TSB - Ebdon’s complaint to The WPBSA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TSB - Ebdon’s complaint to The WPBSA

Peter Ebdon has complained to the WPBSA about the new format of The Welsh Open in regards to playing straight though and not having a break after the 4th frame, I spoke with WPBSA chairman Jason Ferguson earlier today and asked about the content of the complaint. Basically Peter complained about having to play through ... Continue Reading

More...

That's the same he was telling in his Berlin interview two weeks ago. So he came to Wales kind of preoccupied in the first place. He has of course every right for his opinion, even more so because this is his 20th year on the tour. As an associate of the pre Hearn governing body one would expect criticism like this from him.

I think his arguments lack a bit of consistency. The difference between Bo7/9 does not seem so huge that coming from abroad would be senseless, nor does the shorter distance cause that much upsets in the results. Not GB based pros are rare. Moreover, I think snooker needs to become more international, and this includes travelling, -even for 'lesser' formats if need be. (Ronnie can you hear me)

PE misses the interwall, but is it really necessary for just 7 frames at most? The players leave the arena quite often anyway. Agreeably the cloth gets remarkably dirty without the intervall-brushing, but this could easily be taken care by the ref if both players ask him to.

The quarters will be Bo9 again, so maybe Peter just didn't stay long enough to enjoy the tournament
    Ten reds and not a colour...

Comment

I wish Peter Ebdon the best of luck - I made an official complaint to the WPBSA last year after O'Sullivan's petulant non 147 break when he only potted the final black at the insistance of the referee....still waiting to hear back.

Didn't even have courtesy to reply. I cynically thought it might be because he is considered such a "Draw" for the game.

Recent events however have shown that tide may be turning and people realising that the game is actually bigger than Mr O...wasn't missed in Germany - won't be missed in Wales....might be missed from the top 16 soon !

Ooops may have tried to hijack this thread - Apologies.

Comment

I was looking over at ebdon "brushing" the table and realised he wasn't happy about something, but the funny thing is the complaint about the table not being brushed or maybe the break, i dunno, who knows with peter eh...

But when i seen him "brushing" the table i looked over at the scoreboard and only 2 frames had been played...

carter was just sitting in his chair, god knows what was going through his head, probably the same as everyone else... what the .... is he upto now.

Just peter with his head up his butt, it will blow over like it always does with him mun, he likes a good whinge now and then don't he...

Comment

All this "needs to be brushed after 4 frames" nonsense is exactly that - nonsense!!

Let's examine the evidence. The WC final is the best of 35 frames, split in to 4 sessions. The first 3 sessions consist of 8 frames, leaving a maximum of 11 frames to be played in the final session. The usual mid-session interval takes place after 4 frames in that final session so if the WC goes to a deciding frame, guess how many frames will be played on the table without it being brushed and blocked? You guessed it, 7 frames!!!

Have you ever heard any WC finalist complain that the table was a disgrace towards the end and there were loads of kicks because it hadn't been brushed and blocked for 7 frames? Of course not!! It's just Peter Ebdon being Peter Ebdon.

Utter nonsense.

Comment

Originally Posted by Gerry Armstrong View Post
            All this "needs to be brushed after 4 frames" nonsense is exactly that - nonsense!!

Let's examine the evidence. The WC final is the best of 35 frames, split in to 4 sessions. The first 3 sessions consist of 8 frames, leaving a maximum of 11 frames to be played in the final session. The usual mid-session interval takes place after 4 frames in that final session so if the WC goes to a deciding frame, guess how many frames will be played on the table without it being brushed and blocked? You guessed it, 7 frames!!!

Have you ever heard any WC finalist complain that the table was a disgrace towards the end and there were loads of kicks because it hadn't been brushed and blocked for 7 frames? Of course not!! It's just Peter Ebdon being Peter Ebdon.

Utter nonsense.
            That's exactly my point on the blog.
            Players have played potentially 7 frames without interval and table servicing in every best of 11 format, in every second session of best of 19 played 8/11.
            This means all "regular" semis, Masters except the final and "asian" finals.
            Can't remember Ebdon complaining about it.
            Proud winner of the 2008 Bahrain Championship Lucky Dip
            http://ronnieosullivan.tv/forum/index.php

Comment

well said peter straight talking as ever

Robbo Unbeatable in ranking finals 6 out of 6

COME ON ROBBO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by Monique View Post
                That's exactly my point on the blog.
                Players have played potentially 7 frames without interval and table servicing in every best of 11 format, in every second session of best of 19 played 8/11.
                This means all "regular" semis, Masters except the final and "asian" finals.
                Can't remember Ebdon complaining about it.
                Maybe it's cos he hasn't made the final session of a best of 35 final or gone the length of a best of 19 or a best of 11 in a loooooooooooong time?!

He simply forgot what it's like

Of course he's entitled to his own opinion but it's the same for everyone and that's what matters, really! And it's not like it's the same thing in every tournament. :snooker:
                Winner of C77's Masters Fantasy Game 2010
                Joint-winner of montoya10/theasaris' Shanghai Masters Fantasy Game 2010

Comment

Originally Posted by superaussie View Post
                  well said peter straight talking as ever

I Peter doesn't like best of 7, fine, he's entitled his opinion. But the reasons he raised for his complaints just don't hold the water. He's beeing playing mini-sessions of 7 frames without "tea cup break" or table servicing for 20 years and it never seemed to bother him.

Comment

Peter has always been the Same! Unless hes Winning of Course.

He has been playing Tactics on his Opponents for years taking so Much Time Per Shot etc etc! Which he should have been Warned for at least as its Bad for the Game.

Comment

Well was it for Peters best but indeed we saw a lot of horrible kicks...
                      2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
                      2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

Originally Posted by missneworleans View Post
                        Well was it for Peters best but indeed we saw a lot of horrible kicks...
                        We saw a lot of kicks in Berlin also and the format was the regular one and the tables were brushed at MSI. The room was very hot and dry and this was probably the reason for them.

Comment

To be fair, 7 frames without the table being brushed can only be played if there are 11 frames in the session, and even then only if the match goes to a decider. Here it's the default format, with a lot of 4-3 results. But whether Ebdon is right or not, other players seem perfectly willing to accept the conditions. They've been tolerating kicks for a long time, so I don't see that changing any time soon.

As for his other criticisms of the format, I agree with him entirely, and it's a shame that his position is now viewed as some sort of stubborn opposition to progress.

Comment

I'm trying to read what Ebdons said but all I can make out is "Blah Blah Blah, Whinge Bitch Moan".
                            Fantasy Game Overall Winner 09/10 - World Championship 2009 Fantasy Game Winner - Seasonlong Prediction Contest Overall Winner 09/10 - Seasonlong Prediction Contest Runner-Up 08/09 - UK Championship 2010 Prediction Contest Winner - Rileys @ Chorlton Pool Team Merit Winner 07/08, 09/10:snooker:

Comment

PE might be a lot of things but he's aware that it might make him unpopular if he stands up and give this opinion, i can't believe he's in a minority of 1. Where are the other voices? Probably too scared to be seen as a whinger.

Can't speak about the brushing i'm not experienced enough a player to comment but it is sad to see formats getting shorter and shorter.

Good on him for not caring about his detractors. Who's opinion is more valid anyway?

Comment

Working...
                              X