No announcement yet.

Ssb - jungle jimmy gets wembley wildcard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fantastic Decision... Well Done Jimmy. Probably generate more money for snooker in his first round match, than the final itself will generate..although maybe he will be in the final himself, in fact, yeah, i fancy him to win it. Go On Jimmy
    Blown away

Comment

Originally Posted by Templeton Peck View Post
      Because if you send Liang to Wembley then you get another empty arena. If snooker were a Westend musical the curtains would have come down on it years ago. I don't understand why snooker fans refuse to acknowedege that the games needs players and matches that have appeal that bring in the crowds if you want to attract sponsors and broadcasters. Jimmy is an asset to the game, not a burden like half the posters on this thread seem to think. If the running of the game were left to you Wild it would shrivel up and die and then there would be no snooker for anyone! Barry Hearn knows snooker, knows what it needs, and at the moment it needs Jimmy.

well said mate
      Blown away

Comment

Because if you send Liang to Wembley then you get another empty arena. If snooker were a Westend musical the curtains would have come down on it years ago. I don't understand why snooker fans refuse to acknowedege that the games needs players and matches that have appeal that bring in the crowds if you want to attract sponsors and broadcasters. Jimmy is an asset to the game, not a burden like half the posters on this thread seem to think. If the running of the game were left to you Wild it would shrivel up and die and then there would be no snooker for anyone! Barry Hearn knows snooker, knows what it needs, and at the moment it needs Jimmy.
        whats to gain long term ?

both wild cards this year has the combined age of 86.

Comment

Originally Posted by superaussie View Post
          its called papering over the cracks
          Actually it's called a lifeline.

Comment

Totally agree whatever business your in you have to play to your strengths & i see Jimmy as an asset.......
            It might seem a quick fix to some ( although i would include him anyway regardless ) & it doesn't matter if it is..........the way snooker is at the moment we need to do anything we can.
            Jimmy's exhibitions are more packed than the venues at times........so to have him at a venue can only be a good thing.
            When many people think about snooker.....they think about Jimmy White as they used to with Alex Higgins.......popular players make a popular sport plain & simple.

Comment

Originally Posted by wildJONESEYE View Post
              whats to gain long term ?

both wild cards this year has the combined age of 86.
              Longterm hopefully a handful of players will develop their own followings, and when that happens Jimmy will become obsolete. No-one in the new generation is attracting those types of crowds yet.

Comment

Cant understand why only a few of us agree and are happy about this.....if it was wenbo and king playing, i probably wouldnt watch, along with loads and loads of other tv viewers, and the arena would be empty...... whereas jimmy against king, ill be watching, biting my nails, along with loads and loads of other tv viewers, and the arena will be packed to the rafters.

Its Brilliant News.
                Blown away

Comment

Longterm hopefully a handful of players will develop their own followings, and when that happens Jimmy will become obsolete. No-one in the new generation is attracting those types of crowds yet.
                  Correct ..........i don't think Ronnie has even managed to capture the same appeal yet.......

Comment

No-one in the new generation is attracting those types of crowds yet.
                    But there is nothing guaranteed that there will be another crowd star in the future.. What if that type of a player with flamboyant style doesn't arrive on the scene?

The sport will either be in desperacy or at best, they will completely change the entire game in a do-or-die situation.. Not looking good at all..
                    All the way Mark J!!

I understand nothing from snooker. - Dedicated to jrc750!

Winner of the German Masters 2011 Lucky Dip

Comment

Originally Posted by jw147 View Post
                      Cant understand why only a few of us agree and are happy about this.....if it was wenbo and king playing, i probably wouldnt watch, along with loads and loads of other tv viewers, and the arena would be empty...... whereas jimmy against king, ill be watching, biting my nails, along with loads and loads of other tv viewers, and the arena will be packed to the rafters.

Its Brilliant News.
                      Everyones happy really mate there just joking with us i think.......

Who wouldn't want to see the Whirlwind walking out again at Wembley

I can't wait...........

Comment

How the Bloody hell can they get a following if dinosaurs are wheeled out of their retirement home every time theres a bloody wild card on offer ?

Comment

Originally Posted by CueAntW147 View Post
                          Everyones happy really mate there just joking with us i think.......

Who wouldn't want to see the Whirlwind walking out again at Wembley

I can't wait...........

lol i think you might be right there mate, they must be afraid to come out of the closet and display theyre true feelings

I cant wait either
                          Blown away

Comment

If that happens Montoya, then the sport would be in very serious trouble. There are two new players that are star attractions - Ding and Wenbo - but only in their own country. If the sport was left with no British attractions and there were Chinese players that could draw vast crowds then I suppose that would see a transition to Chinese based snooker?

Comment

Originally Posted by jw147 View Post

Its Brilliant News.
                              Your point is true, I would take Jimmy's match over Wenbo's at anyday, even Jimmy's game is far from his peak.. But this looks like a miserable situation.. Lots of talk about Wenbo and his talent, drawing comparisons with Ding, so, still a former star of the game excites everybody( you can add me to that list ) than any current youngster in the game.. This is just inacceptable from an objective perspective..

Maybe the game is not dying.. Maybe it died about 15 years ago and only his children( Ronnie and his generation ) were making it seem alive..
                              All the way Mark J!!

I understand nothing from snooker. - Dedicated to jrc750!

Winner of the German Masters 2011 Lucky Dip

Comment

Originally Posted by wildJONESEYE View Post
                                How the Bloody hell can they get a following if dinosaurs are wheeled out of their retirement home every time theres a bloody wild card on offer ?
                                Bit harsh mate..............

Steady else you'll be banned again..........

Jimmy Whites a legend not a dinosaur.......

And while the place is packed to see Jimmy they might just see one of the new players coming through....but Jimmy needs to be there to get them there first............

Comment

Working...
                                X