No announcement yet.

TSB - Ronnie O’Sullivan withdraws stating medical reasons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snooker did need Ronnie up until this year but now that it seems there is a growing interest in the game again, i'm not sure the game does need him. It seems the interest in him is waining somewhat. People getting fed up with his attitude when he does turn up. Ronnie has been knocked out a few times in the first rounds and that hasn't affected the competition.

At the end of the day, if this was someone like Mark Allen, Murphy, Maguire or King doing this, people wouldn't be half as sympathetic.

That said, if there is a proper genuine reason why he cannot attend events abroad, he needs to be telling everyone because to be fair, there might be a genuine reason. Otherwise people are going to start getting more and more fed up.

Comment

Originally Posted by ore View Post
      True.
      Yet somehow that's a more active thread than the one on R1 of the actual tournament...
      What tournament? There isn't any ongoing snooker tournament at the moment.

Oh wait
      All the way Mark J!!

I understand nothing from snooker. - Dedicated to jrc750!

Winner of the German Masters 2011 Lucky Dip

Comment

Originally Posted by prouknow View Post
        But snooker does need Ronnie!

You all wanting ronnie to leave the game, the day that happens is the day the sport begins it's death.

Sad but true
        Snooker didn´t die when Alex Higgins got banned. He was a much bigger draw. It didn´t die when Jimmy White fell down the rankings, and ROS not beeing there will not mean a lot. How much was John Higgins missed the 6 months he was banned ? Not a lot, and we have seen lots of good tournaments without ROS beeing there.
        ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
        "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

Originally Posted by Rane View Post
          Snooker didn´t die when Alex Higgins got banned. He was a much bigger draw. It didn´t die when Jimmy White fell down the rankings, and ROS not beeing there will not mean a lot. How much was John Higgins missed the 6 months he was banned ? Not a lot, and we have seen lots of good tournaments without ROS beeing there.
          I agree there is always someone to replace them no matter who they are

Comment

I agree with what u say, but given that John Higgins's 6 month ban boiled down to him missing one Televised tournament, I don't think that comparrisson can be drawn! lol
            Steve Davis Technical Articles = https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...ilebasic?pli=1

Comment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/othe...er/9242660.stm
              sigpic
              Arthur Herbert Fonzarelli

Comment

I agree with what your'e saying but the sport was in a better place then than what it is now. When Alex and Jimmy was around snooker was at its boom and there was always other players to fall back on to draw in the crowds.

As for the game nowadays the sport relies too heavily on ROS. Everything snooker to the majority of the viewing audience is to do with ronnie, they always talk about his antics, his play on the table but not that interested with the other playes. Perfect example last China Open when ronnie withdrew, the match which they put instead of was MJW vs. JH (a perefecatbly good match), but in the audience there was about 15 people tops. Are you telling me that only 15 people was going to watch Ronnie?

Another instance is Rileys has his face splattered all over there promo posters, why because he is a big draw, do u see someone like Neil robertson (the World champ), murphy, selby, allen on them no because they associate it with ROS. I know he got sponsorship by them but rileys was hardly jumping to any of the other players.

Every sport needs its flagbearears (Barry hearn says ronnie is Snookers), tennis is Federer, Darts is Taylor and as much as people dislike it ROS is our sports flag bearer.

End of!!!

Comment

I have seen Robbo on some promotional adverts I think to be honest, and why not, he is World Champ after all.

The sport will continue fine long after Ronnie has gone, another talent will come along soon enough. I don't think he's a good role model at all to be honest, he has an abundance of talent but his overall discipline including reliability leaves alot to be desired.

Consistency certainly isn't his strong suit but when he's on form and in the balls (not quite so convinced about his tactical play as some commentators) he's been the best around to watch in recent times.

Comment

well there you go then.

Can't say he didn't warn us.
                    Fantasy Game Overall Winner 09/10 - World Championship 2009 Fantasy Game Winner - Seasonlong Prediction Contest Overall Winner 09/10 - Seasonlong Prediction Contest Runner-Up 08/09 - UK Championship 2010 Prediction Contest Winner - Rileys @ Chorlton Pool Team Merit Winner 07/08, 09/10:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by steedee View Post
                      well there you go then.

Can't say he didn't warn us.
                      He can't be the first player who's been through this. Don't know if that excuses it, but, it's gotta be tough.
                      Steve Davis Technical Articles = https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...ilebasic?pli=1

Comment

A fair enough reason. However ;-

1) He should inform the tournament directors in plenty of time, so a replacement can take his place.

2) The WC is over 2 weeks long. I assume he wont be attending this.......

Comment

The game does need ronnie. I barely watch it when he's not playing, but have watched every one of ronnies matches for years. He's just amazing to watch.

There was an article online, maybe in december, explaining that he wouldn't be playing in many of the overseas events because he wants to spend more time with his family etc. Also his ex-girlfriend, jo? has taken him to court over when he can see the kids etc and ronnie spent thousands of pounds trying to get custody, and he's finally got them to give him the children from friday night till monday i think, so breaching that is another think that could jepordise his relationship with his family. Not an easy situation to be in....

If anyone could find the article that'd be cool, i tried but couldnt find it.

The snooker needs some more characters like ronnie, seeing someone with his unparralel talent and perculiar behaviour would be great, Jimmy White was always a ledge to watch, as was higgins, but i'm too young to remember these guys playing properly tbh

Comment

Originally Posted by tris View Post
                            The game does need ronnie. I barely watch it when he's not playing, but have watched every one of ronnies matches for years...
                            I don't see how the game benefits from 'fans' who only want to watch one player, and aren't interested in watching anyone else.

-
                            The fast and the furious,
                            The slow and labourious,
                            All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

Originally Posted by tris View Post
                              There was an article online, maybe in december, explaining that he wouldn't be playing in many of the overseas events because he wants to spend more time with his family etc. Also his ex-girlfriend, jo? has taken him to court over when he can see the kids etc and ronnie spent thousands of pounds trying to get custody, and he's finally got them to give him the children from friday night till monday i think, so breaching that is another think that could jepordise his relationship with his family. Not an easy situation to be in....

If anyone could find the article that'd be cool, i tried but couldnt find it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/othe...er/9242660.stm

Comment

Originally Posted by prouknow View Post
                                I agree with what your'e saying but the sport was in a better place then than what it is now. When Alex and Jimmy was around snooker was at its boom and there was always other players to fall back on to draw in the crowds.

As for the game nowadays the sport relies too heavily on ROS. Everything snooker to the majority of the viewing audience is to do with ronnie, they always talk about his antics, his play on the table but not that interested with the other playes. Perfect example last China Open when ronnie withdrew, the match which they put instead of was MJW vs. JH (a perefecatbly good match), but in the audience there was about 15 people tops. Are you telling me that only 15 people was going to watch Ronnie?

Another instance is Rileys has his face splattered all over there promo posters, why because he is a big draw, do u see someone like Neil robertson (the World champ), murphy, selby, allen on them no because they associate it with ROS. I know he got sponsorship by them but rileys was hardly jumping to any of the other players.

Every sport needs its flagbearears (Barry hearn says ronnie is Snookers), tennis is Federer, Darts is Taylor and as much as people dislike it ROS is our sports flag bearer.

End of!!!
                                In terms of promotion of the sport a flag bearer who is totally unpredictable isn´t worth much. If I had put money into supporting the german masters I would consider it another time next year if I didn´t know what I would get from my support.
                                ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
                                "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

Working...
                                X