heavy vs light cueball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
    BCE Super Crystalates stopped being made in the early 80s (IIRC), when Aramith bought the rights to make them, then stopped making them. The modern Aramith Cristalate range are still the Phenolic resin sued in the other ranges.
    Not quite right Dean. Aramith bought out the Composite Billiard Ball Company in the 80's but continued to make SC balls until the early 90's because World Snooker endorsed only SC balls for their tournaments, in fact the rules of snooker demanded that SC balls be used.
    When Aramith finally stopped SC ball production World Snooker had to endorse not only their (Aramith) PR balls but other balls of a similar composition with a rule change from SC balls only to a ball endorsed by the ruling body.

This is when the super fine cloths and table heaters started being used as the new PR balls kicked all the time on cloths with a normal nap and regular atmospheric conditions. Even now in pro tournaments when it gets a bit damp the PR balls contact badly very often.
    I remember well in the mid 80's when three new snooker clubs opened in town and they used Aramiths own PR balls when all others had SC balls to abide by the rules. The difference was major and I for one never played well in the new clubs, didn't join any for that reason and stayed at the local liberal club where we now have balls of both compositions and to this day I still prefer to use the two tables that still have SC balls, and if I can't get a game on those I have my own set of SC's.

The SC's are all 140-4 grammes and it's only the cheaper PR balls that are lighter.
    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

cheers Steve, I could not recall which decade

Yes the SC are the same weight, I wanted to note for the OP that they are no longer the crystalate material as in the past, but the same resin as the rest of the range nowadays
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

cheers Steve, I could not recall which decade

Yes the SC are the same weight, I wanted to note for the OP that they are no longer the crystalate material as in the past, but the same resin as the rest of the range nowadays
        Don't you wonder why the premier PR balls are lighter if the material is the same and the balls are the same size.
        Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
        but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

I just updated my TC set of balls from a set I bought 4 /5 years ago and found the new white to be very heavy old one was 141g. New one is 144 /143
          So maybe the old one lost a few grams over 5 years.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
            Don't you wonder why the premier PR balls are lighter if the material is the same and the balls are the same size.
            always have
            Also, good marketing ploy by Aramith to keep the old SC name for those that think they are getting the old type balls

Comment

Originally Posted by chas6868 View Post
              I just updated my TC set of balls from a set I bought 4 /5 years ago and found the new white to be very heavy old one was 141g. New one is 144 /143
              So maybe the old one lost a few grams over 5 years.
              Did you weigh the old one when you got it?
              The TCs can be anywhere from 138/9 up to 144/5; so your old one may have been 141 all along; or maybe 142 and shed a gram along the way
              As long as the set is within 3g range they are good for the rules and must be within 1g if you paid the extra for a 1g set.

My set are 139-142, with the cue ball being 140.
              Last edited by DeanH; 29 December 2017, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                ... in fact the rules of snooker demanded that SC balls be used.
                Do you have any examples of a set of rules with SC stipulated?

Comment

Do you have any examples of a set of rules with SC stipulated?
                  There was a set on the wall of the match room in our club, might still be thereabouts, I'll check next time I'm there.

Comment

So after weighing all of the balls in the 4 sets available in my club I now know they are all around 140-141 gms except the whites which are around 127gms, that’s both sets of Club balls and both sets of SC match balls so would I just need to buy 4 whites off eBay and which ones would I go for?? I mean are they a standard weight of around 140 gms so they would match up with the sets??

Comment

Originally Posted by black21920 View Post
                      So after weighing all of the balls in the 4 sets available in my club I now know they are all around 140-141 gms except the whites which are around 127gms, that’s both sets of Club balls and both sets of SC match balls so would I just need to buy 4 whites off eBay and which ones would I go for?? I mean are they a standard weight of around 140 gms so they would match up with the sets??
                      If you got on the John Parrot Cue Sports website, you can buy a new Aramith cue ball, and specify the weight when you order it. So I would ask for a 141g cue ball.
                      WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                      Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

You need to make sure they are the Tournament Champion balls, also sometimes called 3g
                        If buying 4 at once you might get a better deal, see here for correct one's you need
                        https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ARAMITH-3...i3cNUtsBTEUF5Q

Comment

John Parrot link as Ted mentioned, cheaper too as free postage
                          http://www.johnparrottcuesports.com/...ball-1320.html

Comment

You can't buy new SC cue balls for your SC sets so you'll have to make do with new TC cue balls that will weight about 140 or so grammes. As they're a different composite material the contact between TC cue ball and SC object ball will be different but a darn sight better than the light cue balls you're using now.

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
                              I recently bought a new white to match my set. I'd say they are about 3 years old and used regularly. The white had gone light so I ordered a new one to match my set.

I've also had a replacement black, and a replacement blue in the past as well as they has little chips out of them.

As pottr said really, I could do with a new set to be honest now.
                              HI mate. Have you checked the pocket leathers on the table you are using? As they may be split and are exposing get the pocket plate. Which when you pot anything with pace, it will damage the balls. Nothe good when you're shelling out £200 on brand new balls. It costs as little as £30 for complete set of leathers.
                              Cheap and Cheerful! 😄
                              https://wpbsa.com/coaches/simon-seabridge/

Comment

I think it's great that more people are becoming aware of how important it is to use the correct balls. It's a whole new thing to clean them as well. Only then do you get the full playing experience.
                                Cheap and Cheerful! 😄
                                https://wpbsa.com/coaches/simon-seabridge/

Comment

Working...
                                X