Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• relationship between line of aim and dominant eye

Hello guys!
    i have been offline for quite a long time and now its the time to fix it , because i always thought practice will fix it

my problem is that i lineup correctly while standing, everything looks linedup. when i get down i am offline, it happens 60% of the time, no matter how many times i get up , same thing happens

i do not have alignment problem. i put 2 chalks above the cushion @ baulk line and when my cue is on the baulk line while aiming @ brown spot, the cue is right in the middle of the 2 chalks. the other test i did was i aimed blue in the centre pocket from middle pocket, and the butt of the cue is right in the middle of the pocket

i line up everything correct, but as soon as i am in address position i am offline. i tried to aim without touching the cue to my chin, the gap between chin and cue is around 5 inches and i can see that i no longer am offline. but as soon as the chin makes contact with the cue 60% of the time or shots i am offline when in address position.

another example i can give is, lets say you are in address position, and you are online, but if you close your right eye , you go offline, and if you close left eye u go online. thats whats happening to me when i am in address position with my centre chin. it seems that my eyes are trying to find the correct angle, and each eye is seeing from different angle. "There are two overlapping pictures while down on the shot, one from each eye"
    i tried to put under the dominant eye , however it feels extremely uncomfortable and seems that i am watching the table from 2:00 oclock angle, very strange view

EDITED

i lineup everything perfect and looks great, but when i get down i go offline , but this donest all the time or for all the angles. it happens arorund 60% of the time. so whenever i am online on a certain shot , no matter how many times i get up i still am offline, so i used to compensate using side , then my coach said dont do that. so i started to move my bridge hand or unconciously my bridge hand shoulder was moving and it was making me online , but later i found out that i shouldnt be moving at all

so these days i tried not to touch the cue to the chin at all, then i saw that i longer am offline when the cue has no connection to chin

i will make it easy for you to understand , bcaz in my threat i gave an example and it has confused some people:

50% of the time i am offline
    30% of the time , depends on the angle of the shot
    20% of the time ( when i get down, i feel i am offline , but doubtful. what i mean is, i feel that this shot might not go, but after few features, it feels that its online and i might pot it, then offline again. so i m not sure whats going on here, i stay still here. so its definately my eyes tricking me. ( THATS WHY I GAVE AN EXAMPLE FOR YOU GUYS , LETS SAY , YOU ARE ONLINE , AND IF YOU CLOSE YOUR LEFT OR RIGHT EYE AT A TIME, YOUR VISIION OF ANGLE CHANGES. " so thats whats happening to me when i am down on the shot

yes if i move my body while in address position , i can make it online and yes i can pot it. but if i get up and get down i get to same offline position

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXAYFW1__Hs
    Last edited by highestbreak50; 20 July 2017, 10:55 AM.

Originally Posted by highestbreak50 View Post
    you go offline, and if you close left eye u go online.
    There is something wrong with your router?

Usually eyes work as a right angled triangle: one eye, the one with the right angle sees the line; and the other works out distance. The right angle one is the best one to see the line of the shot and the cue.......

Comment

Hello.

It's very difficult to understand exactly what you mean. So I have a couple of questions:

So you're standing behind the shot and it all looks good, then you get down and you're in the address position, it then looks wrong? It looks like you are not on the line of aim anymore? What happens if you just try to pot that ball? Do you pot it, or do you miss exactly where you thought you were going to miss?

Right, so I don't know the answers yet to all those questions, but let's assume you get into the address position and it looks wrong, and so when you try and pot you'll miss...... What happens if you get down, and then move around until it looks like you will now pot that ball? So you mess around in the address position until it looks ok, and then deliver the cue... what happens?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to fully understand your problem.

I've watched the video by the way.
      WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
      Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
      --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I have a few questions, are you aiming your cue at the back of the black potting point? Are you allowing for the offset between the balls. You can't just point your cue at the potting point you will miss thick all the time on cut shots, you have to judge where to aim the white so it hits the blacks potting point( I'm not explaining that very well).
        When cutting the black in like that are you aiming for centre pocket? If so ,don't, aim slightly for the high part of the pocket, (or right hand side of the pocket on that shot in the video)because of the friction between the balls on contact you can miss thick of you pick a centre pocket line.
        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
          Hello.

It's very difficult to understand exactly what you mean. So I have a couple of questions:

So you're standing behind the shot and it all looks good, then you get down and you're in the address position, it then looks wrong? It looks like you are not on the line of aim anymore? What happens if you just try to pot that ball? Do you pot it, or do you miss exactly where you thought you were going to miss?

Right, so I don't know the answers yet to all those questions, but let's assume you get into the address position and it looks wrong, and so when you try and pot you'll miss...... What happens if you get down, and then move around until it looks like you will now pot that ball? So you mess around in the address position until it looks ok, and then deliver the cue... what happens?

