult to set up, so bare in mind it's not quite perfect.

However, if I was to take this red to right corner, leaving me on the black, I may want to play it with a trace of right-hand side to avoid leaving myself too close to said black.

My question is this. In order to allow for the side transferring to the red, would I need to play it thicker or thinner than if plain ball?

I realise that with just a trace of side I could probably afford to play it as plain ball and it would still drop, but let's take it as a given that side will be transferred. Do I play it thicker or thinner?

"Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

A small amount of side will be transferred (and reversed), but the main thing to account for is the "throw" of the cue ball. This will got send the cue ball off the opposite way to the side you have applied. On a shot with a larger distance between cue ball and object ball you will even see a bit of swerve as the spin takes effect on the cloth, which goes the opposite way of the throw. The amount of throw and swerve you'll see depends on the pace of the shot, the distance between the balls, the cloth speed and nap, and the cue and cue tip.

Lots of variables - it's something you get a "feel" for after practicing a lot.

I hope that info was accurate as I'm a relative noob compared to some of the seasoned veterans here - please correct me if I'm wrong!

Comment

Thank you, bolty, but I'm afraid I'm none the wiser. Would I play the red thicker or thinner to allow for the side?

If you're saying the cue ball would throw to the left because of the right-hand side, then I'm guessing I'd need to aim a tad on the thick side, but it's only a guess.
      "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

I think the only way to know for sure is to set the shot up and see what happens. It could push out then pull back in before it makes contact and you won't need to adjust at all.

Comment

if you set up the shot, make sure that you put some small markers on the baize so that you can replay the shot 100% exactly time after time after time. You could then also mark on the cloth where each amount of left hand side, right hand side, thinner, thicker etc etc took the ball

Comment

Originally Posted by Billy View Post
            Thank you, bolty, but I'm afraid I'm none the wiser. Would I play the red thicker or thinner to allow for the side?

If you're saying the cue ball would throw to the left because of the right-hand side, then I'm guessing I'd need to aim a tad on the thick side, but it's only a guess.

No, slightly thinner, at least in theory. Can't see it making much difference if you're only using a little side and you'll probably want to pay more attention to deflection anyway.

Practise it and let the sub conscious decide.

Comment

I think it depends how you line up the shot and playing style because you could play with check side quarter ball or running side half ball and I'm pretty sure both should leave the white coming up just to the right of the red leaving the black on. Playing with running side and a bit of pace could swing the cueball in to that red moving it away and leaving the black on.

What's that gadget on that little shelf? It looks like a pint cover and I could have done with one of them when I used to plat at a club that had a cockroach problem.
              Last edited by MrRottweiler; 24 February 2017, 07:17 PM.
              www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
                No, slightly thinner, at least in theory.
                I don't think I made myself very clear given the over-complicated answers, but this is what I was looking for; a simple 'thicker' or 'thinner' answer, in theory.

Having said that, can you please explain why you say I'd need to play it thinner? Bolty says side would 'throw' the cueball in the opposite direction, so (in theory) isn't it going to be moving to the thin side of the red anyway? Surely if I aim thin, and then the cue ball throws that way too, it will strike it TOO thin?? Or does the transferred side counter that?

And I'm not sure if some of you think the screenshot is real, but it's from a computer game (Virtual Pool 4).
                Last edited by Billy; 24 February 2017, 07:29 PM.

Comment

With the balls closer together like that and hitting it thin then I think you would need to compensate for that and hit it thicker. It's hard not being near a table to try it out.

I could tell it was a computer game from the textures of the walls and the fact there are no burn marks or stains on the carpet
                  www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

I don't think I made myself very clear given the over-complicated answers, but this is what I was looking for; a simple 'thicker' or 'thinner' answer, in theory.

Having said that, can you please explain why you say I'd need to play it thinner? Bolty says side would 'throw' the cueball in the opposite direction, so (in theory) isn't it going to be moving to the thin side of the red anyway? Surely if I aim thin, and then the cue ball throws that way too, it will strike it TOO thin?? Or does the transferred side counter that?

And I'm not sure if some of you think the screenshot is real, but it's from a computer game (Virtual Pool 4).
                    I think you made yourself perfectly clear, it's just not as simple as aim thicker or thinner. Shape the path of the cueball in your mind and hope you get it right is as simple as it gets.

Comment

So I'm still no nearer knowing.

I know there are so many factors to consider, but this is why I set up the screenshot and explained the shot, so that people would have an idea of how hard I would be playing the shot, how much side I would need, etc etc.

I just assumed (maybe wrongly) that science and physics would mean there was a hard answer with no grey areas.

Comment

This image was quite difficult to set up, so bare in mind it's not quite perfect.

However, if I was to take this red to right corner, leaving me on the black, I may want to play it with a trace of right-hand side to avoid leaving myself too close to said black.

My question is this. In order to allow for the side transferring to the red, would I need to play it thicker or thinner than if plain ball?

I realise that with just a trace of side I could probably afford to play it as plain ball and it would still drop, but let's take it as a given that side will be transferred. Do I play it thicker or thinner?

For the strength of shot you need aim near jaw for right hand side because the spin will be against the nap and the cue ball will arc along the cloth only a very small amount, if at all over that distance, so you only need to allow for the initial deflection of the cue ball which will be to the left.

For left hand side also aim near jaw as the spin will be with the nap so the cue ball will arc along the cloth much more after it's initial deflection to the right.

A rule of thumb is always aim thicker to begin with and as the strength of shot and/or distance increases suck it and see.

Comment

@vmax4steve

So aim slightly thick when playing with side, regardless of what side you're playing? Okay.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

Id be really interested to know how you created the snooker table image?

Comment

Originally Posted by Smeeagain View Post
                              Id be really interested to know how you created the snooker table image?
                              And also what is under that Fez/Thimble shaped object? Whatever it is it's going to be very annoying for people who want to lean against the wall. I would dismantle that shelf.
                              www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

Working...
                              X