Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is this a free ball, i got told no .....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
    Is this a free ball , yes , Or , NO ??

Make up your mind !!
    According to the Rules it is NOT a Free Ball, but in the spirit etc of the game then it is.

As above: the Rule is worded for the CB in the jaws of a pocket and it not being a snooker for Free Ball purposes - but the photo illustrates the bad wording..........

Comment

Nice sketch ......I do get what your saying but if the balls were moved down the table you still can't hit the exstream edge because of the cushion
      I haven't read the rules for 35yrs thou ...my instinct would be to award a free ball ��

Comment

Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
        So where are the Brown and Blue?
        You have a wicked sense of humour ��

Comment

Originally Posted by Dave_marsy View Post
          Nice sketch ......I do get what your saying but if the balls were moved down the table you still can't hit the exstream edge because of the cushion
          I haven't read the rules for 35yrs thou ...my instinct would be to award a free ball ��
          But that line is available ie the CB would hit the Red. In the photo it isn't.

Scroll up to my Pink\Black Post and the first Obstruction is the only relevant one..... the curve is the same thing and as per the BAD wording it is not a Free Ball.

Comment

You have a wicked sense of humour ��
            I have the odd moment

Comment

Indeed, but it would be the straight part of the cushion which would be in the way, and they must be disregarded. Hence it WOULD be a free ball in that case.
              Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                Where in the rules does it say you have to be able to hit the extreme edges of a ball against a cushion?
                P.s, it's a very good diagram though

I'm sure I've already quoted the rule, but here it is again...

17. Snookered
                The cue-ball is said to be snookered when a direct stroke in a straight line to
                every ball on is wholly or partially obstructed by a ball or balls not on. If one or
                more balls on can be struck at both extreme edges free of obstruction by any
                ball not on, the cue-ball is not snookered.

(a) If in-hand, the cue-ball is snookered if it is obstructed as described above
                from all possible positions on or within the lines of the “D”.
                (b) If the cue-ball is so obstructed from hitting a ball on by more than one ball
                not on:
                (i) the ball nearest to the cue-ball is considered to be the effective
                snookering ball; and
                (ii) should more than one obstructing ball be equidistant from the cueball,
                all such balls will be considered to be effective snookering balls.
                (c) When Red is the ball on, if the cue-ball is obstructed from hitting different
                Reds by different balls not on, there is no effective snookering ball.
                (d) The striker is said to be snookered when the cue-ball is snookered as
                above.
                (e) The cue-ball cannot be snookered by a cushion. If the curved face of a
                cushion obstructs the cue-ball and is closer to the cue-ball than any
                obstructing ball not on, the cue-ball is not snookered.

The effect of the opening sentence of (e) means that one must assume that the straight part of the cushion is no there when assessing whether one can hit the extreme edges.
                Last edited by Londonlad147; 8 August 2017, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Londonlad147 View Post
                  I'm sure I've already quoted the rule, but here it is again...

17. Snookered
                  The cue-ball is said to be snookered when a direct stroke in a straight line to
                  every ball on is wholly or partially obstructed by a ball or balls not on. If one or
                  more balls on can be struck at both extreme edges free of obstruction by any
                  ball not on, the cue-ball is not snookered.

(a) If in-hand, the cue-ball is snookered if it is obstructed as described above
                  from all possible positions on or within the lines of the “D”.
                  (b) If the cue-ball is so obstructed from hitting a ball on by more than one ball
                  not on:
                  (i) the ball nearest to the cue-ball is considered to be the effective
                  snookering ball; and
                  (ii) should more than one obstructing ball be equidistant from the cueball,
                  all such balls will be considered to be effective snookering balls.
                  (c) When Red is the ball on, if the cue-ball is obstructed from hitting different
                  Reds by different balls not on, there is no effective snookering ball.
                  (d) The striker is said to be snookered when the cue-ball is snookered as
                  above.
                  (e) The cue-ball cannot be snookered by a cushion. If the curved face of a
                  cushion obstructs the cue-ball and is closer to the cue-ball than any
                  obstructing ball not on, the cue-ball is not snookered.

The effect of the opening sentence of (e) means that one must assume that the straight part of the cushion is no there when assessing whether one can hit the extreme edges.
                  Well going off that it would appear it's Not a free ball stupid rule in this instance

Comment

Well going off that it would appear it's Not a free ball stupid rule in this instance
                    Had another look you can't hit the left hand edge of the red so it's a Free Ball

Comment

According to the Rules it is NOT a Free Ball, but in the spirit etc of the game then it is.

As above: the Rule is worded for the CB in the jaws of a pocket and it not being a snooker for Free Ball purposes - but the photo illustrates the bad wording..........
                      spirit of the game eh ??

Yeah, when something TECHNICALLY is not right , you can always add abit of spirit to it .

Of cours , the only problem is that Crowd is just sitting thr waiting to find out which decision the Ref gonna take .
                      Technically stuff or the spirit stuff .

Frame started at 14:30 PM
                      Frame ended at 23:30 PM ( Re-spot black ) .

Comment

Had another look you can't hit the left hand edge of the red so it's a Free Ball
                        No, it is not!

One finest edge is being obstructed by the curved part of the cushion. That is an obstruction from hitting one edge, so that, because it is specifically mentioned, it sufficient for there to be no free ball.

Normally there is no free ball if you can hit both extreme edges. You can't in this case, so, as we've seen debated, one might expect there to be a free ball. However, because of the second sentence of 2.17(e) this situation is 'not normal' and a free ball cannot be called because the first, and only relevant obstruction, is the curved face of the cushion.

Comment

I think I heard a head bang on a wall in London

Comment

That's because it is not intended, I am sure, to apply in this scenario... only where the cue ball is actually within the jaws of the pocket.

Comment

I think I heard a head bang on a wall in London
                              I'm 140-odd miles away from London, but I'm sure the banging can be heard there.

Comment

This topic has done wonders for my post-count!

Comment

Working...
                                X