Yeah these are the questions that need answered ....I had the same sort of problem as you describe . im curious if your answers to his questions are the same as mine would have been a month ago

Comment

That video shows us nothing, post three photographs of you in the address position, one from exactly directly in front, one from the side and one from the rear so we and you can see exactly where your cue is in relation to your eyes and your body.

Comment

as others have said its difficult to know exactly what you are doing when you are down on the shot so it would be beneficial if you posted a video from behind and frontal view of you approaching and getting down on the shot then playing it.

from what I saw in the video , it seems you are lining up the centre of the white to the contact point you have chosen. this will always hit thick as someone has mentioned.
              I have had or may still have sometimes a similar issue when high on the black, I hit thick however I hit the edge of the jaw, i don't aim the center of the white to the contact point I allow for the offset however I am not allowing for impact throw. its trial and error to find the optimum throw for different cuts.

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
                Hello.

thanks tedisbill, you r right. i lineup everything perfect and looks great, but when i get down i go offline , but this donest all the time or for all the angles. it happens arorund 60% of the time. so whenever i am online on a certain shot , no matter how many times i get up i still am offline, so i used to compensate using side , then my coach said dont do that. so i started to move my bridge hand or unconciously my bridge hand shoulder was moving and it was making me online , but later i found out that i shouldnt be moving at all

so these days i tried not to touch the cue to the chin at all, then i saw that i longer am offline when the cue has no connection to chin

i will make it easy for you to understand , bcaz in my threat i gave an example and it has confused some people:

50% of the time i am offline
                30% of the time , depends on the angle of the shot
                20% of the time ( when i get down, i feel i am offline , but doubtful. what i mean is, i feel that this shot might not go, but after few features, it feels that its online and i might pot it, then offline again. so i m not sure whats going on here, i stay still here. so its definately my eyes tricking me. ( THATS WHY I GAVE AN EXAMPLE FOR YOU GUYS , LETS SAY , YOU ARE ONLINE , AND IF YOU CLOSE YOUR LEFT OR RIGHT EYE AT A TIME, YOUR VISIION OF ANGLE CHANGES. " so thats whats happening to me when i am down on the shot

to answer your second question, yes if i move my body while in address position , i can make it online and yes i can pot it. but if i get up and get down i get to same offline position

Comment

You are NOT supposed to be opening and closing your eyes tho one at at a time !
                  Majority of people have a dominant eye, your brain should work it out, don't go moving around with one eye shut that will not work !
                  Set up a shot that you missed over and over again, your brain should work it out so you can get on correct line to pot it, if not then there's no hope for you
                  Last edited by jrc750; 20 July 2017, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Pick out the angle and line of the shot when up get down on that line and trust it - don't re aim when down. The angles look different when down - trust the line you pick out when up. Stay true to it

try this exercise pick out the line get down close eyes fire.

Or don't actually put your head on the cue play with it above the cue ala Terry Griffiths - this might help you see the angle better.

Just try it - see if any of it helps.

Ps on that particular shot the line is towards the money side of pocket - aim a bit thinner than you think if hitting plain ball (Or use a trace of helping side) or the cut induced throw will take it to the near jaw ==

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                      Pick out the angle and line of the shot when up get down on that line and trust it - don't re aim when down. The angles look different when down - trust the line you pick out when up. Stay true to it

try this exercise pick out the line get down close eyes fire.

Or don't actually put your head on the cue play with it above the cue ala Terry Griffiths - this might help you see the angle better.

Just try it - see if any of it helps.

Ps on that particular shot the line is towards the money side of pocket - aim a bit thinner than you think if hitting plain ball (Or use a trace of helping side) or the cut induced throw will take it to the near jaw ==
                      This is it, took me ages to stop fighting myself when I got down but you have to just pick a point standing up and hit it when you are down.
                      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

This thread is so confusing (excepting for the last two posts) that I was going to suggest Asking Roy :wink:

But these should explain it:
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FRVSfwHBG8
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF22ZEZmvn0

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                          This is it, took me ages to stop fighting myself when I got down but you have to just pick a point standing up and hit it when you are down.
                          I guess I'm where you were ages ago then. My cue action is straight, and I know I can just relax and let that happen, but when I'm not too confident of the angle I just can't seem to get onto the shot properly, same as the OP I suppose.

If I think it's thin then it's thin, if I think it's thick then it's thick, which I suppose is good. There was about an hour when I just pointed my cue before I got down, flopped on to it and smashed everything in, almost everything I can't seem to replicate it though. I think just being relaxed about it was the thing what done it, but how do you relax onto a shot you aren't confident about? Aim it and shut your eyes?

