Snooker teaser how do you make a 157?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by t.lavery55 View Post
    You would think so, but then again, maybe the player would rather like the idea of making history with a higher break than anyone has ever had before and so prefer not to mention the mistake! Personally, even if I was the opponent in the chair, I might still be tempted not to say anything, just so I could see it happen!
    i think i would be happy with the 155
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
      i think i would be happy with the 155
      Many players, would, I am sure, but a 155 has happened before (though not in in an official tournament). If you got a 157 you could practically guarantee that no one would ever match your record!

Comment

Many players, would, I am sure, but a 155 has happened before (though not in in an official tournament). If you got a 157 you could practically guarantee that no one would ever match your record!
        That was Jamie Cope, wasn't it?

I had an argument with a guy once. He asked if I knew what the highest break ever made was. I said 148. (The one Jamie Burnett made in qualifying.) He was adamant he'd seen a BBC feature about somebody making a 155, and I was adamant that the highest break made in competition play was 148.

It ended we were both equally right/wrong. I hadn't realised that Jamie Cope had made a 155 in practice, he hadn't realised it hadn't been in tournament play.
        Last edited by SnookerFan; 13 September 2013, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by SnookerFan View Post
          That was Jamie Cope, wasn't it?

I had an argument with a guy once. He asked if I knew what the highest break ever made was. I said 148. (The one Jamie Burnett made in qualifying.) He was adamant he'd seen a BBC feature about somebody making a 155, and I was adamant that the highest break made in competition play was 148.

It ended we were both equally right/wrong. I hadn't realised that Jamie Cope had made a 155 in practice, he hadn't realised it hadn't been in tournament play.
          Ha, amusing! It was indeed Jamie Cope that made a 155, though there was also one compiled by Mark Rowing that wasn't officially ratified, as the only people present were him and his opponent. Over the years, there have been several instances of breaks above 147 in practice frames, but only one in a professional tournament, the 148 you mention.

Wow, you are one post away from 1000!

Comment

Ha, amusing! It was indeed Jamie Cope that made a 155, though there was also one compiled by Mark Rowing that wasn't officially ratified, as the only people present were him and his opponent. Over the years, there have been several instances of breaks above 147 in practice frames, but only one in a professional tournament, the 148 you mention.

Wow, you are one post away from 1000!
            I've got a coaching DVD of Jimmy White and Alan McManus where Jimmy "allegedly" hits a 155. It is so amateurish it's unbelievable. The cuts in the filming are so damn obvious.....funny though.
            Last edited by fred.england; 13 September 2013, 03:24 PM. Reason: Crap grammar
            You may defeat me but I will fight you to the very end!!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by fred.england View Post
              I've got a coaching DVD of Jimmy White and Alan McManus where Jimmy "allegedly" hits a 155. It is so amateurish it's unbelievable. The cuts in the filming are so damn obvious.....funny though.

http://youtu.be/gK4U1cC_5RQ
              After 15 reds and 15 blacks i did this http://youtu.be/DupuczMS2o4

Comment

Read this as last line of post: BUT, if the game ends and the score is posted. Then you are probably right.

I always was under the impression that a foul, which playing a second yellow is, is a players responsibility to stop. In the same way as ensuring all balls have come to rest before playing a shot, playing a shot without a colour re-spotted or before a colour has been re-spotted. These are all fouls the player has to be mindful of.

And to me, if it isn't a foul it should be, the colour on is Green. But anyway, an incorrectly spotted yellow is no different to not spotting a colour before a shot, so I don't see why it would be treated any differently. There are many more complex rules than this one.

The table is in an unplayable condition, which is up to the player to draw attention to. Take a shot and it's simply a foul. (never played pretend to re-spot and then call a 5 point foul?)

The onus of the shot is on the player, not the referee..

But, any player that has the guts to go after a 157 hoping no one notices, well, I'd buy him a beer.
                Last edited by SonicWave; 17 September 2013, 04:23 PM.

Comment

What if the ref re-spotted the pink.... AND NO ONE NOTICED?

That would be 161..

Just as ridiculous as the players missing the yellow being re spotted

Comment

I'm waiting for re spot the last black, after a free ball situation of course, so 162

Comment

What if he just kept on re spotting the pink at the end... AND NO ONE NOTICED?

The break could be infinite... I'm gonna play my 5 year old daughter tonight and see if she notices.

Tomorrow, I'll post a video of my clearance of 27,412

Comment

I'm sure she wouldn't realise
                        And if you keep respotting the pink, how can you get a clearance

Comment

Re-spot my black so I can get one..

Comment

I'll tell her you can only re spot it a couple of thousand times

Comment

Originally Posted by SonicWave View Post
                              Read this as last line of post: BUT, if the game ends and the score is posted. Then you are probably right.

I always was under the impression that a foul, which playing a second yellow is, is a players responsibility to stop. In the same way as ensuring all balls have come to rest before playing a shot, playing a shot without a colour re-spotted or before a colour has been re-spotted. These are all fouls the player has to be mindful of.
                              The situation is covered by section 3 rule 7(a) of the rule book which states:

"A player shall not be held responsible for any mistake by the referee in failing to spot correctly any ball."

What this means is that if the referee forgets to spot a colour, re-spots a colour when it should have been left off the table, or spots a colour in the wrong place, it is considered to be his fault, not the player's, so the player will not be fouled for playing with the balls wrongly spotted, even if it causes him to go for the wrong ball.

The only exception to this is when the player plays before the referee has had time to re-spot the colour.

Originally Posted by SonicWave View Post
                              And to me, if it isn't a foul it should be, the colour on is Green. But anyway, an incorrectly spotted yellow is no different to not spotting a colour before a shot, so I don't see why it would be treated any differently. There are many more complex rules than this one.
                              I agree that it shouldn't be treated any differently, but it isn't, as when a colour has been left off the table when it should been re-spotted, no foul should be called if the player fails to notice and plays his shot. This situation is treated exactly the same as playing an extra yellow.

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                                What if the ref re-spotted the pink.... AND NO ONE NOTICED?

That would be 161..

Just as ridiculous as the players missing the yellow being re spotted
                                In fact, this would be even more ridiculous, as there would never be any reason to re-spot the pink after several shots during a break, when no reds were remaining.
                                The reason why I chose the yellow is that, confusion is more likely to arise here, because sometimes the yellow is potted off the last red, and so has to be re-spotted. As all the other colours and no reds will be remaining, the table looks identical to when the yellow is potted as the first of the six colours, so confusion can easily arise, if the referee and the players are not fully alert.

Admittedly, it doesn't usually cause a problem, but it has been known.

Good luck with your 27,412

Comment

Working...
                                X