No announcement yet.

Brexit, in or out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ian Duncan Smith said that tariff free trade is not only EU wide but treaties have been agreed between all individual EU countries as well due to trademarks etc.
    If we vote to leave all that would be needed is a yes from each individual country in the EU to simply carry on as we are, not the years of uncertainty and negotiation that's been touted.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
      Ian Duncan Smith said that tariff free trade is not only EU wide but treaties have been agreed between all individual EU countries as well due to trademarks etc.
      If we vote to leave all that would be needed is a yes from each individual country in the EU to simply carry on as we are, not the years of uncertainty and negotiation that's been touted.
      Well If I were French and we tried to pull that stunt 'to have our cake and eat it' personally I would tell us to take a run and jump, pretty sure that is what they will do!
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
        Well If I were French and we tried to pull that stunt 'to have our cake and eat it' personally I would tell us to take a run and jump, pretty sure that is what they will do!
        Not a chance, companies are global nowadays, the French government would get sued if they stopped any company trading with us. To you think EDF can be stopped from supplying us with energy, they aren't going to lose hundreds of millions for anyone. Profit is the only principle to these guys.
        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
          Not a chance, companies are global nowadays, the French government would get sued if they stopped any company trading with us. To you think EDF can be stopped from supplying us with energy, they aren't going to lose hundreds of millions for anyone. Profit is the only principle to these guys.
          They don't have to stop they just have to treat us the same way they treat the USA for example.

Comment

These companies will be tied into agreements for years, they can't just change at the drop of a hat. It's scaremongering, we are around the fifth biggest ecconomy in the world( says fifth on wiki, but I find that hard to believe), no one will turn away from that or make it hard to trade with us, too much money and too many jobs involved on both sides of the channel. There is no way Germany will put up tariffs to make it more expensive for us to buy their cars, for example, it just doesn't make sense, to either countries economy.

Comment

Mate we are import reliant not export reliant check what it costs Norway to have these agreements while not being a member of the club

Comment

Exactly, they won't put up barriers to sell us their cars will they. We will just buy from Japan, they won't cut their own throats. I'm not sure what way to vote but I know bull kack when I see it, you are talking billions upon billions we buy and sell to and from European countries, how many jobs will it cost them if we went else where?.

Comment

If you want to argue about all the good things the EU has done for us, there are many, from workers rights, giving part time workers the same rights as full time workers for example, equal pay for men and women, paid leave, all from being members of the EU, but I'm not having getting isolated economically if we leave, it's just trying to scare folk.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                    If you want to argue about all the good things the EU has done for us, there are many, from workers rights, giving part time workers the same rights as full time workers for example, equal pay for men and women, paid leave, all from being members of the EU, but I'm not having getting isolated economically if we leave, it's just trying to scare folk.
                    there are many reasons for and against the EU but neither side is mentioning them! It is not about isolated it is about at what cost.

Comment

• Just one point. The Free Trade Agreement between Canada, USA and Mexico took Years to negotiate (Mexico was the stumbling block) and that was with just THREE countries attempting to negotiate.

If the UK leaves the EU she will have to negotiate Free Trade agreements with around 20 countries and who says how long that could take.

The other point you're missing is it will be the UK imposing tariffs to protect UK industry (like car manufacturing for example) and once they do that other countries will erect trade barriers against the UK. The best and most efficient trading environment is absolutely no tariffs but of course that will never happen wherever there is really cheap labour resulting is cheaper products. You can see this right now with Chinese, South Korean and som other countries. Here in Canada and USA it used to be 'Japanese knock-offs' as I'm sure it was in Britain. Eventually it will all balance out unless various countries decide to impose trade tariffs to protect their home-grown industries.

For the UK it was never a problem before WWI as you had all those colonies supplying cheap goods which were then marked up by British firms for resale in the relatively rich environment in Britain at the time. Why to you think you had the Boston Tea Party and the American revolution?

Remaining part of the largest trading block on earth just makes sense to me, as then the EU can negotiate effectively and with a lot of force with USA, Canada, China and Russia and any other large economy which comes along.
                      Terry Davidson
                      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• That's starting from scratch Terry, we already have trade agreements, that's why when folk mention Norway etc it's pointless , they negotiated from the outside in ,so to speak ,we are negotiating from the inside out, which makes it a totally different senario. There is no business that's going to walk away or make it harder to do business in any market, for a starter their share holders wouldn't put up with it, politicians can shout and moan all they want, they don't run things now ,corporations do, go and look at the Koch brothers in America, or the Rothchilds, see who runs what in this world. I have no doubt they could just set up an office in the UK, even if it's just a nameplate and their lawyers will wangle around any money they are meant to pay.
                        I also looked up our trade deficit to Europe, it's around six percent, about 46. Odds exports to 53 imports according to one report in the Independant which makes it around 30 billion which is a big number but its out of a total of around 500 billion, so I wouldn't call us heavily dependant on imports, but there is definitely a deficit. In other words they buy a hell of a load of stuff from us as well, so while we don't hold all the cards, we may have a decent Ace King suited.

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                          That's starting from scratch Terry, we already have trade agreements, that's why when folk mention Norway etc it's pointless , they negotiated from the outside in ,so to speak ,we are negotiating from the inside out, which makes it a totally different senario. There is no business that's going to walk away or make it harder to do business in any market, for a starter their share holders wouldn't put up with it, politicians can shout and moan all they want, they don't run things now ,corporations do, go and look at the Koch brothers in America, or the Rothchilds, see who runs what in this world. I have no doubt they could just set up an office in the UK, even if it's just a nameplate and their lawyers will wangle around any money they are meant to pay.
                          I also looked up our trade deficit to Europe, it's around six percent, about 46. Odds exports to 53 imports according to one report in the Independant which makes it around 30 billion which is a big number but its out of a total of around 500 billion, so I wouldn't call us heavily dependant on imports, but there is definitely a deficit. In other words they buy a hell of a load of stuff from us as well, so while we don't hold all the cards, we may have a decent Ace King suited.
                          The difference is in what we import - food stuffs etc. they go off and are not optional.

Comment

• Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                            The difference is in what we import - food stuffs etc. they go off and are not optional.
                            Maybe it would provide the stimulus for us to produce our own goods for a change?

This is class warfare for me: anyone earning 30k or less and not wanting brexit need their heads read. I suspect that is most of us.

Impossible for the lower orders (sic) to escape the tyranny of the great neo liberal experiment without brexit.

Comment

• Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                              What food stuffs do we get from Europe that we can't get from anywhere else in the world. Hang on are you getting worried about your expensive wines

Comment

• Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
                                Maybe it would provide the stimulus for us to produce our own goods for a change?

This is class warfare for me: anyone earning 30k or less and not wanting brexit need their heads read. I suspect that is most of us.

Impossible for the lower orders (sic) to escape the tyranny of the great neo liberal experiment without brexit.
                                I don't believe any of the sides are showing their real hands, and the down trodden are certainly not heading into some new nirvana if the Tory boy who let slip last week that he can't wait for us to leave so "we can do away with all these workers rights", is a fair representative of the leave side.

Comment

Working...
                                X