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                            I guess I'm where you were ages ago then. My cue action is straight, and I know I can just relax and let that happen, but when I'm not too confident of the angle I just can't seem to get onto the shot properly, same as the OP I suppose.

If I think it's thin then it's thin, if I think it's thick then it's thick, which I suppose is good. There was about an hour when I just pointed my cue before I got down, flopped on to it and smashed everything in, almost everything I can't seem to replicate it though. I think just being relaxed about it was the thing what done it, but how do you relax onto a shot you aren't confident about? Aim it and shut your eyes?
                            It's funny reading this post as that where I am at the moment. I played the first 3 frames the other day, see the shot and angle, foot on the line, cue on the line and then chest to cue etc etc and sank so may long pots.

Toward the last couple if frames did what I thought was the same and struggled with even the simplest of pots and knew the angle wasn't correct. I would trust the line and then miss it where I thought.

I'm convinced its a dominant eye thing and always gave been but have seen all the videos and know where to put the cue but not so sure the brain always calculates it, who knows, my brain is certainly fried!
                            Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                            Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                            Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

if anyone is struggling maybe try this advice. Firstly good days and bad days - we all have them - therefore don't make the mistake of automatically discounting or adding anything to your game until you are completely sure what works and what don't..Set yourself realistic targets for improvement and put some effort in to achieve these.

Below is a method for sighting the angle - and some reasoning.

Stand up behind and away from the shot...Now look at the object ball to the pocket - imagine tram lines running through that ball to the pocket - you simply just need to send it down that line - (the angle you need to hit on the object ball should come from your view from behind the white - you will see perhaps that to make the (potting angle of contact) you may need to hit half ball quarter ball or three quarter ball or something like this roughly then you make this guesstimate when standing up behind the shot and just get down and play the line of the white don't look at the pocket stay true to the line of the shot you picked out when up.

If you have missed its either you picked out the wrong potting angle or your technique did not allow you to send the white to the angle you picked.

So let me repeat and expand a little...

First - stand behind the shot = Imagine the shot going in and what type of shot you need for position.

Second - Look at the object ball then the pocket its going in the path you need to send it down (imagine a line of tram lines a path through from OB to pocket) then look back to the object ball

The next bit is where lots of people struggle ...Sighting the shot & Visualising the correct potting angle - where the white will hit

So now you are stood behind the shot (white) you have traced the line through the object ball to the pocket so now what do you do?

At this point your brain should work out the potting angle or maybe the contact point jumps out at you on showing a spot on OB if that is your thing I suggest this picking out of the correct potting angle only comes best with repeated hours on the table. Now some people try and find short cuts to this - searching perhaps for a secret/a reason why they cant pot everything. All ball sports involve geometry/collision theory after all - Americans in particular are obsessed with systems like this at pool CTE - 90 90 - etc (smaller table bigger pockets and so systems like this are more relevant) and maybe potting mathematics such as the 90 degree rule and things like this are useful aid to some people's understanding.

However in snooker I think though there are little tricks and bits you pick up here there and everywhere there is no is nothing better than having proper focused practice were you develop your own technique and consistent pre-shot routines - Don't just pot balls and look to pot more balls or play games and hope you will improve put some hours in/routines and stuff set targets and keep improving that technique by finding out what little bits suit your own game.

So now I'm going off topic sorry

So back to the bit where everyone falls down when learning unless you are really natural ...- how to pick out the potting angle. Like technique there are different ways - different ways of visualising the potting angle and picking this out. - If you do something and it works for you stick with it - I am not saying here one method is better than another. You might use two ways of doing it.

- how to shade the white onto the object ball (if this method is your thing) (Pick out the contact point on the back of object ball if this is your thing) (Ghost ball if this is your thing) or (parallel aiming - visualising lines or whatever this method is) or (Natural way -This is the most common for players eg = you the player have potted this angle of ball a million times before so you just know automatically)

A player is always estimating/ guessing - For a experienced player is more often than not confident in this because he has potted it a million times before - and his consistent pre shot routine technique and focus is such it breeds more confidence. You know its in when you are on the shot.

If I was to simply a way to try and seek improvement - I would play faster...Don't hesitate don't think/over think - Just stand behind the shot - look OB ball pocket OB ball imagine the line ruining from OB to the pocket -you simply have to send OB down that line...- So next pick out the correct line of the white hopefully in a way to make the ob go down that line - get down and stay true to the line you picked out of the white keep still (eyes quiet) on shot and play that line - trust yourself.

Stick to doing this for a few months and work on technical aspects only like delivering the cue straight feathering the same way you like to become consistent, maybe working on other areas grip, stance compacting your action etc.
                              Work out what bits of technique work for you by setting targets and seeing and noting improvements in practice long potting and on the line up etc.

The end.
                              Last edited by Byrom; 22 July 2017, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X