Snooker teaser how do you make a 157?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snooker teaser how do you make a 157?

Although I am likely to get responses saying that it is impossible to make a break above 155 in snooker, it is in fact possible for the break to go higher than this, unlikely though it is. So, how do you make a break of 157?

You make the final black worth 9 points...

It can't be done.
    Last edited by pottr; 12 September 2013, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
      You make the final black worth 9 points...

It can't be done.
      I am going by the official rules, so the value of the black cannot change. It can be done, though it does require unusual circumstances.

Comment

Originally Posted by t.lavery55 View Post
        I am going by the official rules, so the value of the black cannot change. It can be done, though it does require unusual circumstances.
        A drunk referee maybe ???
        My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
        I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
          A drunk referee maybe ???
          You are on the right lines, but I need you to be more specific. What does the drunk referee do?

I should just point out that the referee does not HAVE to be drunk.

Comment

trying to think of it the value of the balls don't change and to make it a break oallowed one free ball so should be a 155.

Comment

Originally Posted by t.lavery55 View Post
              You are on the right lines, but I need you to be more specific. What does the drunk referee do?

I should just point out that the referee does not HAVE to be drunk.
              Hmmmm, maybe put back a red back on the table by mistake.

It might be their last job though.

My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.

Comment

Originally Posted by zach123 View Post
                trying to think of it the value of the balls don't change and to make it a break oallowed one free ball so should be a 155.
                As I say in my original post, it is possible to go higher than this.

Comment

Hmmmm, maybe put back a red back on the table by mistake.

It might be their last job though.

How would this give a total of 157 points?

Comment

The drunken referee mistakenly replaces the yellow after the final black/red? And the player pots it before the referee realises his mistake?

Comment

The referee makes a mistake and after the free ball, black, 15 reds and blacks and the yellow the referee respots the yellow by mistake and the break continues, everyone failing to notice the error!

Comment

Well done, that is what I was looking for. Although mistakes like this by referees are (hopefully) rare, they do happen, and, if it isn't noticed, then the break stands at 157.

Comment

What would happen if the other player says after the second yellow that he just potted that? Would it be a foul, because the referee put the yellow back on the table by mistake?

Comment

What would happen if the other player says after the second yellow that he just potted that? Would it be a foul, because the referee put the yellow back on the table by mistake?
                            It would not be a foul, as the spotting of colours is considered to be the referee's responsibility, but the extra two points would be removed from the striker's score, so if he carried on clearing to the black, then his break would be 155. He would only manage a 157 if no one noticed the error until after he played the green as well, as the mistake is then condoned.

Comment

So what would happen if a referee put a red back on the table on the brown spot instead of the brown after it was sunk while there were still other reds on the table? The player has already sunk another red and then notices the mistake? We have a colour-blind player at our club that can't see the difference between red and the brown ball. I know he can ask if the ball is red or brown when playing but what if he was refereeing?

Not likely I know but I wonder what would happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X