Ssb - jungle jimmy gets wembley wildcard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by wildJONESEYE View Post
    cant speak for all but i whined because he is a nobody today in the world of snooker and theres others that deserve a chance more than him thats why i whined as you put it..

Ranked 60+ dropping down because of playing tarzan in the jungle and he got a wild card.

sorry but pulling out of the UK should not be rewarded.
    A nobody in the world of snooker??! Tell that to the hundreds who will pack Wembley!Blimey he may not have had the best of runs of late but thats certainly very harsh,and not even true.
    You seem to have it in for Jimmy whats he ever done to you?!
    He has captured the hearts of millions of fans down the years.......
    And what have you done in snooker!? Im all for constructive criticism but your last post was a steaming pile of the brown stuff!
    What a sour face you must be

Comment

• You misunderstand the geography of the UK, Odrl. The Scottish and the Welsh hate the English. The Irish hate the English, the Scottish, the Welsh and each other. In England itself, the north hates the south and the south hates the north. Everyone hates London unless they live there. Within London, the people who were born there hate everyone who wasn't, and vice versa. So being perceived as 'local' isn't necessarily just an issue of proximity.
      Last edited by Templeton Peck; 29 December 2009, 06:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Adam1975 View Post
        A nobody in the world of snooker??! Tell that to the hundreds who will pack Wembley!Blimey he may not have had the best of runs of late but thats certainly very harsh,and not even true.
        You seem to have it in for Jimmy whats he ever done to you?!
        He has captured the hearts of millions of fans down the years.......
        And what have you done in snooker!? Im all for constructive criticism but your last post was a steaming pile of the brown stuff!
        What a sour face you must be
        Well isn't this all about what he HAS done for the game of snooker, I mean quite a few here seem to think that he deserves the wild card for that... That's why those who like to dwell in the past go to watch him, hoping that he'll miraculously gets his form back in front of Wembley crowd. But the truth is that at the moment he is nothing in the game, his ranking and also his recent lack of success tell so much for us. End of it.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Looki View Post
          Well isn't this all about what he HAS done for the game of snooker, I mean quite a few here seem to think that he deserves the wild card for that... That's why those who like to dwell in the past go to watch him, hoping that he'll miraculously gets his form back in front of Wembley crowd. But the truth is that at the moment he is nothing in the game, his ranking and also his recent lack of success tell so much for us. End of it.
          thats correct.

he has been a great player he has been a fantastic ambassador for the game but can you see Ian Rush getting a game for Liverpool based on what he did 20 years ago ?

Comment

• If I were liverpool at the moment I would probably consider it.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Templeton Peck View Post
              If I were liverpool at the moment I would probably consider it.
              but no matter how desperate they are they wouldnt....

cant you see how desperate it makes snooker look giving jimmy a wild card based on past performances.....desperation is not attractive for sponsors.

Comment

• No,but a decent crowd and thousands more watching on tv is!!

Comment

• Originally Posted by Templeton Peck View Post
                  You misunderstand the geography of the UK, Odrl. The Scottish and the Welsh hate the English. The Irish hate the English, the Scottish, the Welsh and each other. In England itself, the north hates the south and the south hates the north. Everyone hates London unless they live there. Within London, the people who were born there hate everyone who wasn't, and vice versa. So being perceived as 'local' isn't necessarily just an issue of proximity.
                  I suppose that's true, but rivalry between different regions within a country is not specific to the UK. It happens all over the world.

In any case, I don't think preferences based on the player's nationality are all that common in snooker anyway. If the Masters was held in Glasgow, you'd probably still be making a case for White, not for someone like Graeme Dott for instance.

Comment

• Well I dont know what the odds will be for Jimmy in the first round,hope they have got the thoughts some of you have and give massive odds on him beating Mark King ,because
                    I really fancy Jimmy to win that match,or atleast get close.
                    I know Jimmy hasnt been playing too bad the last season or so,beating John Higgins, Graham Dott,Ken Doherty 5-0 and I think Mark Williams also.
                    I know he is not the player he once was but If I could draw any player in the top 16 for me it would be Mark King . I dont want to run him down but I have never seen him play world class and cannot remember him winning a match in the tv stages for a couple of years or so.
                    I honestly think Jimmy has every chance of winning that one.
                    I hope Jimmy proves me right because he has more ability in his eyebrows than a lot of the so called "masters".....
                    come on Jimmy !

