heavy vs light cueball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    I use a set of 1G balls and I've weighed them and I continue to check the cueball every once in awhile and it's still at 141.3gm. The Pro Cup from Aramith (in the blue box) are exactly the same balls and come off the same assembly line, however they are weighed and those close to 141.5gm are put aside for the 1G sets and those within 3gm of 141.5 are put in the Pro Cup sets.

There is no difference in playability but the 1G sets come with a handy brief case (that has a very weak handle). So in essence a Pro Cup set should falls within 140gm to 143gm or so however the set I had here was within 1G tolderance and I believe a lot of them are, so buy Pro Cup to save money but strengthen the box or get a briefcase and a couple of egg cartons.

Problems come when someone switches your cueball for one that weighs 129gm or something. I had that happen with my first set. NEVER let anyone use your set of balls (except maybe a friendly female).
    Interesting. So how long have you had the cueball that hasn't varied in weight?

Smee

Comment

It is snooker ball cue or pool ball cue

Comment

Originally Posted by Simon1993 View Post
        No one mentioned pool cue balls ?
        We are talking about snooker

Comment

"It is snooker ball cue or pool ball cue"

No one mentioned cues either

Comment

Aramith Premier Belgian vs chinese set = both weight the same, but if you compare it to a professional set, professional is heavier
            why the pro sets heavier ? although its 2/16 but they look shinier heavier

chinese set = $30 to $50
            aramith set = $350 ti $380
            professional set = $400 - $450

all standard size 2/16

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
              2 1/16 in is 2.0625 or 52.3mm NOT 2.16in or 2/16in

1/16 is a fraction (1 divided by 16)

2 1/16th (52~mm) is the full size balls for a full size table
              my clubs balls weight like 2 , and the cueballs are smaller, and the snooker association guy said, its bcaz have swapped their own cueballs and now the clubs stuck with smaller cueballs, i said i trust you

most players bring their own cueball @ the club, although you can feel that when they play with their own cueball, then the clubs balls become smaller and lighter

i would wanna buy a set, but very hard to carry around

Comment

Originally Posted by highestbreak50 View Post
                Aramith Premier Belgian vs chinese set = both weight the same, but if you compare it to a professional set, professional is heavier
                why the pro sets heavier ? although its 2/16 but they look shinier heavier

chinese set = $30 to $50
                aramith set = $350 ti $380
                professional set = $400 - $450

all standard size 2/16
                Don't waste time buying cheap Chinese junk !
                If you want to be a serious player get aramith tournament Champion balls

Comment

Originally Posted by Smeeagain View Post
                  Interesting. So how long have you had the cueball that hasn't varied in weight?

Smee
                  About 4 years or so
                  Terry Davidson
                  IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                    Don't waste time buying cheap Chinese junk !
                    If you want to be a serious player get aramith tournament Champion balls
                    John Parrot Cue Sports sells both the 1G and 3G and will ship anywhere but it makes it really expensive to ship a set of balls. Find a retailer near you who can order a couple dozen sets of 1G balls and charge a reasonable price. I get them wholesale for around 150GBP per set from a billiards wholesaleer near me.
                    Terry Davidson
                    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

I don’t know what you mean by everyone wants 4g?? Are we talking snooker balls or mobile internet speed.. the 1G balls are the most superior as they have a guaranteed tolerance throughout the set of 1 gramme hence 1G, most Aramith club balls used for Club competition play have a 3G tolerance and basic club balls around 5 grammes. Interestingly we have had a lot of visiting teams complaining about the white being light in both sets of match balls we use in the league, so I checked them tonight and they were way out, both whites were 126-127 gms and both sets of balls were around 141grammes so both white balls were around 14-15 grammes lighter?? Think the cheap option would be to replace the ****es sorry whites with 2 new ones..

Comment

Sounds like you have somehow got the cue balls from the regular club balls mixed up with the TC's ?

Comment

yep, ~120g range is often the Premier range of Aramith balls, not the TCs (~140g);someone got them mixed up, or ordered wrong replacement cue balls without checking! (Premier being cheaper than TCs)
                          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

All of the whites are coming out at 126-127 and the rest of the balls around 140-141 so I don’t think they’ve been mixed, the match balls are super crystallite and the Club balls are aramith, been told the match balls are very old??

Comment

BCE Super Crystalates stopped being made in the early 80s (IIRC), when Aramith bought the rights to make them, then stopped making them. The modern Aramith Cristalate range are still the Phenolic resin sued in the other ranges.

The cue balls should really be the same weight across the set of balls.

I think, sometime in the past, some one bought a batch of new cue balls (clean and shiny) without realising the differences.
                              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

You need to buy some new match balls, Aramith TC's, if you don't it's not fair on visiting teams who presumably are using them, if you are using light whites then visiting teams are in my opinion within their rights to refuse to play at your venue

Comment

Working...
                                X