No announcement yet.

english football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

saw something different in this game though to the others, they all seemed to want to play. And it showed.

defending was bit lapse but over all didnt think was bad result for pearce. maybe he is the reason they are starting to put the effort in, there was no one more patriotic than 'psycho'

glad saw some new faces, getting rid of the old guard is a good move.

Comment

Originally Posted by paddybhoy30 View Post
      Why is there no teams left in the champions league then. There's more than barca that's better.
      It's not always the best team that wins the CL!
      Billiard Fitters always have time for a nap!

Comment

They did O.K.
        I know Alan Shearer would have said they "done o.k." but then he is just a tit who cannot speak his own language properly.
        I too am glad that the old guard were out, they've had their chance and failed everytime, Rooney included. Trouble is they'll be back come the Euros in the summer.

I would have liked to have seen a front three of Zamora, Defoe and Sturridge, a midfield of Parker. Lennon and Downing with the back four as it was and Hart in goal. Zamora is easily the best target man England have, passes stick to him and he lays it off to others really well, holds it up when neccessary so can play upfront on his own. Defoe is Englands best goalscorer, quick over five yards, two footed and shoots on sight and doesn't just get it on target but tries to get it past the keeper, unlike Bent who hits the keeper nearly all the time and only scores when his luck is in, or is on form as it's sometimes known. Sturridge is very left footed but has some good skills and would benefit the team by playing just in front of Zamora and Defoe, picking up passes from defence and feeding either the front two or the two wide midfielders Lennon and Downing. Parker to be the one holding player in front of the back four, only need one ballwinner as everyone else needs to be able to create or keep the ball.
        This team could hit long passes out of defence to Zamora, short passes to Sturridge in the centre and Lennon and Downing out wide, both of whom could swap wings now and again and as all the forwards and midfield are comfortable on the ball, could hold possession for periods while drawing the opposition out of position with short one/two passing. Parker has a great engine but needs to use it only in the space in front of the back four rather than the whole of the midfield and run himself into exhaustion, he reads the game well enough and uses his noggin to cut out passes and runs from opposing forwards. Remember, the first five yards are in your head and an intelligent player is aware of things before they happen. Could also do a man marking job if required, not something you see much these days but if the opposing team does have a player that makes them tick then put someone on him and they don't function.
        The defence basically picks itself, anyone from Terry, Ferdinand, Baines, Cole, Jones, Richards, Lescott, Cahill and Smalling. Trouble is they all must learn to cope with players like Robben who dive at every opportunity. They have to shadow and shepherd them, not dive into the tackle and allow him to fall over for free kicks, (which he will do, and not just him it must be said), if nothing is coming from open play.
        Hart deserves his place but who is to be #2 now that Foster has made himself unavailable I don't know.
        Crouch, Rooney, Walcott, Johnson and two of the defenders on the bench and Jose Mourinho as my #2

Comment

So Roy Hodgson gets the job and not the media favourite Harry Rednapp. Good decision by the F.A. imo. Roy has proved himself all over the world as a top coach at both club and international level. Didn't happen at Liverpool I know, but I believe that that was down to the players themselves who clearly didn't want to play for him.
          Roy is at his best working with players who are not considered top class and therefore not blinded by their own publicity and inflated egos, players who will listen to him and take his experience on board. He did it with Switzerland, Fulham and now with West Brom. He has been thrown in at the deep end so to speak by having to go straight into a tournament without the backing of the media and therefore those football fans whose only thoughts come to them from the back pages of the tabloids. He may simply bow to that pressure and pick the old guard, who no doubt will fail again, before he goes his own way or he may be brave enough to start as he means to go on and give the players that he sees as the future the experience of playing in a tournament.
          We will see.

Comment

Good start by Roy, defending zonally and making it hard for teams to pass their way through. Has the defence right but needs more creative players in the midfield. Oxlade-Chamberlain made a good debut but is not a natural leftie and came inside too often, could have played him on the right with Downing on the left and Milner on the beach, no room in the team for someone who can't hit an empty net.
            Young and Wellbeck did O.K. up front but ran out steam in the second half due to the heat and should have been substituted at half time. I don't rate Gerrard as a playmaker or captain, his first touch is poor and he relies too much on his engine which is fine when playing in the english winter but in the heat of the summer the first touch is vital when needing to keep possession.
            France are some peoples favourites for the championship but IMO England made them look ordinary, which in fact they are.
            Roll on Sweden on friday night.

Does anyone else get really fed up with Alan Hansens ridiculous superlatives when commenting on the ordinary. Shevshenko's opener last night for example was described as a "phenomenal header" after "a brilliant run" when all he really did was head it in from the edge of the six yard box, couldn't miss really. I myself used to score many phenomenal goals like that after trotting into the box and meeting a cross that was right on my head. No wonder the youngsters of today have no real idea of what is in fact brilliant and are full of hope everytime England take to the field only for those hopes to be dashed 90 minutes later.
            Still Hansen was just a clodhopping centre half and probably has no real idea of real footballing skill and anything just above hoofing it he considers artistry.

Comment

I agree with you that hansen is total tit. But you can't win that many honours by being mediocre.

Comment

You were doing quite well until you described Alan Hansen as a clodhopping centre half, there's now absolutely no doubt in my mind that you don't have a clue what you are talking about!

Comment

The clodhoppers were prefered to Hanson which was a joke as he was an outstanding football playing centre half way before his time.

Comment

Originally Posted by bigandyg View Post
                    The clodhoppers were prefered to Hanson which was a joke as he was an outstanding football playing centre half way before his time.
                    Being Scottish has nothing to do with that opinion of course, but hey what about Martin Buchan in the 70's considered to be the Scottish Bobby Moore who played in the 60's and was described by none other than Pele as the finest defender he ever faced.
                    Before his time my arse.

Comment

Sweden next. Will they be on a role after winning the Eurovision Song Contest?

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                        Being Scottish has nothing to do with that opinion of course, but hey what about Martin Buchan in the 70's considered to be the Scottish Bobby Moore who played in the 60's and was described by none other than Pele as the finest defender he ever faced.
                        Before his time my arse.
                        Being Scottish has nothing to do with my opinion because I'm English! If you have seen Hansen play as much as I have you would realise you are actually talking out of yours!

Comment

Originally Posted by Ex Enbild Fitter View Post
                          Being Scottish has nothing to do with my opinion because I'm English! If you have seen Hansen play as much as I have you would realise you are actually talking out of yours!
                          Who did I quote dumbass, you ?

Liverpool fan then, which makes you just as blinkered.

Comment

Hansen was no better than Radcliffe Mountfield Pallister Bruce and is played out on the beeb,and whats with inviting these goofball european's re Seedorf,their analysis is boring enough as it is!

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                              Who did I quote dumbass, you ?

Liverpool fan then, which makes you just as blinkered.
                              Dumbass? Oh dear you sound like a right clown. I never said you had quoted me did I? I was merely trying to explain that my views on Alan Hansen weren't because of being Scottish in case you saw my Edinburgh location and thought they were as you did with the other poster. Not sure if you'll understand the logic in that as you don't come across as the brightest, however if you're struggling ask an adult to help you.

Now back to the original point, not sure if you watch football probably not due to your limited knowledge, however no-one in their right mind ( stretching it with you I know) could fail to have seen the quality Alan Hansen possessed as a player.

Comment

Originally Posted by trains View Post
                                Hansen was no better than Radcliffe Mountfield Pallister Bruce and is played out on the beeb,and whats with inviting these goofball european's re Seedorf,their analysis is boring enough as it is!
                                All good players particularly Radcliffe who had exceptional pace also.

Comment

Working...
                                X