Comment

• I dont understand you lot who knock jimmy he was given the wild card back in oct 'never mind because he has been in the jungle it is all about filling the place and JIMMY will do that and then he will get the wild card again next year .If that is what it takes to keep the money in the game then so be it bring back ALEX 'davis' parrot 'all the vets let them have a play of for the wild card that will put bums back on seats at leased the sponsors will be happy .i hope all of you come back on after JIMMY beats KING .come on jimmy .

Comment

• Originally Posted by wildJONESEYE View Post
                        cant speak for all but i whined because he is a nobody today in the world of snooker and theres others that deserve a chance more than him thats why i whined as you put it..

Ranked 60+ dropping down because of playing tarzan in the jungle and he got a wild card.

sorry but pulling out of the UK should not be rewarded.
                        I will not repeat this again. You are definitely underestimating Jimmy's capability and present in this Masters. Otherwise, why should you whine for him getting wild card?

The organizer believe in Jimmy and I am very2 sure that they know him a lotttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt ttttttttttttt better than you do.. which is for some reasons why they inviting Jimmy into the Masters.

Just accept it with open minded. OKAY?
                        My cueing sucks

Comment

• I don't understand why the 15th in the Official rankings (Allen) plays the qualifyer (McLeod), who showed some form winning the qualifying tournament, and the 16th (King) is awarded to play aggainst an "i play good in practice" out of form White? Isn't that stupid? The player who is higher in the rankings should play aggainst the easier opponent (in this case Jimmy), not vice versa.

Comment

• Originally Posted by matoski View Post
                            I don't understand why the 15th in the Official rankings (Allen) plays the qualifyer (McLeod), who showed some form winning the qualifying tournament, and the 16th (King) is awarded to play aggainst an "i play good in practice" out of form White? Isn't that stupid? The player who is higher in the rankings should play aggainst the easier opponent (in this case Jimmy), not vice versa.
                            Correction for your post above: Allen meet Higgins...not McLeod

What do you mean by "stupid" here? This is the Masters. Any top 16 has potential to lift the trophy...!!! This event is to recognize the best of the best among those elites...!!!

If you see the draw carefully, those in top 8 will not playing each other in R2. They will be against players from ranking 9 - 14 (which I believe it is a random draw).

As for Mark William (ranked 15th) will meet a qualifier (Rory) and Mark King (ranked 16th) will meet a wild card (Jimmy) before any of them will meet 2 other players (Maquire and Carter) from top 8 in R2.

Nothing wrong with this draw. If either Jimmy/King survive, any of them will still facing a difficult opponent ahead of them (Stephen Maguire - UK 2009 semifinalist). Anything can happen. So it is a fair draw....!!!

Ronnie will have an early encounter against the uprising Robbo in R2. Do you think it is fair draw or not? Anyway, don't understimate Mr.White, pal....
                            My cueing sucks

Comment

• Originally Posted by matoski View Post
                              I don't understand why the 15th in the Official rankings (Allen) plays the qualifyer (McLeod), who showed some form winning the qualifying tournament, and the 16th (King) is awarded to play aggainst an "i play good in practice" out of form White? Isn't that stupid? The player who is higher in the rankings should play aggainst the easier opponent (in this case Jimmy), not vice versa.
                              Mark Williams plays Rory McLeod, and to be honest, I would take a veteran debutant over a former star anyday to play. No offense to McLeod, but the crowd will probably cheer for Jimmy, whoever he faces, and that can get tough..

McLeod will not be a walk-over for Mark, but I think he will bring his best after the disappointing UK run.
                              All the way Mark J!!

I understand nothing from snooker. - Dedicated to jrc750!

Winner of the German Masters 2011 Lucky Dip

Comment

• Hm, is it always the case that the winner of the qualifying event plays #15, and the wildcard plays #16? Or is it randomly drawn once they announce the wildcard?

In any case, I'd think that the wildcard would usually be the tougher opponent. You get the likes of Bingham, McLeod or Trump as winners of the qualifying event, while the wildcard goes to guys like Ding, Fu, Maguire or Walden. It's almost guaranteed that at least one fairly good player is outside the top16 at any point in time.

And of course, if the right choice was made this year, Liang (or even Walden) would be considered as a tougher opponent than McLeod.

Comment

Working...
                                X