The next British Heavyweight World Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The next British Heavyweight World Champion

I think this kid is on his way to the top of the fight game and will become a World Champion. Mind you I thought this about Jack Lisowski too

Promoted by Barry Hearn's lad Eddie - good luck to him - hope all snooker fans get behind the kid he got potential I think.

Comment

certainly got potential there mate. I am always sceptical and reserved when boxers present a certain physique as it can limit technique although these days especially in the heavyweight division of its becoming the norm. I prefer the lithe Calzaghe regiment
      On Cue Facebook Page
      Stuart Graham Coaching Website - On a break until March 2015
      Ton Praram Cues UK Price List

Comment

Calzaghe was a great fighter at his weight and a undoubted legend - This kid is a quick heavyweight for his size though - 3 and 0 at the moment with 3 ko's - early days but he has a gold medal under his belt - and the best prospect I have seen at Heavyweight since Lennox Lewis and I like his attitude - he is modest and laid back but highly focused and he understands he is learning.

I like that inner focus - and the fact he has the hustle behind the muscle - call it what you will but he seems to have that all imortant eye of the tiger to up it a gear and finish or adapt to any situation in the ring.

He is bigger than Bruno with better movement and speed - frightening for any opponent to face and the best heavyweight prospect for a long long while - He has already battered Tyson Fury in sparring when he was a lot younger I believe.

Comment

My interest in British boxing and in turn boxing as a sport has dropped as a result of the quality and passion of fighters has plummeted. Several times I have revisited fights of the 80s and 90s to reminisce about Andries, Eubank, Benn, Watson, McGuigan, Lewis, and Collins to name just a few.

I used to love my time watching boughts in sportshalls and leisure centres up and down the country for regional titles trying to spot the one that could break the international scene.
          On Cue Facebook Page

Comment

Eubanks kid is doing ok at the moment too - but yeah I agree Nigel Benn v everyone golden era of British boxing - Hearn Jnr on his way to rejuvenating the sport of boxing again though - Just like they are trying to do with do with snooker/darts.

My two favorite sports - boxing and snooker

Comment

The Hearn dynasty has done a lot for 'marginalised' sports, not everyone will be appreciative but the sports have moved on and survived with a chance to flourish again.

The Frotch v Groves fight really brought an interest to what had been a very mediocre weight division in this country
              On Cue Facebook Page

Comment

Joshua def a cracking prospect, but so was David Price unfortunately :-( As soon as he came up against someone that could bang a bit that was the end of that! Joshua has got all the right attributes to be number one, would like to see Eddie put him in with some decent heavyweights sooner rather than later tho-just to see gauge how good he actually is. Remember Audley 'Ordinary' Harrison another one of our Gold medal winners....................

Comment

Until he's put in with someone who hits him back you will never know with prospects, but as has been said he seems a nice lad and good luck to him, I don't know if he is injury prone, did he not pull out of his last fight with an injury? I could be mistaken.
                  The heavyweight division is wide open now as it looks like the Klitchkos (sp) have had enough.
                  This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                  https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Hopefully he is better than Lewis in the future.

Comment

Hopefully better than Lewis?? If he ends up being half as good as Lewis he'll be doing alright :-)

Comment

He does look very good but most fighters do against people that don't hit them back so until they stop putting tomato cans in with him we won't know his true talent.

Wining Olympic Gold in the super heavyweight division is obviously good but he was comfortably outboxed in the first round against the Cuban and was given a very bad home town decision.

Boxing imo has been ruined by far to many governing bodies meaning any chump can get a crack at the title.
                        It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Agree 100% That's why Eddie needs to fast track him and get him in with people that know what they are doing, not just cannon fodder. From a business point of view you cant blame him though, he needs to maximise his profits-if Joshua gets sparked early on in his career that has a major impact on Eddies bottom line.

Comment

Originally Posted by Rob153 View Post
                            Joshua def a cracking prospect, but so was David Price unfortunately :-( As soon as he came up against someone that could bang a bit that was the end of that! Joshua has got all the right attributes to be number one, would like to see Eddie put him in with some decent heavyweights sooner rather than later tho-just to see gauge how good he actually is. Remember Audley 'Ordinary' Harrison another one of our Gold medal winners....................
                            I think Price can certainly punch but he is lacking in speed and technique and the all important chin area it seems - also his Jab against Tony Thompson was like swatting a fly - no real intentions on it - too sloppy at world level though he may well bounce back.

Audley did not have it - not fair to compare the two - plenty of others have won gold and gone on to big things. It is a start - and I actually think he has improved greatly since turning pro - He has trimmed down his stamina looks better and his jab is getting much better and he looks quicker - His willingness to get nasty and finish at will is there and knowledge of how to adapt during a fight will only improve with experience.

His best attributes are his punching power and most importantly the right attitude which he demonstrates on the opening video - My money is on him being a World Champion - I think not rushing him is right - he is not headlining bills taking on these opponents he is on the under-card - his time will come. Nice lad good luck to him and Mr Hearn - think they will both make millions.

Hope he gets more fights on normal TV too then his popularity can grow - seems a nice lad when he is not knocking seven bells out of the other fella.
                            Last edited by Byrom; 10 January 2014, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                              I think Price can certainly punch but he is lacking in speed and technique and the all important chin area it seems - also his Jab against Tony Thompson was like swatting a fly - no real intentions on it - too sloppy at world level though he may well bounce back.

Audley did not have it - not fair to compare the two - plenty of others have won gold and gone on to big things. It is a start - and I actually think he has improved greatly since turning pro - He has trimmed down his stamina looks better and his jab is getting much better and he looks quicker - His willingness to get nasty and finish at will is there and knowledge of how to adapt during a fight will only improve with experience.

His best attributes are his punching power and most importantly the right attitude which he demonstrates on the opening video - My money is on him being a World Champion - I think not rushing him is right - he is not headlining bills taking on these opponents he is on the under-card - his time will come. Nice lad good luck to him and Mr Hearn - think they will both make millions.

Hope he gets more fights on normal TV too then his popularity can grow - seems a nice lad when he is not knock seven bells out of the other fella.

Price is/was just another typical horizontal British Heavyweight- fine when someone stands in front of him begging to knocked out, as soon as plan A fails hasn't a clue, non-existent footwork etc....Audrey def never had it, No heart whatsoever and def couldn't take a punch, seemed to flinch every time someone even feigned a punch.

Joshua looks the real deal just don't think it's going to do him any real favours by putting nobody's in front of him. British boxing needs boxers like him rather than Domestic level fighters at best like Fury & Chisora. I agree totally looks like a future world champion very 'Lewis' like and to me that's def a very good thing.

My two favourite sports Snooker & Boxing, one extreme to the other.....nothing beats Big fight Night in Sin City though :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X