Ssb - jungle jimmy gets wembley wildcard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by bonoman1970 View Post
    Well Steve Davis apart from winning more titles in his career than anyone else ,in the eighties used to have his own TV shows and radio shows, could you see any of the top 16 doing that now !
    Besides Steve and Jimmy were superb top class sportsmen who appealed to the public,like it or not ,I cannot seriously compare them with the really boring top 16 of today.
    steve davis and jimmy white were given the platform for people to get to know them in the 80's as there were only a few channels on tv

the players now are not given these opportunites

so take your rose tinted specs off
    Robbo Unbeatable in ranking finals 6 out of 6

COME ON ROBBO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally Posted by superaussie View Post
      and your such a neutral in this discussion
      Im not neutral at all.....i cant be when Jim is involved.

P.S. Its very touching that you are so prompt in defending Wild....from what i saw he can do it himself, but....very touching.
      "There has only ever been Alex Higgins, myself and now Ronnie O'sullivan who play the game the way it should be played with such excitement - I know the fans love it this way" - Jimmy White

Comment

• Originally Posted by attilahun View Post
        Im not neutral at all.....i cant be when Jim is involved.

P.S. Its very touching that you are so prompt in defending Wild....from what i saw he can do it himself, but....very touching.
        defending what ?

i dont need defending i look to the future not back.

im a stephen hendry fan if he got a wild card for anything that he dont deserve id say the same things.

he should NEVER have been in the league this year and the fact he bommed proved it.

Comment

• Well if people don't care about the result why don't they go along to their local snooker club and pay to watch an exhibition.

Professional snooker tournaments are about or should be about players aiming to win their matches and the audience caring or should be caring about the result. What's the point of professional snooker tournaments if the results don't matter at all to the players or the audience.
          Last edited by david16; 20 December 2009, 02:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by wildJONESEYE View Post
            defending what ?

i dont need defending i look to the future not back.

im a stephen hendry fan if he got a wild card for anything that he dont deserve id say the same things.

he should NEVER have been in the league this year and the fact he bommed proved it.
            Everyone wants to look to the future, but to do that snooker needs audience, a stable, solid one. And to do that, at first, Hearn gambles on those players who can attract people. And the audience will see their favorite player and the new faces. In time things will change, but in short term this is the only viable solution....to give the people what they want to see in order to attract them.....Its like educating a child.
            "There has only ever been Alex Higgins, myself and now Ronnie O'sullivan who play the game the way it should be played with such excitement - I know the fans love it this way" - Jimmy White

Comment

• I genuinely think that Jimmy will beat Mark King anyway ,dont know what all the fuss is about.

Comment

Everyone wants to look to the future, but to do that snooker needs audience, a stable, solid one. And to do that, at first, Hearn gambles on those players who can attract people. And the audience will see their favorite player and the new faces. In time things will change, but in short term this is the only viable solution....to give the people what they want to see in order to attract them.....Its like educating a child.
                Agree 100%. If snooker has no audience how can the kids be brought through?

WildJonesEye, Jamie Cope and Jimmy White? You are uncannily correct, they are carbon copies of each other. White was VERY shy when he first came on the scene and so is Cope, it takes time to overcome that.

Mat
                Whoever said "Winning isn't everything; it's the only thing" was an arsehole.

Comment

• Blimey whats going on here again !

Just had a look through the comments.......am i missing something here Jimmy can still actually play to a high standard......i am an Alex Higgins fan but giving him a wild card would be madness as sadly his health isn't up to it so neither is his game.

I'd love to see him at Wembley supporting Jimmy and maybe being introduced into the arena that would be a nice touch..........

But some are talking about Jimmy like he can't play & he past it.....when he isn't yet......as some have said & i agree he probably went into the jungle to get his place at the Masters & to help out with promoting snooker, he do anything to be involved in the game he loves.

There is no other player past or present at the moment & especially given the current state of snooker that would be a better choice than Jimmy White........

Can't believe having the most popular player currently in the game at the Masters is causing so much controversy.....

The new players coming through will have there time if there good & popular......and maybe more importantly if there's a game to come into thats popular with fans & sponsors alike, which at the moment Jimmy can really help out with.
                  Last edited by CueAntW147; 20 December 2009, 02:56 PM.

Comment

I'm sure that's what the people that made this decision had in mind. But my concerns still remain. Can White attract people? Sure, he can. But he has his own fan base, mostly older fans, and some of them are exclusively fans of White, rather than fans of snooker in general. People like brendan147 or bonoman1970 are living proof of why having White at the tournament to expose other players won't work. One calls John Higgins (who is arguably the best player in the world) boring, and the other one calls the entire top16 boring. They are certainly entitled to that, but what new faces would you expose to them? The top16 is mostly players who have been around for a while, and some people have already decided that they're not worth watching. They might be lost as snooker fans unfortunately.

And they're not the majority of course. When you say "give the people what they want to see", you might find that most people would prefer to see Liang Wenbo. But that's only speculation.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
                      I'm sure that's what the people that made this decision had in mind. But my concerns still remain. Can White attract people? Sure, he can. But he has his own fan base, mostly older fans, and some of them are exclusively fans of White, rather than fans of snooker in general. People like brendan147 or bonoman1970 are living proof of why having White at the tournament to expose other players won't work. One calls John Higgins (who is arguably the best player in the world) boring, and the other one calls the entire top16 boring. They are certainly entitled to that, but what new faces would you expose to them? The top16 is mostly players who have been around for a while, and some people have already decided that they're not worth watching. They might be lost as snooker fans unfortunately.

And they're not the majority of course. When you say "give the people what they want to see", you might find that most people would prefer to see Liang Wenbo. But that's only speculation.
                      Brilliant Post and 110% correct.

Comment

• Well I can remember Liang Wenbo playing the other week in the UK with one man and his dog in the crowd ,so Im not too sure about your words of wisdom.

Comment

• Originally Posted by bonoman1970 View Post
                          Well I can remember Liang Wenbo playing the other week in the UK with one man and his dog in the crowd ,so Im not too sure about your words of wisdom.
                          Indeed.....I bet Jimmy can attract a few more people and even dogs.

Comment

Indeed.....I bet Jimmy can attract a few more people and even dogs.
                            whats the point ?

soon jimmy will be off tour then what ? you are living in dream world with no forward thinking.

Comment

• Originally Posted by wildJONESEYE View Post
                              whats the point ?

soon jimmy will be off tour then what ? you are living in dream world with no forward thinking.
                              Then nothing...i will still watch snooker, support Ronnie and maybe post here once in a while.....But until then i look forward to the Masters in january. My favorite player was awarded a wildcard and i cant wait to watch him play.

Comment

Then nothing...i will still watch snooker, support Ronnie and maybe post here once in a while.....But until then i look forward to the Masters in january. My favorite player was awarded a wildcard and i cant wait to watch him play.
                                just the reply i expected your no snooker fan your a hanger on the sport could do without.

Comment

Working...
                                X