No announcement yet.

Ssb - jungle jimmy gets wembley wildcard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If they had any sense on the day Jimmy plays they would sell tickets for the later matches at half price and see if they can keep the audience.

Comment

• Originally Posted by wildJONESEYE View Post
      mate he is not in first flushes of youth.

i was as much a fan of his as anyone but harping back is holding the sport back.
      wild... what do you mean by "holding the sport back" exactly?

=o|

Noel

Comment

• Spot the top 16 player

Watching King v White will be laughable! Two bangers, who will struggle to break 50.

Snooker news to move forward, not clutch on to frail straws from the distant past!

Would you pay to watch King v White?

Comment

• Originally Posted by Templeton Peck View Post
          If they had any sense on the day Jimmy plays they would sell tickets for the later matches at half price and see if they can keep the audience.
          They've done this on previous years too...
          ZIPPIE FOR CHAIRMAN

Comment

• Originally Posted by circle View Post

Me? No.
            But with Jimmy playing he would up the audience 10X over King's draw, and for good reason...
            White is simply the "legend" King will never be.

That's the biggest problem the current WPBSA board has is making up for all those "lost years of neglected players and bored fans".
            But especially at a time like today, ditching players with "drawing power" is stupid.

[ a long time ago I did see Martin Luther King vs Whitey... that was great! ]

=oP

Noel

Comment

• Originally Posted by circle View Post
              Watching King v White will be laughable! Two bangers, who will struggle to break 50.

Snooker news to move forward, not clutch on to frail straws from the distant past!

Oh, then you should have a new idea to immediately retire players aged above 30 ..

And if you can't stand the match, then don't watch it. I wouldn't pay to watch King v White. I wouldn't pay to watch King v Wenbo, either..

You know what? I wouldn't pay to watch anything, so that a genius would happily arrive and smash the whole respect the veterans getting by burying them to the ground..

If this is your path to snooker's salvation, and if you think that game will only move forward when veterans give up, then I wish you good luck..
              All the way Mark J!!

I understand nothing from snooker. - Dedicated to jrc750!

Winner of the German Masters 2011 Lucky Dip

Comment

• Although I am looking forward to see Jimmy on TV again, I cannot believe this will be the way to 'wake up' (Hearn) the game. The criterion for the wild card should be competitivenes judged by recent results, nothing else. There are a load of players who have deserved the Masters's card more than Jimmy. I'm sorry for them. If the Wildcards are given in this manner, then why not invite the likes of Davis and A.Higgins aswell and forget the rankings completely.
                Ten reds and not a colour...

Comment

• All of this may be academic - it could be that Hearn has a sponsor lined up and they are exercising their right to award the wildcard.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Templeton Peck View Post
                    All of this may be academic - it could be that Hearn has a sponsor lined up and they are exercising their right to award the wildcard.
                    Probably. The other thing is, Hearn has stated that for the start it's more important to promote the game in UK, to make it strong there, and only then expand it internationally. Taking this into account, Jimmy might be the right choice (marketing wise) for the British public.
                    ZIPPIE FOR CHAIRMAN

Comment

• Originally Posted by noel View Post
                      wild... what do you mean by "holding the sport back" exactly?

=o|

Noel
                      ahhhhhh jimmy white they dont play the game like he used to lalalalalala.

we want to showcase todays talent and the masters is the perfect vehicle because its centre stage.

i wouldn't mind if they gave Daniel Wells,Michael White wild cards but id prefer performances to be rewarded but Jimmy what will he bring to the table ? ok he might be popular but so is Alex Higgins why not tell Rory McLeod to take a hike and give his place to Alex.

this is a decision that based on narrow mindedness and not looking to the future at all which is worrieng if thats the case.

Comment

• Originally Posted by miscuehamburg View Post
                        Although I am looking forward to see Jimmy on TV again, I cannot believe this will be the way to 'wake up' (Hearn) the game. The criterion for the wild card should be competitivenes judged by recent results, nothing else. There are a load of players who have deserved the Masters's card more than Jimmy. I'm sorry for them. If the Wildcards are given in this manner, then why not invite the likes of Davis and A.Higgins aswell and forget the rankings completely.
                        well what did these players win then the ones that deserve it more .

Comment

• Originally Posted by mstone View Post
                          well what did these players win then the ones that deserve it more .
                          You don't want to seriously debate that players like Liang, Trump, Cope, or even Lee or Stevens have shown more competitivenes than Jimmy recently, don't you?
                          Ten reds and not a colour...

Comment

How the Bloody hell can they get a following if dinosaurs are wheeled out of their retirement home every time theres a bloody wild card on offer ?
                            My point exactly.

One of the biggest reasons snooker is in trouble is the fact that the sport has never been able to stop dwelling on its glorious years.

The BBC coverage is doing matters worse for snooker in this aspect, it's all about the past and none about the future. The 1985 final is mentioned about 162 times a tournament. "The old greats" are talked about all the time. I think it affects the interest for young players to take up the game as well, they need exciting new young role models, not some 25 year old clip of Cliff Thorburn being shown ten times a year or Steve Davis discussing the 1980's for the umpteenth time.

I can see the BBC coverage of Jimmy at the Masters already. John Virgo with a spotlight in his face on a black background going "Jimmy is one the games greatest naturally gifted players bla bla bla". Then they will show a collection of old clips of Jimmy while sweet music is being played. I've seen it a zillion times before. When will I see an exciting piece on Luca Brecel or Liang Wenbo? A very short clip like once a year, if I'm lucky.

No wonder people only like to watch the old guard, snooker has done zero to present the new generation.
                            Last edited by hegeland; 17 December 2009, 08:40 PM.

Comment

ahhhhhh jimmy white they dont play the game like he used to lalalalalala.

we want to showcase todays talent and the masters is the perfect vehicle because its centre stage.

i wouldn't mind if they gave Daniel Wells,Michael White wild cards but id prefer performances to be rewarded but Jimmy what will he bring to the table ? ok he might be popular but so is Alex Higgins why not tell Rory McLeod to take a hike and give his place to Alex.

this is a decision that based on narrow mindedness and not looking to the future at all which is worrieng if thats the case.
                              wild... jimmy will be 1 out how many spots?

My opinion is YES snooker needs to create more STARS.
                              But so far that's been a cockup hasn't it?
                              Who have the stars been since Jimmy or Alex and others of the 80's?
                              The Steve & Stephen Show monopolized the limelight for 13 years or more.
                              Williams. Dott. Parrott... THANK GOD for Ronnie and even he is being under-utilized as a marketing/PR treasure.

That Jimmy can draw more than any almost any other Top 32 speaks of FAILURE in management of snooker.
                              I agree, it would be great to see Brecel, White... and others more, but they are struggling to cut it with the grownup Pros.
                              Why not develop a "Rising Star" Under 18 TV show...? While they're at a "Falling Star" Over 40 TV show too.

Now is "Make The Most of It Time".

=o|

Noel

Comment

• You're not going to showcase it to anybody if they aren't buying tickets. Jimmy gets them through the doors, and then you can "showcase" the young talent. Robertson is already there and in him you have a player with an exciting style of play. Ideally they should put Jimmy up against Robbo and you have a packed arena to showcase him to. On the otherhand you could give the wildcard to Walden or Wenbo and Robertson and his peers can 'showcase' their talent to the dozen or so people who buy tickets.

Comment

Working...
                                X